Colangelo Watch (Update In Post #14)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo Watch (Update In Post #14)

A decent half season might score Colangelo the long-term contract extension he has been coveting. Heck, if you listen to the man who’ll largely decide Colangelo’s fate, you get the idea a passable 25 games could do it.

That’s not to say a disastrous beginning couldn’t end Colangelo’s four-plus-year tenure in Toronto. But on Wednesday Colangelo’s boss gave the impression that a decision on the GM’s future will be made sooner rather than later. And if you’re laying odds, it’s a short bet he’s not going anywhere.

“I will make a recommendation to the board (on Colangelo’s future) at some point during the season,” said Peddie. “I’m not going to leave Bryan hanging out. He’s got kids in school here.”
    “We still really believe in Bryan Colangelo,” said Peddie.

Said Colangelo: “(A contract extension) hasn’t been top of mind. Top of mind is getting the team together and regrouping after losing Bosh.”
    “Of the 14 clubs I’ve been around, I really like the attitude and culture of this club the best,” Peddie said. “There are no egos. They’ve very engaged. They’re enthusiastic as hell. But we’re young, very young. . . . I want to see them play hard and be active and be better defensively. And we’ll see where it goes.”
    “I’ve heard from the board, I’ve heard from Richard, that they consider me a long-term piece here,” said Colangelo. “They’ve been supportive of everything we’ve done as a basketball management team, and that support has not wavered.”

Said Peddie: “I’ll just watch, and if I like where I think it’s going, we’ll re-up Bryan.”
    Source: TheStar.com
    Yes
    90.00%
    No
    10.00%

The poll is expired.

I'm really on the fence when it comes to whether or not they should keep BC. As much as I love the guy, you can't help but think maybe it's time for a new direction 'cause the results just haven't been there. Only problem is how many new directions can a franchise (and every franchise under MLSE) go through before the fans turn their backs for good?

Comment

I think your poll might be closing a bit early

It is my humble opinion that MLSE will wait a bit into the season for a number of reasons before making a decision.

It is possible that MLSE wants to see how hard this group of players plays first and also to see how the team does on their two early west coast trips.

I don't know when MLSE's fiscal year ends but if it is December they may want to finish their budget for 2011 which may be after the second west coast trip before making their decision. After all any contract extension that BC would get would be large enough to most likely warrant its own expense line in their 2011 budget
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        I think your poll might be closing a bit early
        I want to get a time capsule of the opinions of the fans prior to the start of the season. We can start another one of the these threads during the season after the ship is half filled with water and refer back to this thread in the process.

Comment

Colangelo brings a big name and somewhat stability to this franchise. I like that he's here long term. You can keep switching GM's every few years.

Comment

BC's Raptor vision is Bull Chit- from Division champs to Conference chumps in 4 short years under BC.

Sad to say but unless the Rap's start out 0-13/2-20 BC will most likely get extended from reports.

Season Ticket holders need to think about re upping in 2010-11 and accepting more of BC's Bull Chit Raptor propaganda in order to justify, rationalize the current Raptor Lottery projected situation going into the upcoming season.

He came to TO with a rising NBA star(Bosh), the #1 overall draft pick & cap space and messed it all over- fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. There's a real reason Bosh didn't re sign after re upping once before w/ TO under BC.

While Boston was making major moves after TO won the Division in 2006 BC began making questionable sideways player transaction after sideways player transaction leaving TO in a talent quagmire that eventually cost the Raptor's Bosh while leaving Bargnani as the Franchise player.

BC's self serving media tirade against Bosh this past summer may have pacified the MLSE brass but I don't believe you- you need more people!!! The no player accountability, Bargnani coddling era has got to cease & desist ASAP!!!

In my mind it's time to part ways with Jay(although Jay is MLSE for life he will have some role in TO as long as he wants), BC, & Gherardini then build TO with new minds, ideas, visions let's just forget this EXPERIMENTAL NBA International/American hybrid roster balderdash under the guise of being the Toronto Raptor's.

Currently, only the US players sans Banks(?) are in Toronto pre training camp- where are the international players at? FIBA is over. Oh, I forgot, BC said that Kleiza has a little "brother in him" whatever that comment means or meant to parlay is up to the individual.

BC is all hype, he talks too much- shut up!!!:
            Last edited by SirChillyMost; Thu Sep 16, 2010, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Just stick to the vision of re-building. I want to build a team that will compete year in and out, not just bring in guys and hope they mesh together in hopes that they make the playoffs. No more band-aid solutions. A top-3 pick this year coupled with the group we have now would make us better next season and for seasons to come.

