Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Is Canada's Men's Basketball Team So Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The correct answer, by the way, is Rautins.

He's why we failed. Rautins has his team run one of three plays 80% of the time: 5 down, 5 out, or corner ice. The two 5's are more conceptual than actual plays. Smh. It's like the Lakers running the triangle one possession, flex the next, and then capping it off with some obscure Spurs play.
    Joshua Priemski
    NBA blogger
    SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
    www.RufusOnFire.com/
    www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

enough said.
      god, he's brutal. triano fired=any chances of nash comtinuing play in international league.

but, hpnestly, doc. the same can be asked by any sport outside of hockey. alot of canadians don't support basketball or lacrosee, both canadian sports, out in the west cfl is probably tied if not above hockey as a number 1, but, in canda's biggest, most populated province ontario, not a lot of people support it.

what do i suggest, spread the word about how these sports are canadian, if that doesn't work at least you can cross it off the list knowing people are aware these sports are canadian.

secondly, get the more popular sports to advertise it, hockey needs to advertise basketball, lacrosse, etc. maybe, share some revenue. if people start actually caring about these sports maybe it will draw in the big names.

idk, but what i do know is having only 1 out of like 6 nba players playing on your team certainly doesn't help. we have serious problems as a country to allow good things in,. like matt bonner wanting to play for team canda but the country goes no we're not going ot let you help us out and play for our country.

meanwhile we go and let a couple guys who turn out to be terrorists in.off topic a bit but still.

triano had a good thing going he gets fired, just like all the others, it's like when they do something good and then thye don't improve it from the year before they get fired, and then guys who are cosnistently bad get awarded with contract extensions and such.

also, what i think is a recipe for disaster a father coach with his son on the team. i mean, enough said as bad as a coach le already is, having his son on the team, aboslute brutalness.

it's a shame becauseshows like sportsline that just became a new show on chch, and grill room on sun tv talk about this all the time, but, nobody watches those shows.

to make it short and simple and end this rant.

Question:If Sidney Crosby sits out the Olympics, are you pissed?

Fact:Steve Nash hasn't played a game for Canada in the last 6 years.

a read a thing, that said sidney crosby might not play in the upcomign olmpics in russia.

reaction:that fin asshole, piece of no good rotting shiznit son of a biatch.

steve nash hasn't played for canda in the last olympics nor the previous 2 world championships.

reaction:well, ya cause the team's shit.
      Last edited by LBF; Wed Sep 1, 2010, 08:06 PM.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Ugh, what a disappointing performance @ the World's to say the least.

IMO Canada had enough to talent that they should have made it out of the group stage, or at least put up a fight. Not sure what the hell happened.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

enough said.
          Exactly.lol

I didn't like how he handled the whole Dalembert situation. But Canada has some very prominent HS talent in the US plus Bonner should be available in the future. Triano should be the Team Canada head coach not the Raptor's head coach in my opinion.

Comment

Canada's got some absolute young studs coming up the ranks: Cory Joseph, Tristan Thompson, Kris Joseph and a few others I can't remember right now. Many of them are projected NBA 1st or 2nd rounders in the next few years. I hope Leo is gone by then.

Comment

blaze89 wrote: View Post
              but to be honest with you ive never seen an ACTUAL legitimate basketball training center. so tell me, with so little exposure to basketball in this country how are they not going to lose to teams that are more talented? i remember teams like spain and greece are mostly always in it because theyve taken basketball seriously for a long time.
              Hamilton has a Regional Elite development squad...that replaced a National Development program. However, I get your point.
              It's a top down issue. The athletes are there, the interest is there. The structure and the administration may be lacking to take advantage of the players that we have.

Comment

I think Canada needs to find ways to develop a better basketball program. I've lived in Ottawa and Toronto and I know Canada as talent but they aren't scouted like our American neighbors. The NBA is more about entertainment than the actual game. International basketball like Olympics & FIBA is about the game and the game is all about winning. You need your best players to achieve this regardless of if the coach likes them personally or not. Politics dont belong in international basketball.

I have made a list of current and pass players that have played for team Canada which is arguably more talented than any other team in the world except USA.

Starting lineup: (PG) Steve Nash, (SG) Andy Rautins, (SF) Kelly Onylyk (PF) Joel Anthony, (C) Samuel Dalembert
                Bench: Jamal Magloire, Jermaine Anderson, Deham Brown, Carl English, Jaun Mendez, Jehvohn Shepherd, Levon Kendall

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                  Canada's got some absolute young studs coming up the ranks: Cory Joseph, Tristan Thompson, Kris Joseph and a few others I can't remember right now. Many of them are projected NBA 1st or 2nd rounders in the next few years. I hope Leo is gone by then.
                  I'm with you there.

No doubt the future is bright with young studs like Joseph, Thompson and Myck Kabongo, but I think as long as Leo's at the helm it will deter some of these players from joining the men's program. I think now that the FIBA tournament is over for Canada, its time for another change. I'd love to see a guy like Carleton's Dave Smart take over the reigns as head coach. He has experience as an assistant with the program, its time to award him for the amazing job he's done in Ottawa in the CIS over this last decade.

Comment

A lot of Canadian kids dream about growing up to become hockey players. Not so much basketball players. Specially outside of perhaps Ontario and BC. Why? Because their dads played hockey and want nothing to do with basketball. And so did their dad's dads. Also, it's all they can ever watch on TV. On all sports channels. All games. All highlights. It's all they're ever exposed to since childhood.

