Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Bosh / Ewing Theory

Ewing Theory
    One of Bill Simmons's most used internet themes has been the famous Ewing Theory, which was conceived by Dave Cirilli and named after Patrick Ewing of the New York Knicks. In 1998-99, the Knicks made the NBA Finals after Ewing sustained an Achilles' tendon injury. Thus, the Ewing Theory claims that when a longtime superstar who receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest has never won a championship leaves the team via injury, trade, or free agency, and the media writes the team off, the team will play better.

Is Chris Bosh good enough to qualify? Can the Raps be better without Bosh?

Brain Colangelo wrote: View Post
    Ewing Theory

No.

1998-1999 was a write-off year. Teams played only 50 games due to the lockout year with no training camp or preseason. Patrick Ewing was already 36 years old centre who was not the same player as he was during his prime due to age and knee problems ( Ewing was also great post player and a pretty good post defender something that Bosh in Toronto wasn't). While the Knicks already had Sprewell and Allen Houston playing for them in their prime during that time and they led their team in the playoffs when Ewing was out. I think Bill Simmons is very harsh on Ewing especially since the greatest player of all time was playing basketball in the exact same time Ewing was in his prime and took all the championships. In the 94 playoff's finals game 7 the Knicks should have beaten the Houston Rockets, however John Starks had the worst game of his playoff career (3-17) and the Knicks lost the game because of him.

The Raptors do not at this point have a strong and experienced complementry players (ala Spree and Houston) that can create their own shot and carry this team when their top player is not in the lineup who often demands double team without his team-mates inability (due to lack of skill) to help him carry the load.

Comment

The team won't necessarily be better without him, but players will be without him hogging the ball.

Comment

Ewing Theory

One of Simmons's most used internet memes has been the famous Ewing Theory,[14] which was conceived by Dave Cirilli and named after Patrick Ewing of the New York Knicks. In 1998-99, the Knicks made the NBA Finals after Ewing sustained an Achilles' tendon injury. Thus, the Ewing Theory claims that when a longtime superstar who has never won a championship leaves the team via injury, trade, or free agency, and the media writes the team off, the team will play better.[78][79]

Given the time since the name Ewing Theory was coined and the Giants' Super Bowl XLII victory, a number of readers suggested the name be updated to the "Tiki Theory" named after former player Tiki Barber and Simmons agreed.[80]
        Ewing Theory aka Tiki Theory

The Super Bowl XLII mailbag

By Bill Simmons
        Page 2
        SG: Forgot to mention this -- Dave Cirilli, the creator of the Ewing Theory, gave Tiki and the Giants his official blessing three weeks ago. Between that and the Sports Gal picking the Giants +12, I should have known we were in for something memorable last Sunday. I'm awaiting Dave's decision on whether we can change the Ewing Theory to the Tiki Theory. Personally, I think it's smart to update these sports theories every 8-10 years with a more topical nickname, if one applies. But what do I know?
        Ewing Theory aka Tiki Theory

Ewing Theory 101

By Bill Simmons
        Special to Page 2

Updated: July 21, 2009, 11:10 AM ET

You're probably tired of reading those "Where did these guys come from?" stories about the Seattle Mariners, who valiantly clawed their way to baseball's best record earlier this season, despite losing Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr. and Alex Rodriguez over the past three years.

Patrick Ewing

Despite Patrick Ewing's superstar numbers, the Knicks often fared better when their big man was injured or in foul trouble.
        For most baseball fans, Seattle's spring surge was more inexplicable than Colby voting off Keith over Tina on "Survivor" last week. How can a franchise prosper after losing three of the biggest stars in baseball? How does this make sense?

I have a three-word explanation for you: "The Ewing Theory."

It's bigger than the "SI Jinx." It makes the "Curse of the Bambino" look like child's play. It's creepier than the "Curse of the 'Spinal Tap' Drummers" and the "Curse on the Careers of Everyone Who Leaves 'NYPD Blue' " combined. Quite simply, it's the most life-altering sports phenomenon of this lifetime.

Here's everything you need to know about the Ewing Theory, in the form of a Q & A
        What are other examples of the Ewing Theory in action?

Some classics from the past three years, in no particular order:

1. Utah Utes, 1998: Keith Van Horn's ballyhooed college career ends without Utah ever making a Final Four. Nine months later, the Utes shock everyone by making the NCAA title game.