Comment

Isn't Colangalo's Full title GM & President of Opperations
                I think that MLSE should extend Bryan for 2-3 years and hire some prospective GM's ( ones people have said inother forums as Replacement GM's like Kerr etc) as a good Assistant GM or VP. That way we have more people here working on the team from the BEGINING of the REBUILD. That way if MLSE does release Bryan than we have people who were here since the rebuild and won't have to deal with stradling contracts like BC did after Babcock got fired. That will help with the overall direction of the team and will not have the NEW GM creating little blowUps in the team like BC did time and time again to get the team to look like what they want.
                What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

A new GM would not change the direction with Colangelo as President. I think it's either all or nothing with Colangelo. Take you pick...

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
                    BC's Raptor vision is Bull Chit- from Division champs to Conference chumps in 4 short years under BC.

Sad to say but unless the Rap's start out 0-13/2-20 BC will most likely get extended from reports.

Season Ticket holders need to think about re upping in 2010-11 and accepting more of BC's Bull Chit Raptor propaganda in order to justify, rationalize the current Raptor Lottery projected situation going into the upcoming season.

He came to TO with a rising NBA star(Bosh), the #1 overall draft pick & cap space and messed it all over- fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on you. There's a real reason Bosh didn't re sign after re upping once before w/ TO under BC.

While Boston was making major moves after TO won the Division in 2006 BC began making questionable sideways player transaction after sideways player transaction leaving TO in a talent quagmire that eventually cost the Raptor's Bosh while leaving Bargnani as the Franchise player.

BC's self serving media tirade against Bosh this past summer may have pacified the MLSE brass but I don't believe you- you need more people!!! The no player accountability, Bargnani coddling era has got to cease & desist ASAP!!!

In my mind it's time to part ways with Jay(although Jay is MLSE for life he will have some role in TO as long as he wants), BC, & Gherardini then build TO with new minds, ideas, visions let's just forget this EXPERIMENTAL NBA International/American hybrid roster balderdash under the guise of being the Toronto Raptor's.

Currently, only the US players sans Banks(?) are in Toronto pre training camp- where are the international players at? FIBA is over. Oh, I forgot, BC said that Kleiza has a little "brother in him" whatever that comment means or meant to parlay is up to the individual.

hahaha where's your BC-hating buddy vinnie paz? im surprised he hasnt commented on this post yet.

Comment

He came to TO with a rising NBA star(Bosh), the #1 overall draft pick & cap space and messed it all over- fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on you. There's a real reason Bosh didn't re sign after re upping once before w/ TO under BC.

You are most definitely entitled to your opinion and I can see why you may think this. However, a couple of points to remember:

The moves made by Colangelo created the Atlantic Champion team;
                      Garbo ankle injury ruined that team - he was the glue;
                      Bosh is not a franchise player and a chump - see this summer for all the evidence needed;
                      Bosh can not play the entire nba schedule at a high level - see his GP per season,
                      Bosh was hardly a leader of this team - if your #1 player is not the hardest working the team won't work (see Durant/Duncan for how it is done when the #1 player is also the #1 worker);
                      Bosh and defense - not something you hear in the same sentence very often as other PF's and C's routinely ate him;
                      Colangelo is a 2 time Executive of the Year - nothing to sneeze at;
                      None of his moves have been critized when they happen - only with the benefit of 20/20.

Some Raptors fans are fed up with him - fair enough. But who would replace him? He is a savvy GM who has pulled off some major trades. If he can get Calderon's contract off the books and Triano/Carlesimo can get the current team to work their tails off, this season will be saved for me.

From HoopsWorld.com:

"The Raptors got off to a shaky start last season, but a 22-10 stretch brought them to a franchise tying 29-23 record at the All-Star break and fifth place in the eastern conference. Then Bosh got hurt and Toronto ended up winning 40 games, one game out of the playoffs. In hindsight, it wasn't missing the playoffs that hurt Raptors fans as much as how it happened. Toronto managed a 5-7 record without Bosh, but with the team's All-Star, the Raptors were an abysmal 6-18 down the stretch. Maybe the Raptors President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Bryan Colangelo was right in his assessment that Bosh wasn't the same person after the trade deadline. But some of the blame for bad start and bad finish to last season has to rest squarely on the shoulders of Head Coach Jay Triano.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17342#ixzz0zjNtSrVA"
                      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Sep 16, 2010, 05:46 PM.

