The Raptor's TPE: Fool's Gold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raptor's TPE: Fool's Gold?

I can't recall this issue being threaded up recently, if it has my bad, so I decided to do so.

I have been getting the sense over the past few weeks that alot of posters in various Raptor forums somehow believe that the Bosh TPE (14.5 million) is going to be BC's salvaging trade asset this off season, pre 2011 NBA trade deadline...netting the Raptor's a potential all star player in return like an Andre Iguodala from a team looking to dump salary before or at the NBA trading deadline. Not so fast.

Although Cleveland is currently the only team with a TPE as large as Toronto's (and would most likely be in direct competition with any deal that was offered to BC) it seems at this point and time that the NBA is saturated with TPE's as many other teams have various dollar amount of TPE's available ie Utah/New Orleans both have 6 million TPE's to use in potential future player transactions.

I don't how much of a true asset that the Bosh TPE will be in shaping the Rap's future because if it's not used by next July 11 it just fades away into thin air. Whatever the Bosh TPE eventually brings TO or doesn't bring TO in terms of talent- I'm not expecting anything major coming from it- time will tell.

Here's a link to all the NBA teams with their TPE's and expiration dates:
    http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...exceptions.jsp

Player's potentially available with the Rap's TPE:

76ers- Iguodala
    Pistons- Prince
    Magic- Gortat
    76ers- Brand
    Spurs- Parker
    Clippers- Davis
    Hawks- Williams
    Pistons- Hamilton
    Warriors- Biedrins
    Clippers- Kaman
    Hornets- Okafor
    Wizards- Arenas
    Hawks- Crawford
    Mavericks- Butler
    Warriors- Ellis

**Traded Player Exception: It can only be used to acquire existing contracts from other teams- in other words, to consummate a trade. A traded player exception (TPE) can also be used in parts, rather than as one whole amount. This therefore gives a team enormous flexibility on the trade market.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by SirChillyMost; Mon Sep 20, 2010, 09:01 PM.

Don't the Raptors have two TPEs? That site is only showing one of them...

Comment

I believe that I read that the Rap's used one of their TPE's (2 million something) in the Andersen deal w/ Houston.
      http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...small-one.html
      Last edited by SirChillyMost; Mon Sep 20, 2010, 03:39 PM.

Comment

If people are expecting an all-star to come back with the TPE, then yes it's fool's gold. The TPE can be broken up into parts and will help facilitate trades we'd like to make that wouldn't normally work under the cap. That's how I predict we'll use it, and I don't see any reason why a team would just trade away an all-star for a TPE.

Comment

Don't expect an all-star back for a TPE. I think what we can expect is BC ether using it to grab an over-payed Vet who could help us out short term ala Elton Brand or use it to take back some serviceable players who can't break the rotation on a contender but who could fit nicely with us. One of the things I'm hoping to get from the TPE is late first round draft picks. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we can use the exception to buy picks from other teams.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I thought it could only be used on one player?

Comment

"Teams can consume only part of a Traded Player exception, in which case they can still use the remainder in a future trade. For example, if a team trades a $4 million player for a $2 million player, they gain a $2.1 million Traded Player exception. If they later trade a draft pick for a $1 million player, they still have $1.1 million remaining to acquire more players and complete the trade (until one year from the date of the original trade)"

From http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q71

In this way you can do multiple deals from the same TPE.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

From NBA know-it-all Larry Coon: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q71

What is the Traded Player Exception (TPE)?

As described in question number 70, exceptions are the mechanisms that allow teams to function above the salary cap. Any trade which results in the team ending up over the salary cap requires an exception. This is true even if the team is moving downward in salary. For example, if the salary cap is $50 million, a team has a team salary of $55 million, and they want to trade a $5 million player for a $4 million player, they still have to use an exception. Even though their team salary would be decreasing by $1 million, the fact that they would still be over the salary cap ($54 million) means that an exception is required.

The Traded Player exception is the primary means used by teams over the cap for completing trades. It allows teams to make trades that leave them over the cap, but it places several restrictions on those trades. Trades using the Traded Player exception are classified into two categories: simultaneous and non-simultaneous. As its name suggests, a simultaneous trade takes place all at once. Teams can acquire up to 125% plus $100,000 of the salaries they are trading in a simultaneous trade. For example, a team trading a $5 million player in a simultaneous trade can receive one or more players whose salary is no more than 125% of $5 million, plus $100,000, or $6.35 million in return.

A non-simultaneous trade may take up to a year to complete, but the team can only trade away one player, and can receive no more than $100,000 more than the salary they trade away. Non-simultaneous trades are described in question number 72.

In short:

•A simultaneous trade gives the team more money but less time.

•A non-simultaneous trade gives the team more time but less money.

It is important to view a trade from each team's perspective separately, rather than as a single, unified transaction. This is because the same trade may be organized differently according to each team's needs. For example, a trade might be classified as a simultaneous trade from one team's perspective, but from the other team's perspective it's actually broken into two trades, one simultaneous and the other non-simultaneous (completing a trade they made months earlier).

There are several restrictions on trades (either simultaneous or non-simultaneous) which are described in other questions in this FAQ. These include Base Year Compensation (question numbers 76, 77 and 78), sign-and-trade (question numbers 79, 80, 81 and 82), including cash in trades (question number 83), trading draft picks (question number 74), trade bonuses (question numbers 86 and 87), and no-trade provisions (question number 88). In addition, performance incentives can complicate trades (question number 64).

Also be aware that while the term "Traded Player exception" refers to the entire exception which allows teams to make trades above the salary cap (including simultaneous trades, non-simultaneous trades, and base year compensation), it is also commonly used to refer to the one-year monetary credit teams receive while a non-simultaneous trade is pending completion. Be aware of this potential ambiguity, which was made worse by the current CBA (earlier CBAs used the term "Assigned Player exception" to refer to the entire exception). END

Hope that this helps to clarify the TPE for folks who are confused by all of its related properties- like me.lol
                Last edited by SirChillyMost; Mon Sep 20, 2010, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Something will come of our TPE. There's the Paul and Anthony situation that's shaping up to be interesting and the Raps as potential third or fourth team involved in trades. Out of that list, I like Okafor (as a true center - salary wise, he's paid $5 Million dollars more per season IMHO). That said, Bosh ain't a max player so the TPE gained from his signing and used on someone like Okafor is nothing to lose sleep over.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I highly doubt the Raptors would get a player of significant value with the TPE. What I am assuming (hoping) Colangelo will do is use it to acquire draft picks like, for example, when Oklahoma City took Kurt Thomas for a future first rounder that turned out to be the 26th pick this year, which they packaged with 21st pick and agreeing to take on Morris Peterson's contract, for the 11th pick, which turned out to be Cole Aldrich. So basically, the THunder turned their 21st pick and used their cap room to move up to a lottery pick. THAT's what I'd like to see Colangelo doing with the TPE. Agree to take other bad contracts in exchange for picks, and then bundle picks to move up.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Well we definitely have the biggest TPE along with Cleveland which expires this summer (vs. winter). That is probably what it takes to net a super star.

So we have 1 out of 2 chance. Not bad.

Comment

Baron Davis would be pretty sweet.

Comment

let's go for a draft pick!

Comment

Too bad Utah got a borderline all-star with theirs.

Comment

Out of the realistic options - sign me up for Gortat or Biedrins.
                              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Working...
                              X