2. Tennessee Volunteers, 1998: Even more ballyhooed than Van Horn during his college career, Peyton Manning leaves UT without either winning a national title or beating Florida -- and the Vols win the national title nine months later.

3. Seattle Mariners, 2000: After allegedly "giving up on the season" by dealing their marquee player (Junior Griffey) eight months after dealing their marquee pitcher (the Big Unit), the Mariners cruise to an AL wild-card berth and shock the White Sox in the first round.

4. Boston Red Sox, 1999: After Mo Vaughn signs with the Angels for $80 million, nobody believes that the Sox have enough hitting to finish above .500. Wrong. They roll off 94 victories, capture the wild-card berth and win their first playoff series in 13 years (beating Cleveland in five games).

5. Miami Dolphins, 2000: Dan Marino retires and everyone prepares for a rebuilding year in Miami; the Fins end up advancing to the second round of the playoffs with Jay Fiedler. Jay Fiedler!

6. Philadelphia Flyers, 2000

7. Boston Red Sox & Seattle Mariners, 2001 (ongoing)

8. University of Kentucky, 1998

9. St. Louis Rams, 1999

10. Detroit Lions, 1999:

What are some famous examples from the last few decades?
        In no particular order:

1. The LA Lakers, 1972: NBA legend Elgin Baylor retires before the season without ever playing for a championship Lakers team. Of course, the '71-72 Lakers end up running off a record 33-game winning streak en route to their first-ever NBA title in L.A. Seriously, you couldn't make this stuff up.

2. Virginia Cavaliers, 1984: Three-time Naismith Award winner Ralph Sampson graduates without ever leading Virginia to a national championship. Amazingly, the Cavs regroup the following season behind Othell Wilson and Rick Carlisle, going just as far as Sampson ever took them by sneaking into the Final Four. A Hall of Fame Ewing Theory example

3. N.Y. Yankees, 1996:

4. Cleveland Indians, 1997

5. World Wrestling Federation, 1997

Currently, who are some possible Ewing Theory candidates?

All right, I'll bite. Remember, we're targeting stars on teams that haven't won anything, as well as teams that would probably be written off without the stars we're about to mention:

# Drew Bledsoe: Every Patriots fan is nodding right now.

# Michael Vick: Textbook case. Everybody's already writing off Virginia Tech for next season, despite the fact that they never won anything with Vick. They might post a 12-0 next season.

# Chris Webber: Don't laugh. What happens if C-Webb leaves the Kings this summer, and they use the extra cap space to sign two second-tier free agents?

# Vince Carter: Watch the Raptors in two years, after Vince joins MJ in DC (and you know it's happening).

# Chris Bosh: Watch the Raptors in two years, after Bosh joins the King and Queen in Miami (and you know it's happening).

# Griffey: The baseball version of Ewing.

# Kobe Bryant: After they split him up from Shaq and he gets his own team.

# Pete Sampras: This one makes sense, if you think about it. Taking Sampras out of the men's tennis equation could make Wimbledon more interesting and allow younger, more charismatic players to rise to the forefront.

# Barry Bonds: It's unfair, but he fits the formula.

# Manning: You can feel the "Manning goes down and the Colts rally behind James & Harrison" moment coming in the next few years, can't you?

Can the Ewing Theory apply to romance?
        A lot more on the link. It is a pretty long article

Ewing Theory 101
        Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Sep 26, 2010, 09:22 AM.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Ewing Theory
          One of Bill Simmons's most used internet themes has been the famous Ewing Theory, which was conceived by Dave Cirilli and named after Patrick Ewing of the New York Knicks. In 1998-99, the Knicks made the NBA Finals after Ewing sustained an Achilles' tendon injury. Thus, the Ewing Theory claims that when a longtime superstar who receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest has never won a championship leaves the team via injury, trade, or free agency, and the media writes the team off, the team will play better.

Will the Raps better this year? No.

Will the Raps improve this year? Yes.

Is the future brighter for the Raps without Bosh than with? Most definitely.

Will the Raps be a better team in two seasons than last year? I think so.

Comment

Silly premise. Just random probability. What about when the superstar gets injured or leaves and the team sucks? That's what usually happens. Brilliant branding by Simmons, but that's about it.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
              Silly premise. Just random probability. What about when the superstar gets injured or leaves and the team sucks? That's what usually happens. Brilliant branding by Simmons, but that's about it.
              Since when did Bosh become a "Superstar"?

