Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaw To Toronto? Raptors Working On It

Lawrence provides no source for this story

Raptors working to get Boris Diaw from Bobcats, won't help Nets in deal for Denver's Carmelo Anthony

BY Mitch Lawrence
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 30th 2010, 4:00 AM

With the Nets' deal for Carmelo Anthony dead, at least for now, the Toronto Raptors are again trying to land Charlotte forward Boris Diaw, (source please) one of the key players in the proposed Anthony blockbuster. The Raptors thought they had finalized a deal for Diaw over the summer, but Charlotte owner Michael Jordan reportedly nixed it at the 11th hour.
    Diaw

Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors On The Hunt For Diaw... Again

I love the bit about them telling the Nets to stick it. Anyway, I hope they are successful this time in landing Diaw. What do you guys think is on the table from Toronto's perspective? The Bobcats moved Chandler to essentially dump cap so maybe they're eyeing up Reggie Evans and/or Marcus Banks along with something else?

Comment

Seriously, this team does not need Diaw. However, if we could trade either Evans/Banks for him I'd be okay with it. Dude needs to stay in shape, he's almost in Eddy Curry territory.
      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Is he that good that we continually want to go after him??

Comment

If they want to play Barbosa at the PG position then I would suggest yes, but, really, if not it's still a yes. Also consider what they paid for Hedo Turkoglu last season. Colangelo's actions suggest he highly values point forwards.

Comment

Do we really need old 'Pudding Pop' Diaw. I didn't watch a lot of the worlds but heard that he was more girth than talent there.

Comment

This is just a stupid move. Why him? What does he bring to the table, with his conditioning and weight issues?
              The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
              Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
              www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
              http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
              http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

i think the only reason BC has been trying to land Diaw must be some sort of chemistry he has with Barbosa. BC has prob regreted splitting those two up since he was in Pheonix, im not sure why we'd even entertain any deals with Bobcats unless it rid's us of Jose's Contract. but then again after what MJ pulled in the summer i wouldnt offer anymore then ronald dupree for Diaw LOL.
                Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Sep 30, 2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Considering the Bobcats don't want to take on any salary (see Dampier, Erick), the Raps would have to relinquish the Bosh TPE to get Diaw.

Comment

The story has no source to it.

Personally, I think it was a rumor started by a Charlotte fan or writer who would love for the Bobcats to move him.

That kind of stuff happens all the time on the Net.

When I was a Pistons fan there were all kinds of rumors started by Kings writers who

1. Knew that their readers would love to read about that stuff
                    2. Wanted to dump some players and get some Pistons players in their place, even though Kings management didn't. There were never the same corresponding rumors coming out of Detroit. This was when the Pistons were still winning.

This story has some legs because BC did in fact almost acquire Diaw back before the Worlds.

Until it happens I think it is just unfounded gossip.

However, it could in fact be true so I posted the story.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Colangelo's just trying to meet Sir Chilly Most's quota of 20 players for training camp. Almost there ByCo, almost there.

Comment

Only way to play Barbosa at the point is to get a point forward preferably an in shape one as Diaw looked like the Good Year Blimp in the most recent FIBA tournament. I would hope that Prince not Diaw would be the target.

I can potentially see Banks & Evans going to the Bobcats for Diaw. But with the preaching of defense it seems odd to trade away arguably your 2 best defenders in favor of an offensive minded player in Diaw?

20 camp bodies or bust!!!!!!!lol

Comment

My question to Buddahfan is in virtually all rumor stories is the source ever named? I think the answer is 99% of the time "no". Unnamed sources are common.

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
                          20 camp bodies or bust!!!!!!!lol
                          LOL, you know the Raptors don't play on ice, right?
                          Last edited by Apollo; Thu Sep 30, 2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            Considering the Bobcats don't want to take on any salary (see Dampier, Erick), the Raps would have to relinquish the Bosh TPE to get Diaw.
                            I don't think the issue is taking on salary. The deal they pulled off with Dallas sees Charlotte acquiring more salary over the long term. The issue was getting under the salary cap and having enough bodies on the roster.

The trade for Calderon/Evans would have taken them down to a few $100K OVER the luxury tax.

The trade with Dallas (due to Dampier's contract) would get them to $65M - so now they have roster flexibility because they can take back up to nearly $5M without worrying about luxury tax.

I think Dampier is a solid big in the NBA, but I wouldn't pay him $13M - no NBA GM would either.

A combination of Jose for Diaw or Banks/Evans for Diaw would be nearly identical salaries going each way.

Personally, I would do either.

Comment

i dont know if im up for another colangelo band-aid quick-fix. BC obviously wants another combo forward who can play the 3 and some 4 along with Kleiza.
                              i just dont know know if im good with either of them playing alot if PF, and judging but what im hearing about Diaw's fitness i dont think im ok with him guarding 3's either lol but who knows it could work.....

Comment

Working...
                              X