No announcement yet.

Lithuania Overpowers China In Win - Kleiza Completely Outplays Yi Jianlian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know how Kleizas leadership skills are? Could a be a potential Captain in the future that helps motivate the team?

Comment

"I think I've changed my game," said Kleiza, averaging 19.5 points and 7.2 rebounds in Lithuania's six games while shooting 55.2 percent. "I'm doing way more things that what I did in Denver. I'm not that one-dimension player that was just shooting threes. I think the year that I invested in Europe really helped.''
      Kleiza had told FanHouse in July after signing the offer sheet he didn't want the Nuggets to match. He believed the Raptors, who play more of an international style due to all their players from outside North America, would fit him much better than Denver.
      that's for all of you who got offended by andrsen's comments.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/09/07/n...to-nba-return/
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Who the hell is fast enough to be able to guard those players? I don't know one player in the league that can guard LeBron. Boston was able to slow him down by teaming up on him. What Kleiza will bring is the ability to prevent the bigger small forwards from scoring in the post, which would be nice.
        Actually, Pierce is not really that fast - he has just made a living on the basketball court with his excellent footwork, up-fakes, head fakes and shoulder fakes.lol. Pierce is someone you actually guard by not biting on his moves and staying on the floor(not jumping up with the fakes and footwork) and if Pierce cans a jumper in your face, you can live with that.

Comment

they'll box, as simple as that

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
            Next up for Lithuania is Argentina.

Kleiza vs Scola.

They could even wind up guarding one another.

Though if I were the Lithuania coach and with each player getting only five fouls in FIBA play I would try and find someone else besides Kleiza to guard Scola

Lithuania probably doesn't have much of a chance and if Kleiza plays the game in foul trouble they will have zero chance.
            They'll box, as simple as that

Comment

pistol pete wrote: View Post
              They'll box, as simple as that
              You really think so?

Who will box Argentina or Lithuania or both?

Please explain your thinking on why you think so.

Thanks
              Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Sep 8, 2010, 11:23 AM.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

You really think so?

Who will box Argentina or Lithuania or both?

Please explain your thinking on why you think so.

Thanks
                Sorry Buddah, I didn't mean to be harsh or rude. I think Lithuania might avoid foul trouble for Kleiza by playing box defence

Comment

pistol pete wrote: View Post
                  Sorry Buddah, I didn't mean to be harsh or rude. I think Lithuania might avoid foul trouble for Kleiza by playing box defence
                  Do you do mean box-and-1?

Basketball Offense Versus Junk Defenses
                  (Box-and-1 & Triangle-and-2)

Your team is facing a "junk defense." Not a bad defense but a "junk defense" a term usually attached to a non-traditional defense, such as the box-and-1 or triangle-and-2. How do you play against it? If you are going to look here for special plays to use against a box-and-1 or triangle-and 2 you are looking in the wrong place. I believe that creating a special offense to play against a situation that you might see for a few minutes per year will be damaging to your team as a whole. Preparing for unusual situations will rob you of valuable practice time and eventually have you less prepared for your everyday games. However, I hope to give you some simple thoughts that will make you a more effective team if you do see one.

I think in order to play against it, you have to understand it. Why are "junk defenses" effective? When played properly, they are very effective, but only for a period of time. They get figured out which is why teams don't play them all the time.

How Do You Beat a "JUNK" Defense?
                  Let's look at how they get broken down. Junk defenses take players out of their regular defensive scheme, which leaves holes. They leave holes in shooting areas, passing lanes and driving lanes. Attacked with consistency and patience, those holes will be exposed and teams will take advantage of them. Pretty simple.

What Makes a "JUNK" Effective?
                  Why do they work? That is a little more involved. Rarely do junk defenses prevent the player it is designed to shut down from getting the ball. There are other forces at work.

At this time I have no opinion on what he is writing on the article. I just present it as is.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
                    Actually, Pierce is not really that fast - he has just made a living on the basketball court with his excellent footwork, up-fakes, head fakes and shoulder fakes.lol. Pierce is someone you actually guard by not biting on his moves and staying on the floor(not jumping up with the fakes and footwork) and if Pierce cans a jumper in your face, you can live with that.
                    Yes, I know. My point, though, is that no one can generally guard the better players in the league one on one, including Pierce.

Besides, does anyone really think that Kleiza is the long term solution for starting small forward for the Raptors? I mean, who really cares whether he can guard LeBron because if he's your starting small forward, chances are you aren't going to play any meaningful games against LeBron. I like him and think he was a very good signing, but his ultimate role will either be a bench player or trade bait.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Do you do mean box-and-1?

At this time I have no opinion on what he is writing on the article. I just present it as is.
                      as far as I know, one of the reasons (mind: not THE reason, ONE of the reasons) to play either box and 1, or 3-2, or 2-1-2, or 2-2-1 (collectively box) is to protect one or some of your players from foul trouble.

Comment

Well you can really be surprised by Kleiza. I myself followed Denvers games years before, didnt see much Olympiacos games but compared to what I have seen from Kleiza in Denver to what I have seen in Eurolegue in Olympiacos and in Lithuania, i have to say he improved his game quite a bit.

