Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hainline Player Swap Calculator - Amir vs Varegao & Tyrus Thomas - Salary Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hainline Player Swap Calculator - Amir vs Varegao & Tyrus Thomas - Salary Comparison

Many NBA writers and fans have questioned the wisdom of the contract that the Raptors gave to Amir this last summer of $30 million.

1. So I decided to compare his contract to those of Andy Varejao and Tyrus Thomas. The value of Varejao and Thomas contract are both about $10 million more than Johnson's new contract.

2. Then run Johnson and Varejao as well as Johnson and Thomas through the Hainline Player Swap Calculator (PSW) to determine what their respective sway Pythagorean Win Loss Records would be.

Here are their comparative salaries for the next five seasons.

Comp Sal --Varejao---Johnson
    ----------------------------------------
    2010-11----7.0--------5.0
    2011-12----7.7--------5.5
    2012-13----8.4--------6.1
    2013-14----9.0--------6.6
    2014-15----9.7--------7.1
    -------------------------------------
    Totals-----$41.8------$30.3
    =============================

Comp Sal --T. Thomas---Johnson
    ----------------------------------------
    2010-11----6.6--------5.0
    2011-12----7.3--------5.5
    2012-13----8.0--------6.1
    2013-14----8.7--------6.6
    2014-15----9.4--------7.1
    -------------------------------------
    Totals-----$40.0------$30.3
    =============================

Varejao and Thomas will make about the same and each will make about $10 million more than Johnson

Hoopsworld Team Salaries

I then went to the Hainline Player Swap Calculator (PSC) and calculated what the Player Efficiency Stats Team Pythagorean Records would have been in 09-10 if

A. Johnson had played for Cleveland and Varejao had played for the Raptors

I ran the calculations both ways with each player being placed in the "Replace" and "With" category

When Toronto replaces Johnson with Varejao they pick up 2.9 wins

When Cleveland replaces Varejao with Johnson they pick up 0.1 wins

So both teams would have benefited by a swap of the two players before the 09-10 season but Toronto would have benefited more.

So the PSC is basically saying that last season Varejao was slightly better than Johnson in 09-10

B. Johnson had played for Charlotte and Thomas had played for the Raptors

When Toronto replaces Johnson with T. Thomas they pick up 0.2 wins

When Charlotte replaces T. Thomas with Johnson they pick up 4.5 wins

So both teams would have benefited by a swap of the two players before the 09-10 season but Charlotte would have benefited more.

So the PSC is basically saying that last season Johnson was better than T. Thomas in 09-10

Conclusion
    It appears from the above analysis that Amir's contract from the Raptors perspective appears to be on par with Varejao's contract for the Cavs and better than Thomas' contract for the Bobcats.

======================
    Just for the heck of it I did a Bosh for Amar'e swap

The Raptors would have picked up 6.2 wins last season if they had Amar'e rather than Bosh

The Suns would have dropped 5.8 wins last season with Bosh instead of Amar'e

P.S. I played around with Bargnani Swaps like Bargnani for Hibbert etc. Try it for yourself to see what the results are
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Sep 12, 2010, 07:38 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

I'd take Varejao over Amir though. Not Thomas. Varejao is great! One of the best post defenders in the league, has a decent offensive set, and is overall better than Amir. But can't "fly" like Amir can.

Comment

If you swapped Amir with a can of Tuna, would the Raptors pick up 5 wins? I want Amir to take this personally and prove the critics wrong.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Well Bargs makes 10M per and Amir is half the player he is - So I dont see an issue with his salary......
        When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post
          Well Bargs makes 10M per and Amir is half the player he is - So I dont see an issue with his salary......
          Bargs is overpaid, as in he would have accepted less. Only TO wants him, and he knows it. Plus he loves TO. I bet he would have taken maybe 6 or 7 Million a year. But I'm happy for him! He's young rich and my favorite player!

Comment

Actually, that's half true. Amir is half the player Bargs is, offensively. True. Bargs is half the player Amir is, defensively. Also true. Defense and offense are 2 equal halves of a basketball game. ;-)

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
              Actually, that's half true. Amir is half the player Bargs is, offensively. True. Bargs is half the player Amir is, defensively. Also true. Defense and offense are 2 equal halves of a basketball game. ;-)
              I think Amir is a good-to-very good help defender and Bargs is a good-to-very good Shut-down defender. I cant recall (and cant seem to find any evidence) of Amir getting a block or forcing a poor shot from his opposing big man.... he simply leaves his feet to early in the anticipation of a block. Really he mirrors Jamario Moon's defensive qualities (although he's not so prone to lose his man, etc) in the fact that he can be an athletic intimidator inside but can be beaten 1-on-1 by either a good fake or a good post move...

The team defense statistically improves when he's on the floor because they are much more confident and aggressive knowing that they have a very willing shotblocking presence behind them.

Amir and Bargs are in every way opposite players, and this should bode well for their pairing as they just might be able to make up for each other's shortcomings...
              When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                Bargs is overpaid, as in he would have accepted less. Only TO wants him, and he knows it. Plus he loves TO. I bet he would have taken maybe 6 or 7 Million a year. But I'm happy for him! He's young rich and my favorite player!
                Ridiculous speculation ... 6 or 7 million? No chance ... only Toronto wanted him? Dream on.
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Amir and Bargs are in every way opposite players, and this should bode well for their pairing as they just might be able to make up for each other's shortcomings...
                  There is definitely some truth to this. Somebody should create a photoshop of Amir & Bargs together like a married couple, with Andrea saying to Amir, something like "...you complete me". LOL. Sounds great on paper, and I hope it works out spectacularly for both of them, and we can end the Amir vs. Andrea debate madness .

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                    Ridiculous speculation ... 6 or 7 million? No chance ... only Toronto wanted him? Dream on.
                    Who else wanted him? And yes, I know it's just an opinion, but I think he would take 6/7 mil. Seems decent. He's not a star player, when he signed it I don't think any team would have offered more!

Comment

Haha! i forgot about this page. I just swapped Hedo for Barbosa and our wins went up by 7!
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                        Haha! i forgot about this page. I just swapped Hedo for Barbosa and our wins went up by 7!
                        Try swapping Barbosa for Wright. That is what will happen.

It goes up 11.9

There is no Kleiza for Turk swap because Kleiza did not play in the NBA last season.

However, I suspect that Klieza will be an improvement over what Turk was in 09-10 for the Raptors.
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                        X