No announcement yet.

Triano Gets Big Spread Story In N.Y. Times - Canada Gives U.S. Unlikely Assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triano Gets Big Spread Story In N.Y. Times - Canada Gives U.S. Unlikely Assist

Canada Gives U.S. Unlikely Assist
    By PETE THAMEL
    Published: August 27, 2010

Douglas C. Pizac/Associated Press

Jay Triano during the Vancouver Games torch relay. He’s a U.S. assistant at the worlds in Turkey.

ISTANBUL — There are plenty of small reminders that the United States no longer holds a monopoly on basketball.

The Americans are No. 2 behind Argentina in the FIBA rankings. The United States has not won a gold medal at the world championships since 1994. The current team even used a strategy long employed by opponents to slow more talented American teams, a 2-3 zone, to preserve a victory over Spain in Madrid on Sunday.

Another sign of a flatter basketball world has shown up on the American bench, where the Canadian Jay Triano will be an assistant coach for the world championships, which begin Saturday. The United States will open against Croatia. Triano’s hiring as a last-minute replacement for Mike D’Antoni, who had back problems, makes him the first non-American to coach for the United States national team.

“If anyone has taken the lead in the globalization in sports, it’s the N.B.A.,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball’s chairman. “This is a microcosm of what that represents.”

Other than Steve Nash, no one epitomizes Canadian basketball more than Triano.
    Triano coached the team from 1998 to 2004, when his firing prompted harsh words from Nash and bad feelings in much of the Canadian basketball community. It is not considered a coincidence that Nash has not suited up for Canada since.
    Triano rooted for the old Buffalo Braves of the N.B.A., and he watched Frank Layden’s and Calvin Murphy’s great teams at Niagara University with awe.

cont on link

I saw Murphy play a lot when he was at Niagara. He was really something to watch. He went on to have a very good career with Houston

He averaged 18 ppg for his career
    He had a career FT% of .892 including .958 one season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...murphca01.html
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Aug 28, 2010, 09:57 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Good for Triano! He deserves recognition for his accomplishments- a long list that I wasnt aware of actually. He has done a lot for Canadian basketball and has the experience to be at the helm of the raptors. trust him guys! Maybe he'll pick up a thing or two coaching for the U.S.

Comment

the_aftermath wrote: View Post
      Good for Triano! He deserves recognition for his accomplishments- a long list that I wasnt aware of actually. He has done a lot for Canadian basketball and has the experience to be at the helm of the raptors. trust him guys! Maybe he'll pick up a thing or two coaching for the U.S.
      I found the story within the story of Nash not wanting to play for team Canada anymore after Triano got fired. I have no idea if it is true but it is an interesting speculation nonetheless.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        I found the story within the story of Nash not wanting to play for team Canada anymore after Triano got fired. I have no idea if it is true but it is an interesting speculation nonetheless.
        It's absolutely true. Nash wasn't shy about speaking about it publicly at the time.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if Triano and BC can survive the departure of Bosh.

I have never looked at the numbers on it. however, my gut is that within 2 seasons after a team's max player has left that the head coach and/or the GM are history, unless he is traded away for equivalent or better talent.

Comment

I'm wondering if Jerry Colangelo did this as a favour to his son? Triano will get to work with some of the top coaches in the U.S. and possibly bring some new strategies and/or plays home to the Raptors. At least it can't hurt Jay or the Raptors, unlike our boy Turkeyjizz last season... or possibly Jose this year.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
              I'm wondering if Jerry Colangelo did this as a favour to his son? Triano will get to work with some of the top coaches in the U.S. and possibly bring some new strategies and/or plays home to the Raptors. At least it can't hurt Jay or the Raptors, unlike our boy Turkeyjizz last season... or possibly Jose this year.
              Maybe there were some other possible choices once D'Antoni dropped out but Triano has been associated with team USA for a number of years, working in the capacity as a consultant, helping the American players learn about the international game. So it is not like Triano prior to this season was not an integral part of the team USA organization.

In addition with his coaching experience and success last season developing the Raptors YGZ® it seems like he would have been a natural choice to step in as an assistant once D'Antoni (excuse the pun) backed out.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                definitely not. triano was part of the u.s. program since like 05 or 06.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

A big reason why Triano is an assitant with the U.S team is because of Bryan's connection to Jerry and I'm perfectly fine with the admitting that. In fact, I'm glad that through Bryan's connection it allows our coach to gain some valuable experience developing his craft by learning from some of the best coaches in the sport. He also gets to work with some of the sports best players and be around a winning attitude and enviroment. It nice to see Triano getting some praise in a fine paper like the N.Y times and I think it lends to increasing his credibility as a leader around the league.

Comment

Working...
                  X