What denver fans usually blames Kleiza for?

1) Inconsistency

2) Lack Defense

3) Being a black hole

I have also seen some of the Euro 2009 games and saw Lithuania games back in there and Kleiza really showed those all things.

His bast game in Euro 2009 was I think 11 points and most others he was around 4-6 points despite the fact he shot the ball the most on the team. He indeed took questionable shots, was a black hole, rarely passed the ball and was lazy on defensive end... It shoved playing even against softer Euro players...

But the Olympiacos and in this year Lithuania he seems to play different.

He gained consistency, mostly because from the spot on shooter he added penetration, drives and some of the post-up moves. His mid-range shooting also improved.

He started thinking on the court and stopped forcing his shots- he now passes the ball back much more often than before.

And the thing that improved the most is his defense or rather - his attitude improved the most. He is now hard trying, defender rather than the "I-don't-care-bout-defending-as-long-as-I-can-score" guy he was. This result now is that his direct opponents have tougher games and he rebounds more as he works harder on box-outs.

So while he is not star but he may be a long term Raptor player who actually can play pretty solid Sf as long as Raptors takes the best of his strengths and do not open his weaknesses too much.

Comment

As for Kleiza vs Scola... We may not see much of that duel simply because if Kleiza gets in foul trouble then Lithuania's offensive will fall down hard.

On the other hand I thought the same with China matchup - that Kleiza won't be guarding Yi much but he was and did a good job on Yi, stopping him and getting only 1 foul in 36 minutes of playtime and that 1 foul was made in the 4th quarter with only one minute left when result and winner was clear.

But Yi is not Scola, he doesn't play so physical and so aggressive with his back like Scola does so we will see how it is.
                          Last edited by Darknemo2000; Thu Sep 9, 2010, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Darknemo2000 wrote: View Post
                            Well you can really be surprised by Kleiza. I myself followed Denvers games years before, didnt see much Olympiacos games but compared to what I have seen from Kleiza in Denver to what I have seen in Eurolegue in Olympiacos and in Lithuania, i have to say he improved his game quite a bit.

What denver fans usually blames Kleiza for?

1) Inconsistency

2) Lack Defense

3) Being a black hole

I have also seen some of the Euro 2009 games and saw Lithuania games back in there and Kleiza really showed those all things.

His bast game in Euro 2009 was I think 11 points and most others he was around 4-6 points despite the fact he shot the ball the most on the team. He indeed took questionable shots, was a black hole, rarely passed the ball and was lazy on defensive end... It shoved playing even against softer Euro players...

But the Olympiacos and in this year Lithuania he seems to play different.

He gained consistency, mostly because from the spot on shooter he added penetration, drives and some of the post-up moves. His mid-range shooting also improved.

He started thinking on the court and stopped forcing his shots- he now passes the ball back much more often than before.

And the thing that improved the most is his defense or rather - his attitude improved the most. He is now hard trying, defender rather than the "I-don't-care-bout-defending-as-long-as-I-can-score" guy he was. This result now is that his direct opponents have tougher games and he rebounds more as he works harder on box-outs.

So while he is not star but he may be a long term Raptor player who actually can play pretty solid Sf as long as Raptors takes the best of his strengths and do not open his weaknesses too much.
                            I have noticed that in the three games that I have seen him in the tournament that even though he takes a lot of shots being Lithuania's #1 option that he has played within the flow of the offense. He does look to get his teammates involved throughout the game. The only time he seemed to really get aggressive on offense from the standpoint of looking for his shot first was when Lithuania needed a basket to stop a run or late when the game was close. This of course is what you would expect from your #1 option on offense.

Good qualities from a high scorer in any league. Hopefully he will carry those traits over into the 10-11 season.

From what I have seen in the tournament I would not classify him as a "chucker"

Comment

Darknemo2000 wrote: View Post
                              As for Kleiza vs Scola... We may not see much of that duel simply because if Kleiza gets in foul trouble then Lithuania's offensive will fall down hard.

On the other hand I thought the same with China matchup - that Kleiza won't be guarding Yi much but he was and did a good job on Yi, stopping him and getting only 1 foul in 36 minutes of playtime and that 1 foul was made in the 4th quarter with only one minute left when result and winner was clear.

But Yi is not Scola, he doesn't play so physical and so aggressive with his back like Scola does so we will see how it is.
                              Hopefully they will guard one another. It will give us a better indication of what we might expect form Kleiza.

By the way. I was not impressed with his performance vs team USA in the exhibition game in August.

He was 5 - 12 from the field and committed three turnovers in just over 23 minutes. He had a very difficult time with his dribble drive penetration against Team USA.

http://www.usabasketball.com/photos/..._exh_2_box.pdf

Comment

All of Lithuania underperformed but... Lithuania always plays friendlies like they don't care. They are infamous for that. Looking at their friendlies record they are one of the worst NT ever.

They lost to Spain two times with (-19 and -17) trying their full rooster (two of the guys that didn't make to the main team got big enough minutes vs USA and Spain). They usually try various passing combinations during friendlies which result in 20+ turnovers usually.

They start playing seriously only when tournament starts so I would not look into their friendlies at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X