September 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 13

September 13 is approaching. That is the date to watch for Raptors trades. The 'Everything Raptors' thread about the off season grades is garbage until the season starts - offseason ain't over people.

Two possible trades I expect to happen both involve TOR-CHA:

1) CHA gets Calderon and Evans / TOR gets Dampier and Augustine.

I don't expect this one to happen because it doesn't save CHA much money and they are $7.5M over the cap which means a $7.5M luxury tax hit. It also leaves clears the glut at PG and C but leaves them with a glut at PF and thin at SG and SF after Jackson and Wallace.

2) CHA-IND-TOR

CHA gets Calderon, Dunleavy, Dorsey
    IND gets Diaw, Evans, Banks
    TOR gets Ford, Dampier, Augustine

CHA gets PG they want, depth at SF/SG, and Dorsey would most likely be waived for a savings of about $5M in salary, $5M in luxury tax and can make a trade towards the deadline to get under the cap.

IND gets front court depth and a back up PG to replace Ford who they want rid of so bad they offered to buy him out (but at a discount).

TOR gets rid of Calderon's contract (not Calderon the player), replaces 2 back up PG's who are now expiring contracts, and cuts Dampier and his $13M contract. This creates much flexibility for the Raptors and, IMO, accelerates their rebuilding by a couple of seasons as they now have $7M in cap space, $15.4M in expiring contracts, $14.5M in TPE, 2 first round draft picks for 2011, and only $37.5M in salaries for next season ($29.6 if Barbosa opted out).

As for the upcoming season, Dampier could be re-signed after 30 days and the Raps could offer more money than any team that may want him. No he is not going to make the Raps title contenders but he is a solid NBA C with a big body and defensive presence - which is what they need. Plus at the trade deadline they could trade him to a contender looking for a big body to bang with a team like the Lakers or Celtics. Think draft picks or young player.

If the Raps are going to suck as bad as many believe, as long as they work hard, learn, and are at least entertaining to watch, I can live with that. WHY? Because their draft pick will be high and they can draft a young PG/SF/C.

Finally, whatever hole the draft does not plug, they have cap space, free agency, and trade to make a contender out of the team.

YES I SAID CONTENDER. WHY?

The problem with the RAPS roster is they don't have players that are starters on the upper tier teams in the league. They have good players who are role players on good teams - that is not intended as a slight. They also have promising, young players in DD, Weems, Johnson, Davis (especially Davis!). Essentially the Raps have awesome role players and an awesome bench - but lack the starters.

If the Raps had JJ, Kleiza, and Johnson as back ups to say a S. Curry/B. Jennings, Jeff Green/Iguodala, or Al Horford/Marc Gasol to go along with DD (if he continues to develop) and Bargnani then that would be a really good, young team.

But, unfortunately, they don't which is why getting (and cutting) Dampier and losing Calderon's contract will be the fastest route to rebuilding for the Raptors.

i don't think charlotte being over the cap by 7.5 million makes them that depp in luxury tax.

the raptors have been depper minus the cap and haven't been in luxury tax situations.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
      i don't think charlotte being over the cap by 7.5 million makes them that depp in luxury tax.

the raptors have been depper minus the cap and haven't been in luxury tax situations.
      I think you are confused with how the NBA salary cap works.

THere is a soft cap of $58.03M of which most NBA teams go over - including the Raptors - and it is o.k. You get over this by using your exemptions each year, vetern's minimum contracts, or using the Bird's Rights clause.

Then there is the hard cap of $70.3M. Every dollar you go over this cap is a luxury tax hit of one dollar. Charlotte has a payroll (according to Hoopsworld.com) of $77.8M edit: $78.8M - they added Kwame's $1.3M. So they have to pay $8.8 in extra salary PLUS they get a luxury tax bill of $8.8M IF they have a payroll of over $70.3M on June 30, 2011. On top of that, the luxury tax bill from all teams over the HARD cap gets divided among all the teams below the HARD cap so they would lose out on a few more million there as well.

For anyone who says it is not importanat ask any owner in the league - especially a small market team such as Charlotte - if they would be willing to pay an extra $16.6M in salary and tax plus lose out on another approx. $5M from the league for a total of $21M only to be bounced from the first round - or barely make the playoffs. I don't think so.
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Sep 11, 2010, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I'm having a hard time even seeing how the Bobcats, after losing a couple of serious pieces, would be able to make the playoffs!
        It's about money

Comment

philwill wrote: View Post
          I'm having a hard time even seeing how the Bobcats, after losing a couple of serious pieces, would be able to make the playoffs!
          Given their current roster I would agree. They essentially lost Felton and Chandler for Dampier and Livingston. It is for this reason I do not think they simply waive Dampier to get under the luxury tax as it would only leave them with $2.2M to add to their roster unless they make other trades. After re-signing Thomas, it would seem to me Diaw is as good as gone.

Comment

Working...
          X