Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbosa Almost Leads Brazil Past USA

What do we really make of this?

Is this promising for the new look Raptors next season or is it just a case of Good NBA players looking much better on their respective Country team due to less overall talent.

I personally think this is really promising for the Raps next season. It shows those players are willing to lead their teams and build confidence coming into the upcoming season. Whether it translates into an NBA game and whether all these different players will mesh together still remains to be seen.

Barbosa's #'s against US: 14pts / 4 asts / 4rbs / 4stl / 3to /36min

http://espn.go.com/extra/fiba/boxscore?gameId=300832917

It's nice to see Barbosa putting up decent numbers. The only concern is his efficiency; 3/13 from downtown, 5/18 altogether. The last thing we need for the Raps is a player who ends up taking poor shots early in the clock. Hopefully Barbosa doesn't carry that "leading scorer" mentality into the NBA season.

Comment

I would like to agree. However, if we look at the boxscore carefully we wouldn't want him attempting and missing that many 3 pointers. lol. I do like the 4 steals and 4 assists though.

Comment

I don't think it means anything, as Barbosa has already created his identity in this league. To me, Barbosa is a guy who loves basketball and will play with the same passion wherever he is. Kleiza is much the same way. I think it is promising for sure, but not something I didn't already know we were getting.

Comment

I wonder sometimes if folks who comment actually watch any NBA basketball outside of TO? Barbosa already has his game established in the NBA. Plus he plays defense. So, he had an off game shooting, they still almost beat Teasm USA w/ Barbosa's off night. Brazil has a very nice team, Splitter w/ be real nice next to Duncan in SA. *Barbosa is a shooting guard- point blank.

Kleiza I'm not sold on as a SF- especially a starting SF in TO, more of a stretch 4 in my mind.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
            I wonder sometimes if folks who comment actually watch any NBA basketball outside of TO? Barbosa already has his game established in the NBA. Plus he plays defense. So, he had an off game shooting, they still almost beat Teasm USA w/ Barbosa's off night. Brazil has a very nice team, Splitter w/ be real nice next to Duncan in SA. *Barbosa is a shooting guard- point blank.

Kleiza I'm not sold on as a SF- especially a starting SF in TO, more of a stretch 4 in my mind.
            Sorry, I'm a tad confused. Which of the above comments led you to wonder "if folks...actually watch any NBA basketball outside of TO?" Are you trying to say that Barbosa routinely has such horrendous shooting nights? Are you trying to defend his poor shooting, despite the fact that nobody attempted to use the stat line as a straight-up indictment of Barbosa's game? Please, elaborate.

Comment

Taking 13 3 pointers + 5/18 from the floor = shitty game.

I think it's a classic case of I'm the best NBA player for my country and I'm playing the USA so I'm gonna shoot shoot shoot and try to prove something.

Comment

OTFP wrote: View Post
                Taking 13 3 pointers + 5/18 from the floor = shitty game.

I think it's a classic case of I'm the best NBA player for my country and I'm playing the USA so I'm gonna shoot shoot shoot and try to prove something.
                I addressed this with the comment below which is on the World Basketball Championship 2010 thread. see link below

He was 3 - 13 on three balls. The two teams combined were 16 - 45 on threes. So the rest of the guys were 13 - 32 which is just over 40%.

The problem was not that his shots were so much long or short, but a number of them were not on line but off to the side. When your jump shots especially the open ones and/or free throws are off line it usually means that there is a mechanics problem with your shooting.

His minute totals are

36 yesterday
                ----
                84 Total in 3 calendar days.

That is a heck of a lot of minutes to log in three days.

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/esp.../schedule.html

If he was physically tired it could also have messed up his mechanics. It could also be the reason that he took more three ball shots yesterday rather than getting into the paint like it appears he did a lot more of the first two games.

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/esp...0/profile.html
                http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...mpionship-2010
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Yeah so he's tired and he settles for 3's.
                  Shitty game.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post

that's hilarious. only someone who doesn't actually watch non-TO games would think barbosa is a good defender. or by simply stating, 'plus, he plays defense,' you were merely pointing out that he is on the floor & therefore 'plays defense,' much like the living breathe air.
                    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Ya I don't think Bosa is known for his defense

Comment

Barbosa is known for his long body (his arms are super long and very quick) and he is quick with his feet, ball and hands. Thus he has a pretty decent man to man defence... That was a shit game. He didn't almost lead BRA against USA. He probably caused them to lose. Watch the game, all the unnecessary shots.. Kinda like Beli on a bad day... Barbosa should never try and play point, EVER AGAIN.

Comment

So he lead his team in steals, was second in points and assists, tied for 3rd in rebounds and led in minutes played but he wasn't leading his team in almost taking the US down?? Im a bit confused!

Yes he had a poor shooting night
                          Would he take that many 3pt attempts in an NBA game? No.
                          Has he logged a lot of min for Brazil. Yes, which obviously has affected his shooting. (point in case: he shot 2-2 3pts and 8-11 overall against Tunisia and was 5-10 against Iran)

Lets look at this game in the proper context....he's probably the top 1 or 2 player on this current Brazil squad so obviously he's going to feel like he needs to lead in scoring and that means a lot of shot attempts (HE IS a shooting guard). He has a shooters mentality...if he misses, he's not going to let that affect him taking more shots.
                          Im sure his shot selection will be a bit more careful when he is playing for the Raps but as was said previously he had an off shooting night and they still almost took down the US!

Comment

Turkey vs Greece
                            Turkoglu
                            2-12 + 2-9 from 3 = 8 pts
                            OMG HE LED HIS TEAM TO VICTORY

Comment

Anybody see the Lithuania vs. Spain game? Kleiza was a monster, and Rubio looks horrible!

Comment

Working...
                              X