Dampier Visting Toronto Later in the Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dampier Visting Toronto Later in the Week

So, it would appear as though the "Dampier Sweepstakes" (lol ... I know, that sounds funny) could be coming down between Milwaukee and us. We'll see him here later this week as he visits Toronto.

Hopefully the team take him to "The Rail" for lunch.

The scuttlebutt now is that Dampier is expanding his options and is in the process of making two visits later this week: one to Milwaukee and another to Toronto.
    Source - Click here

My guess is that he is using Toronto as another suiter just so he can get more money from other teams.

I hate to see us overpaying to get this guy.

Comment

Ye ole scuttlebutt source:

Probably some Raptors fan tweeting their basketball fantasy from Hortons.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

i don't think i could be less interested in a player than ericK dampier. although, it would be nice if they were to have yet another guy on the roster who shaq made fun of publicly...a rupaul replacement, so to speak.

look, it would be one thing if he had any upside, or was a better than average player, or would bring a level of intensity, maturity & experience to a young squad.

but the fact is, he's a marginal NBAer at this point, who does a few things marginally well, but ONLY WHEN HE FEELS LIKE IT. i question just how motivated he'll be playing in another country, for the vet min., on a losing team, knowing that a lockout may be looming (and with it the chance of playing for a big contract). if i could describe him in two words, they'd be 'contract year.' as in, he'll play hard, and he'll play well...if he's in a contract year. that sounds like JUST the kind of guy i want 'mentoring' a young team.

and what does signing him provide the raps? a mediocre starting centre to go with a mediocre starting PF (bargs), and pushing the newly re-signed (& some would argue overpaid) amir to the bench (where he may belong anyway), and limiting the minutes for both alabi & davis? for what? how does that help them now, or down the road? is there a plan, and if so, WTF is it? to retain some glimmer of respectability by finishing 'close' to .500 and 'almost' making the playoffs?
        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
          My guess is that he is using Toronto as another suiter just so he can get more money from other teams.

Not to fret, I don't think we have much money as it is to spend, so I don't think we'll be overpaying for him.

Comment

Unless they get him here in exchange for Banks and Evans, and then release him to get some financial relief right now, this deal is pointless. Even then, why not just wait out Banks and Evans' contract, OR trade them for something slightly more significant than Dallas' trash.

Comment

"Dampier Visting Toronto Later in the Week"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....wake me up when he passes thru. That the Bobcats preferred Kwame Brown must say something.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....wake me up when he passes thru. That the Bobcats preferred Kwame Brown must say something.
                id say bobcats just liked kwame's contract better then Damp's.

as long as the expectations & salary arnt too high i dont see why we souldnt atleast entertain the idea of him coming to the raps.

if anyone thinks this would be the deal BC would be making to try & save the season they'd be wrong.

i see it as a little insurence incase bargs is still as shit as last year on the defensive end & rebounding at the center spot.

maybe even a little leadership who knows, Damps not going to turn us into a good defensive team on his own even in his prime

Comment

They preferred Kwame Brown because Brown makes next to nothing and Dampier made in excess of 10 million plus.

Comment

Everyone interested, except Toronto, can only offer the vet minimum. Or am I wrong in this thinking?

Is paying an extra million for a guy who's only going to make a couple million really that big a deal? Especially if he brings assets to the table not currently on the team?

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    They preferred Kwame Brown because Brown makes next to nothing and Dampier made in excess of 10 million plus.
                    Dampier's contract got nuked because most of it wasn't guaranteed. That $10M is now a fairy tale. What the Raptors offer him will probably be a couple million or am I out to lunch on this one?

Let me run you through the two perspectives.

Perspective #1: Charlotte Bobcats
                    You have a guy on the books for $10M and most of it is not guaranteed. The economy is struggling, you're not making as much as you used to and besides, it's $10M for a role players producing that of a guy who you could pay a quarter of that to do a similar job. What do you do? Nuke the contract.

Perspective #2: Dampier
                    You have $10M owed on your contract. Most is not guaranteed. You really want that money. The team, in a cost cutting action, rids themselves of your contract leaving you to gain pennies compared to what that piece of paper you have in your hand once said you were going to make this season. You're now a free agent. What do you do? Sign with them or move on?

This had nothing to do with Kwame Brown and personally, I think Kwame can't carry Damp's kicks, let alone play at his level.
                    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Sep 29, 2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Houston has cap room, but Damp thought that there is too much depth at Centre so is looking elsewhere.
                      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                        id say bobcats just liked kwame's contract better then Damp's.

as long as the expectations & salary arnt too high i dont see why we souldnt atleast entertain the idea of him coming to the raps.

if anyone thinks this would be the deal BC would be making to try & save the season they'd be wrong.

i see it as a little insurence incase bargs is still as shit as last year on the defensive end & rebounding at the center spot.

maybe even a little leadership who knows, Damps not going to turn us into a good defensive team on his own even in his prime
                        Just some quick points in reply...

...the Bobcats could have released him and then resigned him for what they paid KB. The 13 mill. he was on he books for is a dream now. Its obvious he is either overpricing himself or teams are just taking a pass on him (eg Miami).
                        ...Dampier has a sorry history re playing allout and with leadership qualities. He played with the Mavs (a v. good team) and had to be prodded during the season. How is he going to play on a playoff challenged team like the Raps?
                        ...I'd rather put our own young bigs in the grinder or get a much more serviceable big centre for defensive purposes from Europe, D league or off someone's roster in a trade as a temp measure. Dont know why they let the centre from Phoenix go (i forget his name and he is back in Phx) from the Hedo trade.
                        ...Damps is just scouting around for the best monetary deal. I'd rather have someone shop around cause he has the best chance to contribute (eg. Kleiza).
                        Last edited by Bendit; Wed Sep 29, 2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                          So, it would appear as though the "Dampier Sweepstakes" (lol ... I know, that sounds funny) could be coming down between Milwaukee and us. We'll see him here later this week as he visits Toronto.

Hopefully the team take him to "The Rail" for lunch.

Source - Click here
                          Dampier "sweepstakes". lol. Kind of like winning the Hedo sweepstakes last year.

You know after the Bosh rejection and Hedo diss, our franchise ego is so fragile that BC is probably ecstatic when any free agent even looks in our direction. Worse yet, BC just may sign him and then trumpet to the world.... "see everybody, don't listen to Jerkoglu & CB4, Toronto really IS a top destination for NBA players...." I'm worried.

Comment

meh, as long as it's one year deal, and he becomes expendable.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Bucks announce signing of free-agent C Brian Skinner. I'm told A) contract is non-guaranteed and B) MIL now out of Dampier hunt. 20 in camp
                              Stein
                              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                              X