Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard Cap coming/What is Colangelo thinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Cap coming/What is Colangelo thinking?

NBA owner praises NHL's hard salary cap

FAIRFAX, Va. — Washington Wizards majority owner Ted Leonsis told local business leaders Wednesday that he expects the NBA soon will have a hard salary cap similar to the NHL's model.

NBA commissioner David Stern said that's not necessarily true — and warned that Leonsis could be punished for discussing private league business.

"We're negotiating and that was one of our negotiating points," Stern told The Associated Press, "but collective bargaining is a negotiating process, and that was not something that Ted was authorized to say and he will be dealt with for that lapse in judgment."
    "In a salary cap era — and soon a hard salary cap in the NBA like it's in the NHL — if everyone can pay the same amount to the same amount of players, its the small nuanced differences that matter," he said.
    said he felt the NHL's system "is a good one."

"It's working," he said. "The teams are very, very competitive. There is no way that big markets teams can outspend small market teams. So when the season starts everyone thinks their team can compete for the Stanley Cup."

"There's a hard cap in the NFL, there's a hard cap in the NHL, and that was something that was part of our initial proposal," Stern said. "But we're open to a deal and it depends what the deal is."
    Source: The Associated Press

Given the direct connection between spending and success in the league and also taking into consideration an economy that is crippled in regions I've been saying the NBA needs a hard cap to level the playing field and to stop tailoring the whole model to the few elite top teams, after all those teams would not have the vast money making opportunities without all those smaller market teams who are at times struggling to balance the books.
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:13 AM.

Hard Cap coming/What is Colangelo thinking?

The negotiations for this summer's CBA are not looking promising. The NBAPA is not open to a hard cap or cutting their cut of 57% of revenue. The NBA is looking for a hard cap and more like 50% of revenue. Uh oh. We know in the end, the NBA will win this matter. Look no further than NHL lockout. Look no further than many teams lose money in the NBA - no operating costs means no money lost.

Sooooo.... with those things in mind and the consensus is looking at a salary cap of no more than $60M, I am attempting to look in to BC's mind for next season.

First off, I think the Raps end up trading Calderon for Diaw for no other reason than CHA clearly wants to move Diaw and Calderon is exactly the type of PG they need offensively and have a team that can help cover his defeciencies defensively. CHA needs to perform now to continue to get the support back behind the team and make the most of what they have in Jackson and Wallace.

So if you don't think this trade happens, the rest of my logic will be flawed to you, but this is what I'm thinking is in BC's mind:

PG: Jack, _______, _______
    SG: DD, Barbosa, _______
    SF: Kleiza, Diaw, _______
    PF: Davis, Johnson, ______
    C: Bargnani, Alabi, ______

Excluding Barbosa and Diaw the salary commitment for next year is about $29M.

With a new hardcap and considering Barbosa will be 28 and Diaw will be 29, I could see BC saying "Don't pick up the option on your contracts and we'll do 4yr/$20M deals." Basically something in the ball park of $5M a year each. If I was those guys with a hard cap, I'd take it.

This takes salary up to $39M.

Add in 2 first round draft picks ($5-6M).

We have about $45M in salary and 11 players.

That leaves about $15M to sign Weems, a bigger free agent (Jeff Green, Thaddeus Young, Marc Gasol, Al Horford would all be my choices), and a third string PG. The TPE could also factor in as well.

That is what I think BC is thinking about.

Now the league could be locked out for the whole season so this could all be for nothing.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      The negotiations for this summer's CBA are not looking promising. The NBAPA is not open to a hard cap or cutting their cut of 57% of revenue. The NBA is looking for a hard cap and more like 50% of revenue. Uh oh. We know in the end, the NBA will win this matter. Look no further than NHL lockout. Look no further than many teams lose money in the NBA - no operating costs means no money lost.

Sooooo.... with those things in mind and the consensus is looking at a salary cap of no more than $60M, I am attempting to look in to BC's mind for next season.

First off, I think the Raps end up trading Calderon for Diaw for no other reason than CHA clearly wants to move Diaw and Calderon is exactly the type of PG they need offensively and have a team that can help cover his defeciencies defensively. CHA needs to perform now to continue to get the support back behind the team and make the most of what they have in Jackson and Wallace.

So if you don't think this trade happens, the rest of my logic will be flawed to you, but this is what I'm thinking is in BC's mind:

PG: Jack, _______, _______
      SG: DD, Barbosa, _______
      SF: Kleiza, Diaw, _______
      PF: Davis, Johnson, ______
      C: Bargnani, Alabi, ______

Excluding Barbosa and Diaw the salary commitment for next year is about $29M.

With a new hardcap and considering Barbosa will be 28 and Diaw will be 29, I could see BC saying "Don't pick up the option on your contracts and we'll do 4yr/$20M deals." Basically something in the ball park of $5M a year each. If I was those guys with a hard cap, I'd take it.

This takes salary up to $39M.

Add in 2 first round draft picks ($5-6M).

We have about $45M in salary and 11 players.

That leaves about $15M to sign Weems, a bigger free agent (Jeff Green, Thaddeus Young, Marc Gasol, Al Horford would all be my choices), and a third string PG. The TPE could also factor in as well.

That is what I think BC is thinking about.

Now the league could be locked out for the whole season so this could all be for nothing.
      A hard cap would be great for the NBA, it would create stability financially for the league cause the current business model doesn't work. Teams have to spend money in order to be competitive, and while that is all well and good if every team is bringing in the same amount of money across the board, the reality is they don't. memphis does not have the same population as LA and thus can not generate the same revenue which leaves memphis at a disadvantage when it comes to acquiring players. I believe a majority of the teams that were in the playoffs last year were over the salary cap, that speaks volumes for this league.

if calderon can come off the books that would indeed put toronto in a great position going into the future.

Comment

Ken Berger raises the point that the institution of a hard salary cap in the NBA would likely require that existing contracts be amended to fit beneath a lower maximum-salary contract figure.

Without exceptions that allow teams to exceed the cap, a team like the Miami Heat would have difficulty fielding a 12-man roster unless the contracts of LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade are rolled back.
        Source: Real GM

Comment

Working...
        X