Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The answer is shooting more threes? Triano can't be serious.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The answer is shooting more threes? Triano can't be serious.

We can't throw a rock in the ocean and he's suggesting we shoot more from long-distance:

We got to shoot the ball better we got to shoot a lot more threes. We’re taking 11, we need to shoot more than 11. We’re supposed to be a pretty good three point shooting team and that’s not the case right now.
    Isn't the answer to drive the ball, attack the rim, play with effort and grit, and give it your all on defense. Launching more threes to get your offense out of a slump just sounds fundamentally wrong.

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    We can't throw a rock in the ocean and he's suggesting we shoot more from long-distance:

Isn't the answer to drive the ball, attack the rim, play with effort and grit, and give it your all on defense. Launching more threes to get your offense out of a slump just sounds fundamentally wrong.
    That wasn't the first time Jay said they are not shooting enough 3s!

After watching the Altanta Hawks breeze through Toronto to pick up an easy win, Jay Triano make the comment that the Raptors were not taking enough three-point shots.

Now the “boys” at Gate 5 noticed; Leo, Sherm, and Adnan jumped on this comment and immediately began the discussion along the lines of: no more three-points shots, its defense they need!
    Anatomy of a Toronto Raptors Win

Jay has a point about a failure to take 3s as the Raptors use that to space the floor.

But maybe he should be addressing his star player's comments that "we're just not a good team" instead.

CB has said this twice recently. It's hard to win if you don't think you should.
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

I hate this advice. This basically means he wants to shoot our way to victory and everyone knows that's not how you win. Sure if you have a wide open shot go ahead but you better be a good shooter, if not get your ass in the lane and drive that ball
      Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

I just had a flashback to Mitchell's "100 shots per game" speech... You know, the one that resulted in him being mocked to no end and the also failure? Yeah... I can see where Jay is coming from but I don't know, maybe I'm too simplistic. I believe in going with the higher percentage option... Is jacking up more long range shots when they're struggling in that area going to lead to wins? Why doesn't Jay suggest the team needs to make more hard fouls, or needs to make more blocks around the basket or that he needs the guys gang rebounding more, crashing the boards? I get the fact that the Raptors, right now, are winning games by out scoring and not out defending but damn, the offense still isn't bad. I feel the focus in camp and to present day should be defense. The goals on the court should be defense oriented. These guys can make things happen on offense, why not work on lowering their opponent's scoring? Colangelo and his people have made offense priority one, two and three and everything else seems to be an after thought. Where is their big bad defensive minded assistant coach? What happened there with that? He sure as heck isn't the Don Capers of the NBA.
        Last edited by Apollo; Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          I just had a flashback to Mitchell's "100 shots per game" speech... You know, the one that resulted in him being mocked to no end and the also failure? Yeah... I can see where Jay is coming from but I don't know, maybe I'm too simplistic. I believe in going with the higher percentage option... Is jacking up more long range shots when they're struggling in that area going to lead to wins? Why doesn't Jay suggest the team needs to make more hard fouls, or needs to make more blocks around the basket or that he needs the guys gang rebounding more, crashing the boards? I get the fact that the Raptors, right now, are winning games by out scoring and not out defending but damn, the offense still isn't bad. I feel the focus in camp and to present day should be defense. The goals on the court should be defense oriented. These guys can make things happen on offense, why not work on lowering their opponent's scoring? Colangelo and his people have made offense priority one, two and three and everything else seems to be an after thought. Where is their big bad defensive minded assistant coach? What happened there with that? He sure as heck isn't the Don Capers of the NBA.
          Nice post. Problem I have is that even though offensive droughts are the problem, they are nowhere close to being the #1 problem on this team. We have SO many defensive problems - man, help, transition, recover - that even suggesting we take more threes (a low percentage shot that often kick starts breaks on long rebounds) is bordering stupidity.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            +1

I agree. You can't just tell your team to jack up threes hoping to win. Just like the 100 shots per game hing as you said. As much as I would like a win, I hope the Raps lose to NJN so that Triano gets fired
            Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

Its not the three's but rather the players that are used to knock down three's like Parker and Kapono are now gone without adequate replacements (not to mention that Jose is gone due to injury and even this year when he came back he couldn’t find his usual stroke)

Anyone can shoot three's but just like establishing post presence and attacking the rim, there has to be a certain and consistent talent which unfortunately is lacking in this team amongs other things.

Comment

Threes are great. I want more threes. I want them to be OPEN threes though. And you get open threes by establishing the inside game first. You can't have one without the other. Obviously, Orlando is the easiest example in today's game - they get a ton of open 3's because they feed Dwight first and swing the ball. The Raps need penetration, whether it's breaking guys down off the dribble or feeding the bigs in the post. With that, they'll get open 3's.

All of that said... The team is still 4th in the league in offense. None of this really matters. They need to figure out how to get stops.

Comment

Working...
                X