No announcement yet.

Ed Davis Hurts Knee in Mississauga Scrimmage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On another note everybody was talking about how great it was that the young guys came to TO early to work on their game and play each other.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
      Well it wasn't any secret what these guys were doing. They've been tweeting about the last week. Does the team not care? I don't know. Maybe they should outlaw crossing the street unsupervised and pedal bikes too.
      It would be interesting to find out if there are contract limitations on the type of basketball activities that a player can not engage in. I am pretty sure that there are restrictions in contracts related to sky diving, motorcycle racing etc.

Playing in unsupervised scrimmages is probably allowed otherwise there wouldn't have been all of those NBA players that played in that charity game like Amir did in the Luda Celebrity Game last month.
      Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Sep 17, 2010, 01:04 PM.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        I am pretty sure that the player's contract has some restrictions in it related to what they can't do, to the extent that the Player's Association allows it
        "on February 23, 2007, Vladimir Radmanović revealed that he had hurt himself in a fall while snowboarding. Radmanović's Lakers contract banned him from taking part in activities that involve significant risk of injury, including skiing and snowboarding. An NBA league source said that voiding the contract would be extremely unlikely, with a suspension or fine more likely. This proved to be true, as he was fined $500,000"

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          It would be interesting to find out if there are contract limitations on the type of basketball activities that a player can not engage in. I am pretty sure that there are restrictions in contracts related to sky diving, motorcycle racing etc.

Playing in unsupervised scrimmages is probably allowed otherwise there wouldn't have been all of those NBA players that played in that charity game like Amir did in the Luda Celebrity Game last month.
          And that's what I'm saying. So players don't get injured in sanction scrimmages? Or in practice? Or games? Hindsight is 20/20 and if Davis didn't get injured we'd all be praising him for working on his game.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

vino wrote: View Post
            "on February 23, 2007, Vladimir Radmanović revealed that he had hurt himself in a fall while snowboarding. Radmanović's Lakers contract banned him from taking part in activities that involve significant risk of injury, including skiing and snowboarding. An NBA league source said that voiding the contract would be extremely unlikely, with a suspension or fine more likely. This proved to be true, as he was fined $500,000"
            There was also the famous Monta Ellis incident.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

vino wrote: View Post
              Now that you mention it I remember reading about it at the time and thinking

Well at least Vladi didn't pull a Sonny Bono because both injuries were snow activity related.

January 6, 1998
              Web posted at: 1:56 p.m. EST (1856 GMT)

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, California (CNN) -- Sonny Bono died from head and neck injuries when he accidentally hit a tree while skiing during a family outing
              http://www.cnn.com/US/9801/06/bono.accident/
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

A NBA player is not going to improve his game very much if at all by playing in these summer leagues. However, they do risk incurring a major injury.

There are a lot better and safer basketball related activities available for a NBA player to develop his game during the summer than by playing in scrimmages and games at places like the HAX in Los Angeles.
                I love how people think they know more about "developing his game" than someone drafted in the first round... whose father was also an NBA player.

Ed hasn't played a lot of basketball, so I can definitely see him wanting to play a bit of scrimmage ball to work on getting into game shape. People who actually play basketball can tell you that running on a treadmill just doesn't cut it.

Plus, in pick up games, defense is usually pretty terrible. A great place to practice your help D.

Comment

They obviously can play basketball however they like - other non-basketball related activities that are agreed upon in the CBA like skydiving, motorcycling (or mopeding lol), flying planes, racing any kind of motorized vehicles, maybe horseback riding, and/or extreme sports are forbidden in the contract and would need team permission to do (although players often do it anyway). Players get better by working on their moves during the summer in various gyms around the country (usually alongside some nba-level talent). You don't get (or stay) NBA good without playing thousands of hours of basketball every year.

Obviously everyone is overreacting to this - what's the chance that he dunked on some random and came down on them wrong or was injured in any way by an amatuer making some horrible mistake completely causing him to go knee-on-knee or something... It's MUCH more likely he sprained his knee etc on an awkward counter-post move or studder-step etc....
                  When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

I mean there are a bunch of ill informed posters up in here when it comes to the Raptors and/or basketball- no wonder BC is getting over on Raptor fans(fanatics) with a wink and a smile.

Players have been gathering for pre training camp scrimmages since Gus Williams was a Sonic. Usually the players who live out of town start showing up in said city by the start of September to begin getting ready for camp and bond with teammates on & off the court. All you folks posting about non sanction scrimmages and such get a clue. Most players have the love of the game written into their contracts ala Jordan, meaning they can play basketball whenever and wherever they want to.

If a player gets an injury so be it- injuries happen all the time in sports. So save all that other drama as there was nothing dumb about his injury- get a clue, if he was injured doing something restricted in NBA contracts like riding a motorcycle then got injured you might be on to something but he was playing basketball- recognize.