He is a Max Player but that does not make him a Superstar
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                Since when did Bosh become a "Superstar"?

He is a Max Player but that does not make him a Superstar
                Was Mo Vaughn a superstar? Some people even debate whether Ewing himself was efficient enough on offense to be considered a "Superstar". The Ewing theory sure worked like a charm the year that David Robinson got injured for SAS. And what about the year after Stockton-Malone left Utah? Two HoFs still playing at all-star level. Double down on the Ewing theory. Lol. ;-)

Comment

Building a team around Bosh was a mistake from the start. I'm not sure why Colangelo thought he was good enough, or had the right mentality. Kobe, MJ are killers who hardly have to say a word to lead. Their body language and game speaks for itself. They also earn a ton of wins with late-game heroics.

Other teams that have won in the last 20 years? Celtics, Spurs, Pistons, Heat? All had leaders like Garnett, Pierce, Duncan, Parker, Billups, Wallace.

The difference between Toronto and New York is that the Raps next generation is still two years from competing hard. This year is about building what BC should have been doing right from the start.

Comment

Pele wrote: View Post
                    Building a team around Bosh was a mistake from the start. I'm not sure why Colangelo thought he was good enough, or had the right mentality. Kobe, MJ are killers who hardly have to say a word to lead. Their body language and game speaks for itself. They also earn a ton of wins with late-game heroics.

Other teams that have won in the last 20 years? Celtics, Spurs, Pistons, Heat? All had leaders like Garnett, Pierce, Duncan, Parker, Billups, Wallace.

The difference between Toronto and New York is that the Raps next generation is still two years from competing hard. This year is about building what BC should have been doing right from the start.
                    I don't know about Bosh but I know Michael did and Kobe always has since he came into the league put in many many extra hours of extra practice on their shooting even during the regular season. Sometimes as much as two to three hours during the mornings of game days.

Comment

Pele wrote: View Post
                      I agree. Each team needs 1-2 leaders and 1-2 crunch-time scorers and role players who accept their places in the hierarchy and can fill their roles well (on a better team, Amir and Bargnani could be great at this). Looking at your short-list, I'm not sure that Bosh filled either role in that he was neither a leader nor an effective crunch-time scorer (and was also not a dominant defender, but you might be able to say that about Sheed too). The raps are a long way off.

But there is hope if:
                      - DeRozan becomes a crunch-time scorer
                      - someone becomes a leader who can also lift the team (Pierce could lift the championship-winning celts in every way, Garnett could do so as a defender, motivator and lightening rod)
                      - there are more quality pieces in place and the team commits to playing the right way
                      - the team can pick up a stud via the draft or a BC reclamation project

Shout out to Buddah (AKA Bizarro Khandor) for the further digging on the Ewing theory.... Thank you.

Your pal,
                      Brain

Comment

I agree. Each team needs 1-2 leaders and 1-2 crunch-time scorers and role players who accept their places in the hierarchy and can fill their roles well (on a better team, Amir and Bargnani could be great at this). Looking at your short-list, I'm not sure that Bosh filled either role in that he was neither a leader nor an effective crunch-time scorer (and was also not a dominant defender, but you might be able to say that about Sheed too). The raps are a long way off.

But there is hope if:
                        - DeRozan becomes a crunch-time scorer
                        - someone becomes a leader who can also lift the team (Pierce could lift the championship-winning celts in every way, Garnett could do so as a defender, motivator and lightening rod)
                        - there are more quality pieces in place and the team commits to playing the right way
                        - the team can pick up a stud via the draft or a BC reclamation project

Shout out to Buddah (AKA Bizarro Khandor) for the further digging on the Ewing theory.... Thank you.

Your pal,
                        Brain
                        Say What?

Who goofed?

I got to know

Comment

Don't worry Buddah. Your secret is safe with me.

Comment

Don't worry Buddah. Your secret is safe with me.
                            I have no idea whose those people are except I know that there is a Khandor blog which I read once in a while.

The Kander that I know of best is this guy

Detroit Pistons' Allen Iverson, left, walks off the court with strength coach Arnie Kander in the third quarter of an NBA basketball game against the Chicago Bulls Tuesday, Dec. 23, 2008, in Auburn Hills, Mich. The Pistons beat the Bulls 104-98.
                            http://www.daylife.com/photo/02Gp4FOa3McfX

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              The Kander that I know of best is this guy
                              Different Kander.

Comment

Working...
                              X