Dorsey Could Be the Odd Man Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorsey Could Be the Odd Man Out

So, with Colangelo looking at other options up front, if the Raps do bring someone new on come the start of the season (in this case Earl Barron), it would appear as though Dorsey's non-fully guaranteed contract would leave him as the odd man out.

Did get a chance to check in with Bryan and a henchman or two about the move to add a big.

They have spoken to Erick Dampier and his people, as we reported a few times, but if it looks as if that ship has sailed, the impression I’m getting from folks is that Earl Barron, a 7-footer who finished last season with the Knicks, is next on their list of possibilities.

And there’s every chance that if they hear Dampier’s going to choose Houston or Milwaukee over Toronto, Barron could be in town as early as Tuesday to start working out.

And if they want to keep him, despite having 15 guys on the roster, it sounds like the Joey Dorsey contract, not fully guaranteed right now, would be the one they eat to create a roster spot.
    Source - Doug Smith's Blog

Raptor's brass talks alot about defense in the preseason but they will potentially waive (Dorsey) in exchange for more offensive minded talent?

Earl Barron is another jump shooting big man whose play hasn't been consistent on the NBA level. He's very similar to David Andersen in my mind or a Mikki Moore type (with 3 point range). BC should have kept the bruiser DJones- at least through training camp.

Raptors look to be short on big's- Davis/Alabi, going into camp- BC should have signed some camp bodies earlier on in the process.

Comment

Honestly I would prefer Dorsey over Barron. He's still young and just loves to get after it. Him and Evans are the only big man that doesn't back down from anyone. Reminds me of a young Oakley minus the craftiness and basketball IQ.

Comment

Tough, hard-nosed, rebounder cut by the Raptors ? Joey Dorsey epitomizes the characteristic that the Raptors want and desperately needs. Why would we cut him just because he's few inches shorter than the absolute ideal height for an NBA centre (7 ft.)?
        Yes, length is good, but so is having the heart/ desire/ muscle to go out there and bang every night, Joey definitely brings that.
        Every time I look at Dorsey he reminds me of a younger Ben wallce. Both are undersized, well-built physique and overlooked at the start of their career. Wouldn't it be nice for the 10-11 Raptors to have a defensive anchor like Ben Wallace ? I don't think Dorsey is the tenacious defender that wallace was, but he still contributes a great deal on the board.

Comment

I have a hard time believing they'll cut Dorsey. And why is this team looking for a warm 7 foot body? Sign Barron to a non-guaranteed training camp contract and then all will be forgiven.
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

I'd take Oberto out of all of them (that is, if he's still available). This team is young and it needs veteran guys to look up to, to lern from. Oberto's has a wealth of NBA playoff experience as well as international experience, not to mention that he's a tough dude.

Comment

bigmanshaq wrote: View Post
              Tough, hard-nosed, rebounder cut by the Raptors ? Joey Dorsey epitomizes the characteristic that the Raptors want and desperately needs. Why would we cut him just because he's few inches shorter than the absolute ideal height for an NBA centre (7 ft.)?
              Yes, length is good, but so is having the heart/ desire/ muscle to go out there and bang every night, Joey definitely brings that.
              Every time I look at Dorsey he reminds me of a younger Ben wallce. Both are undersized, well-built physique and overlooked at the start of their career. Wouldn't it be nice for the 10-11 Raptors to have a defensive anchor like Ben Wallace ? I don't think Dorsey is the tenacious defender that wallace was, but he still contributes a great deal on the board.
              Dorsey went up against scrubs in the summer league. Hell, Pops carved us up in the pre-season last seaosn. When the games count, it's a different story. Hard to say if Dorsey can do it, but if this season is going to be a learning and lost one, then you might as well throw the guy out there in the regular season and see what he's made of.

Comment

Working...
              X