Comment

First, the Raps are far from conference chumps...you should check the conference standings from last year but then again why let facts get in the way of your mindless ramblings...

Second, Bosh left T.O because he realized he was never going to be a real number one and awin at all cost leader so he went off to be the bitch down in Miami...

Third, BC was only speaking the truth about Bosh and indirectly defending his franchise and the city against Bosh's dispicable and disrespectful comments about T.O...You defended Jack for his misguided comments about the team last week but yet when BC speaks the brutal truth somehow that is self serving...Gimme a break...

Finally, your little hissy fit about the international players not being in T.O yet when the Young Gunz are should stop by now. The Young Gunz have not played competitive ball since mid July for DD/ Weems and in the spring for Amir, while Bargs only finished a month ago and Klieza just last week so they DESERVE a little rest before heading here ONLY a week or so after the YGZ.

Comment

RaptorRoo wrote: View Post
                          First, the Raps are far from conference chumps...you should check the conference standings from last year but then again why let facts get in the way of your mindless ramblings...

Second, Bosh left T.O because he realized he was never going to be a real number one and awin at all cost leader so he went off to be the bitch down in Miami...

Third, BC was only speaking the truth about Bosh and indirectly defending his franchise and the city against Bosh's dispicable and disrespectful comments about T.O...You defended Jack for his misguided comments about the team last week but yet when BC speaks the brutal truth somehow that is self serving...Gimme a break...

Finally, your little hissy fit about the international players not being in T.O yet when the Young Gunz are should stop by now. The Young Gunz have not played competitive ball since mid July for DD/ Weems and in the spring for Amir, while Bargs only finished a month ago and Klieza just last week so they DESERVE a little rest before heading here ONLY a week or so after the YGZ.
                          What are the preseason win predictions for TO in 2010-11? 15-25? Get a grip and come equip as Bargnani is the Raptor's Franchise player now.

Bosh left TO because he wanted to- point blank, and yes your sh*t does stank.

BC and the truth are two different realities when discussing Boshs' free agency post all star break period- you believed that media hyped Bull Chit propaganda not I- recognize the lies, or not- Nell Carter.

Hissy fit? NBA Team's player's have been showing up at the start of September for training camp since Sikma was a Sonic- what do you really know about the NBA? Players can rest in the TDot- can they not? DeMar has been playing in the LA Summer Drew League as well as he played in Vegas- and? He's here ready to go to work but not one international player is currently in the TDot representing- that is a certified fact no matter what you believe or post to the contrary.

I think that you should go sit in the corner- son, you're str8 up over & done.

Fyi- leaders lead by example while toy boys like Bargnani follow so for now just follow the leader (YG'z!!!):
                          Last edited by SirChillyMost; Thu Sep 16, 2010, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Colangelo's Future In Toronto Could Go Either Way?

There is a MLSE board meeting today and high on the agenda is the future of Colangelo.

“It’s an important issue,” said one source. “It’s front and centre, but the time lines are fluid, it doesn’t have to be decided today or next week or next month.”

But what will happen or is happening isn’t so clear. There may be no fixed deadline in place, but there is an urgency to decide what MLSE will do regarding it’s lead basketball executive as club tries to rebuild. Colangelo remains under contract until June 30th.

Meanwhile, as Hayley Mick reports, Colangelo and his staff are scouring Europe and the United States to take advantage of the draft picks they may or may not get to use in June while deciding on how aggressive they want to be at the trade deadline later this month – do you nibble around the edges and move expiring contracts like Reggie Evans’? Or do you jump in at the deep and go for a complete makeover and test the market for the likes of Andrea Bargnani
                            For nearly five years Colangelo has been the brains behind the Raptors operation, with mixed results. Before the franchise decides on what kind of surgery is next the first step is for the board – which really only has two significant voices in the form of chairman and minority owner Larry Tanenbaum and Ontario Teachers Pension Plan – to come to a consensus on if they want to make an offer to renew Colangelo’s contract and according to what terms.

Which way may that discussion go? “The issue has to be wrestled to the ground,” says one source. “But right now it could go either way.”
                            Source: The Globe And Mail

Comment

If Colangelo isn't re-newed and someone with no experience is hired as his replacement, I'm done with this team. Done.

Comment

Working...
                              X