Just look at the Raps' TV schedule on that other thread and see what the media thinks basketball means to Canadians. The NBA is an American league, and I guess having just 1 team in that league isn't enough to pique the interest of the country. "There aren't that many audiences anyways, so let's push the Raps to some specialty channel only available to few people. We can show more hockey on the main channel that way. Or poker. Or maybe even horse-racing," is probably what they're thinking.

Another reason is the lack of a quality development program that some have mentioned. But again, that stems from the schools not having enough of a care to pay for basketball development, when there's hockey or football instead.

Comment

jlongs wrote: View Post
                      Another reason is the lack of a quality development program that some have mentioned. But again, that stems from the schools not having enough of a care to pay for basketball development, when there's hockey or football instead.
                      So sad, yet so true.

I'm not sure if these schools exist yet in and around the GTA, but out West just outside of Calgary they are now building a highschool that just to caters only to hockey players. Both boys & girls. Apparently outside of your regular classes and 4 hours of daily ice time, they also teach these kids what they can expect after highschool as some potentially go on to be professionals.

How crazy is that?

Apparently

Comment

CrissKali wrote: View Post
                        I think Canada needs to find ways to develop a better basketball program. I've lived in Ottawa and Toronto and I know Canada as talent but they aren't scouted like our American neighbors. The NBA is more about entertainment than the actual game. International basketball like Olympics & FIBA is about the game and the game is all about winning. You need your best players to achieve this regardless of if the coach likes them personally or not. Politics dont belong in international basketball.

I have made a list of current and pass players that have played for team Canada which is arguably more talented than any other team in the world except USA.

Starting lineup: (PG) Steve Nash, (SG) Andy Rautins, (SF) Kelly Onylyk (PF) Joel Anthony, (C) Samuel Dalembert
                        Bench: Jamal Magloire, Jermaine Anderson, Deham Brown, Carl English, Jaun Mendez, Jehvohn Shepherd, Levon Kendall
                        No offense, but that Canadian squad is not even close to what a few of the other top countries could put together if they had their best players available.

Spain is obvious, France could field Parker + Pietrus + Batum + Diaw + Noah with Turiaf off the bench for example. Brazil would be another nasty squad at full strength, I'm sure there are others but I'm not all that up on international rosters. Canada isn't the only nation lacking it's best players.

You do make a good point about the importance of playing the team game vs the entertainment game though, and in a tournament format depth is crucial. The Americans in particular take advantage of this fact, playing pressure D for 40 minutes and getting plenty of the easy baskets that allow them to survive despite their spotty offense. The worlds are a lot like the NBA playoffs in that teams that can consistently play good defense, control tempo and take advantage of mismatches to score easy buckets will often prevail. Canada can play decent D and control tempo but they lack to talent to take advantage of mismatches and consistently generate high percentage looks.

Comment

Lark, I completely agree, that Canadian dream team is still pretty poor compared to other rosters.

I've said this in another thread, but just wait. Over the next 5-10 years, Canada is gonna show the world some serious players. The NBA came to Canada in the 1995, and this whole generation of kids that have grown up watching the game are coming up. I really think we're gonna start seeing the impact that having the Toronto Raptors in town is going to have on the national team. The kids just entering University and also in prep schools in the states right now are legitimate NBA prospects.

Comment

the quality level isn't high, and this is not Rautins fault, but they didn't play at their collective best, and this is Rautins fault. For the new generation, Triano might be a good choice

Comment

Development and basketball programs seems to be the biggest problem for Canada in my opinion.

In Greece for instance the pro league is called A1. As a young baller you work yourself up from say the C or D league. The better and older you get, the higher you climb in teams and leagues until you reach A1 professional status. Those C or D league teams have full-time coaches, arenas/gyms, and staff to develop their players which is all funded by sponsors and the local government. It works very much the same way soccer works in England for instance.
                              The overall program in Greece, Spain, Lithuania, Serbia, etc are so much more developed than Canada's.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                                I'm with you there.

No doubt the future is bright with young studs like Joseph, Thompson and Myck Kabongo, but I think as long as Leo's at the helm it will deter some of these players from joining the men's program. I think now that the FIBA tournament is over for Canada, its time for another change. I'd love to see a guy like Carleton's Dave Smart take over the reigns as head coach. He has experience as an assistant with the program, its time to award him for the amazing job he's done in Ottawa in the CIS over this last decade.
                                Interesting idea. A lot of the young CDN players are already in the junior national programs - is Dave Smart already coaching them? If there is familiarity and respect, then that's a plus.

Otherwise, assuming that in a few years time Leo is gone, then the program will need to pick up the pieces and restore credibility. So at that point they will probably need a boost of credibility by adding a "name" coach with NBA and international track record. There's really only one Canadian guy who fits the bill - Jay Triano, who should be out of work as an NBA head coach and/or working somewhere in the NBA as an assistant. A bonus is that Jay might be able to entice Nash for one last hurrah to mentor the youngsters.

Another option is to look at hiring an non-Canadian international coach, with a track record of success, just like they do in soccer. For example, I believe that David Blatt (who is an Israeli-America) coached the Russian national team to the Eurobasket championship.

Comment

Working...
                                X