I guess Ed "Bad Luck" Davis is living up to his early career moniker, hopefully the knee is alright and he just tweaked it a bit- time will tell. Still it's all about grinding (working out) for most basketball players at any level(AAU,HS,College,Pro)- would some folks rather Ed got hurt in a Night Club fight?????

Btw- one thing is for certain is that we don't have to worry about any international players getting hurt in TO working out with the roster players- because none of them are currently in the TDot!!!!!!

Comment

Raptor Cowboy wrote: View Post
                      I love how people think they know more about "developing his game" than someone drafted in the first round... whose father was also an NBA player.

Ed hasn't played a lot of basketball, so I can definitely see him wanting to play a bit of scrimmage ball to work on getting into game shape. People who actually play basketball can tell you that running on a treadmill just doesn't cut it.

Plus, in pick up games, defense is usually pretty terrible. A great place to practice your help D.
                      More like a great place to turn an anlke or injure a knee. you prooved our point ... because the defense is so terrible its a higher injury risk because they dont play at a professional level and injuries happen because of lack of knowledge. We dont know exactly how he hurt his knee but if its cause some random baller tried to take a charge and ed fell over him wont you be pissed? I would

Comment

Eric Smith Eric__Smith

Raps rookie Ed Davis suffered a meniscal injury (right knee) on Wednesday playing ball. He & the Raps are now evaluating treatment options
                        http://twitter.com/Eric__Smith

This is the type of injury that Bynum had

Updated: May 1, 2010, 8:07 PM ET
                        Bynum day to day with meniscus tear

By Dave McMenamin
                        ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. --The center of attention for the Los Angeles Lakers and Utah Jazz second-round series beginning on Sunday at Staples Center has shifted to the injuries to both teams' starting centers.
                        http://sports.espn.go.com
                        /los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5154643

Of course we don't know if Ed suffered a tear or not or if he did how bad it is.

If it is a bad tear he could require surgery and a decently long rehab period.

A lot of people said that Davis reminds them of Bosh.

Maybe this will become true in ways that those never thought.
                        Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Sep 17, 2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

It's ridiculous to suggest limiting players to team-sanctioned activities. They got to the NBA by playing thousands of hours of basketball, motivated, I assume, for the most part by a love of the game. Now that they're a commodity you want to limit them to playing only when they can be chaperoned by someone from the Raptors? That's bullocks.

For the people who voted "No" on the poll, if DD tore his achilles while making the dunkoff video for AmirTV, would you want to ban players from dunking in the offseason? to limit their jumping to crosstraining drills supervised by a professional?

I know I'm overreacting a little but I'm not the only one. You can't suck out all the joy of playing basketball with your buddies because someone signed a contract to play for an owner. Or else you'd have people only playing for money, and who wants to see that?
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                            It's ridiculous to suggest limiting players to team-sanctioned activities. They got to the NBA by playing thousands of hours of basketball, motivated, I assume, for the most part by a love of the game. Now that they're a commodity you want to limit them to playing only when they can be chaperoned by someone from the Raptors? That's bullocks.

For the people who voted "No" on the poll, if DD tore his achilles while making the dunkoff video for AmirTV, would you want to ban players from dunking in the offseason? to limit their jumping to crosstraining drills supervised by a professional?

I know I'm overreacting a little but I'm not the only one. You can't suck out all the joy of playing basketball with your buddies because someone signed a contract to play for an owner. Or else you'd have people only playing for money, and who wants to see that?
                            It is a matter of common sense by the player

Thousands of hours on courts yes. However as you pointed out that was before they became big time assets of a NBA team.

They have a responsibility to themselves, their family and their team and even fans to use common sense once they become NBA players.

No would never suggest stopping a player from playing basketball.

However I still don't think that once a players signs a multimillion dollar contract that they should partake in unsupervised physical risks. Is playing in a scrimmage like that or in a charity game an undo risk? That can be debated forever.

In the end it is should remain their choice provided that they don't violate their contract in the process of doing whatever they want to do.
                            Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Sep 17, 2010, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post

+1

Comment

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...n-pick-up-game
                                Ed "Bad Luck" Davis hurt his knee when he landed the wrong way after getting a rebound.

It could have happened anywhere, at anytime.

Now all the rampant speculation can stop with what actually caused Bad Luck's injury & whether or not NBA basketball players should play basketball outside of their NBA team facilities and/or supervision- this is basketball not Nuclear experiments.

Btw- these guys (NBA players) aren't going to play basketball on destitute basketball courts & risk their careers- they have the common sense to play on up to par basketball courts. Maybe if the International players were in Town the YG'z and crew could scrimmage more 5 on 5 at the Rap's facilities......
                                Last edited by SirChillyMost; Sun Sep 19, 2010, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X