Raptors Have A Swagger About Them That's Very Similar To The Swagger In OKC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Have A Swagger About Them That's Very Similar To The Swagger In OKC

Steve Kyler from Hoopsworld has to be one of the most optimistic (or realistic) NBA media types out there when it comes to the Raptors. I recall a couple weeks back he discussed how things in Toronto likely won't be as bad as many think since Bosh's departure. Today he reaffirms that with his comments below.

Andrew in Toronto: Think the raps can slip into that 8th spot this year? I think the Raps could really surprise some people this year. Young, fun, athletic, good chemistry. Sure they'll get blown out some games, but could be fun to watch!

Steve Kyler: I like this Raptors' squad... I think this team is better from the first man to the last than any team in a while and they don;t have nearly the drama around them... they need young guys to grow up fast, but there was a swagger about them in Vegas and its very similar to the swagger OKC has...

I am not ready to say 8th seed, but I think they can be in the discussion for sure... but a lot of guys have to grow up and play to their ability.
    Not that Kyler knows anything forsure, but his response here seems pretty bang on for those who think Toronto could be in the running for the Carmelo Anthony sweepstakes.

Raptor Fan in Toronto: Hey Steve, any chance the Raptors will use the TPE on a player before the start of the season. Seems like the Nuggets are on fire sale. Could a guy like Nene be had?

Steve Kyler: What it seems and what it is are two different things... there hasn't been a voice in Denver to defuse the rumors and speculation that feeds itself.

What you think you know about Denver and whats really going on are two different things... The Nuggets view themselves as a Western Conference Finals team as constructed... they are not tearing that apart on a whim because people in Carmelo's life think the grass is greener in New York.

As for Toronto and the TPE... Bryan says he'll use it on the right player... but keep in mind the Raptors payroll is just over $61 million... unless they get a home run player, the odds they add a bunch of money to the salary cap is unlikely and they won't pay luxury tax unless it assures them a 2nd round playoff berth.
    Source - Steve Kyler Hoopsworld Chat

Kyler covers the Nuggets for Hoopsworld.

I have communicated with him and he is a nice guy and very knowledgeable but is a Nugget homer 4sure.

So he is not going to try and stir up Melo trade rumors.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Buddah. Truthfully, it was more of his comments pertaining to the youthful swagger that enticed me to post it. Not really to dispel the Melo to Toronto talk, but I didn't think Melo to Toronto was going to happen in the first place.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
        Thanks for the clarification Buddah. Truthfully, it was more of his comments pertaining to the youthful swagger that enticed me to post it. Not really to dispel the Melo to Toronto talk, but I didn't think Melo to Toronto was going to happen in the first place.
        Like I said yesterday I put it at 3-2 assuming that he is even traded. I didn't mention the assume that he is even traded yesterday but while there have been rumors on it I wouldn't put that at more than even money. So if you multiply the two probabilities you get about 20% or 4-1 that he will get traded to Toronto. Those are long odds

Yes there is a swagger to the YGZ® in general. From what I have seen of Kleiza's play in this FIBA tournament he is showing a lot of aggressiveness and definitely some swagger. Hopefully it spreads to the other players
        Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Sep 1, 2010, 12:55 PM.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

can we stop talking about melo to Toronto it will never fricken happen so we should just concentrate on the team that we have right now instead of hoping for a Saviour
          ya dun noe

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
            can we stop talking about melo to Toronto it will never fricken happen so we should just concentrate on the team that we have right now instead of hoping for a Saviour
            So let me get this straight....... There is acually a rumor out there that Melo is coming to toronto??? Who started this? And what were they smoking. I agree with you^^^

Comment

I do wish that the swagger would also include Bargs. He seems to lack confidence. Perhaps being out of Bosh's shadow will do him good. Kyler is right, there's no need to really utilize the TPE unless it's a homerun or into the second round of the playoffs. I know that hindsight is 20/20 and that it would really be ideal if Bosh pulled a Melo and became clear with his intentions. Even if we were in the thick of the playoff hunt (being as high as 5th in the eastern conference), we COULD have traded Bosh for something (in any case it was not possible, we were 5th!). Bosh simply played well enough to not make that trade happen because he knows that if Toronto jettisons him to another team then the troika in Miami may never have happened (but then, if he got traded to say Houston, he could stop that as well by just saying to them that he will be a rental and have no intentions of signing. Houston would be foolish to give their future away for a rental player). It was a tough spot for BC.

Not using the TPE and not getting anything in return may be the best thing in the end. As much as I hate players openly bailing out from their respective teams, Melo does have a conscience in prepping his team for the imminent departure. Bosh simply didn't have that and even admitted to toying with people's emotion's (which also included his team mates and his employers).
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I'd swagger too if my summer league team had 4 nba guys on it and I was playing against teams with 1 or 2.

That said, a lot of what Derozan showed in VSL will work in the NBA; he just has to do it with the same confidence.

Comment

Breezyreid wrote: View Post
                  So let me get this straight....... There is acually a rumor out there that Melo is coming to toronto??? Who started this? And what were they smoking. I agree with you^^^
                  There doesn't have to be rumor about a trade for it to happen

There was no rumor about Kleiza.

Though I will agree with a big name star it is hard to keep a trade out of the rumor mill before it happens, though not impossible.

Beside this isn't a rumor about Melo coming to Toronto.

What it is is a discussion about him playing for the Raptors without anyone to my knowledge, myself included saying that there was a good possibility of it happening.

If you don't want to join in a discussion that is your right.

However, to try and shut down a discussion about something no matter how over the top you think it might be is..................

Comment

aintno4s wrote: View Post
                    I'd swagger too if my summer league team had 4 nba guys on it and I was playing against teams with 1 or 2.

That said, a lot of what Derozan showed in VSL will work in the NBA; he just has to do it with the same confidence.
                    True what you say.

My take is that with Bosh last season and DeRozan being a rookie and what not he did the right thing and was a bit laid back, maybe even a bit too much.

However, his basic personality is swagger.

So with him being a sophomore this season and with Bosh gone I expect DeRozan to be a lot more aggressive on offense and thus have a lot more swagger in 10-11 then he did in 09-10

Comment

Bargs has more swagger than the YGZ, Davis, Alabi, and Denzel Washington in American Gangster combined. I say trade all the YGZ except Sonny and get some REAL talent.

Comment

YGZ, OKC, Swagger....am I missing something here. I do believe OKC came pretty darn close to sending the Lakers home last season. They have someone named Durant leading that squad. And I cant remember them strutting around or tweeting with swagger or otherwise a couple of years ago when they hadnt proved anything. Which is exactly where the current squad of the Raps are...havent proved anything or have anyone remotely like KD.

Can we please wait till the games begin and then start handing out kudos or making wild eyed comparisons. I think Steve was being gracious with his remarks to a fan. Wait till he gets hired by espn!

Comment

The Raptors are a Kyrie Irving away from making some real noise..and having some steak rather than just sizzle.

Comment

Unless DD becomes as close or as good as Durant then that swagger will hit the wall right after the first month of the season.

Comment

Hedo and JO had enough swagger to fill the urinal troughs at the old Maple Leaf Gardens, ten times over. I've seen and heard enough off-season swagger - whatever the heck that is. See swagger go poof when the Raps get pushed around by the Celtics for the umpteenth time.

Comment

Working...
                              X