No announcement yet.

Carlesimo + YGZ® = Stiffling D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The intensity was there, no doubt. It's still to see if they'll be able to play every single game with the same level of energy. But at least we know that they can play the way we want them to play

Comment

Actually, the college style press and aggressive defense is borrowed from Coach K and Team USA. On a positive note, it is refreshing to see something that Jay stated in the media, actually transpire on the court, even for one pre-season game.

The real question is if the intensity and committment will last once the pecking order is established and guys have a level of comfort in their playing time & roles. For a short tourney like the worlds its okay, but a long NBA season is a tougher grind. Skill guys don't usually like to be 'energy' guys for 82 games.

"Defensively, last year, we had a very difficult time," Triano admitted. "We sat back and we had a hard time containing."

To turn that around, Triano isn't borrowing a page from the U.S. team's opponents, but from the U.S. team itself.

Kevin Durant was the offensive star at the World Championship, but it was the Americans' aggressive defense that was most responsible for bringing home gold from Istanbul. Triano doesn't have athletic defenders like Andre Iguodala and Russell Westbrook in Toronto, but his team will be faster and more athletic that it was last season.

DeMar DeRozan, Sonny Weems and Amir Johnson, three returnees with young legs, will have larger roles. Leandro Barbosa brings speed to the backcourt, while Kleiza brings versatility up front.

"We're going to be a lot more aggressive," Triano said. "With that athleticism, we're going to be able to keep guys in front of us a lot better. And if we can apply some pressure to turn teams over, it's going to create some offense."
      http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...ery/index.html

Comment

So Sir Chilly you're basically saying that regardless of what happens that you're reserving your opinion on the team until twenty games in to the regular season. Why tell us that you have no opinion? Seriously. We don't care if you have no opinion. Either say something or don't. Very simple. I know that you love the sound of your own typing...and your obviously some kind of frustrated basement rapper...but really, say something or don't. We don't care that you say nothing artfully. Think about it.

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post
          So Sir Chilly you're basically saying that regardless of what happens that you're reserving your opinion on the team until twenty games in to the regular season. Why tell us that you have no opinion? Seriously. We don't care if you have no opinion. Either say something or don't. Very simple. I know that you love the sound of your own typing...and your obviously some kind of frustrated basement rapper...but really, say something or don't. We don't care that you say nothing artfully. Think about it.
          Kiddo, you are completely stuck on stupid- rewind it and loop it.

As a matter of fact off to the Principal's office you go kiddo for your untenable facetious balderdash:

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
            Actually, the college style press and aggressive defense is borrowed from Coach K and Team USA. On a positive note, it is refreshing to see something that Jay stated in the media, actually transpire on the court, even for one pre-season game.

The real question is if the intensity and committment will last once the pecking order is established and guys have a level of comfort in their playing time & roles. For a short tourney like the worlds its okay, but a long NBA season is a tougher grind. Skill guys don't usually like to be 'energy' guys for 82 games.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...ery/index.html
            It'll be a real test for the Rap's to see if they can do the same to Bos(Rondo) & Chi(Rose) as they did to Phx in their next 2 preseason games. Btw- Phx was a team coming off of a game the night before and I think we all remember how dreadful TO was on the 2nd night of back to back games last season....

Comment

Hahah, Sir Chilly Most...love the moniker. It reeks of somebody who needs attention. I appreciate that your rebuttal like 90% of your posts are all style no substance. Just for the sake of everybody that has to read the crap you spew don't confuse wit and intelligence okay? Your overly blessed with one and woefully under endowed with the other.

Why don't you curl into your parents basement with a good book and come back when you have something to say?

Comment

I cant call it stifling with #8 on the floor...

Comment

Frankthetank wrote: View Post
                  Where's your attitude about how bad the raps are going to be? You were pretty negative on Kleiza before the preseason. Maybe you should stop listening to the talking heads who are predicting the Raptors last in the eastern conference. I think about half the analyst have them last in the eastern conf. One thing that was pretty noticable is that hedo and bosh were bad man to man defenders. As help side defenders they were alright but they constantly were getting beat.
                  The other big difference is that Kleiza scores in different ways and most of those ways are not one on one situations. Bosh and Hedo wanted to be one on one guys because they're ego's were to big for the team. No one player is bigger then the team and when that happens you don't have success but failure.
                  It was 1 exhibition game breh...

Comment

any one else enjoy the random closeups of Carlesimo on the bench and he was just talking the entire time but you had no idea who he was talking to? i feel like when times get rough, hes going to be the guy screaming at the players in the huddle... and i can't wait for that! finally

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post

Great point, unfortunately your wasting your time if you expect the wannabe rapper to actually understand intelligent insight.

Comment

The New Orleans Times Picayune reports the following from head coach Monty Williams:

“I like Marcus off the bench and he’s done a good job of buying into that,’’ Williams said. “I think he can be valuable to us with the firepower off the bench. You look at good teams around the league they got guys coming off the bench that can change the game. I told him it’s not who starts all the time, but if you can finish games is just as important.’’

http://bit.ly/cJ452e

A second unit of

Davis
                        Johnson
                        Barbosa
                        Jack
                        Weems

could definitely change games.

By the end of the season this could be the best second unit in the NBA?
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

This line was from Dough Smith's blog Saturday, October 9th:

"My man Paul Coro out in Phoenix finally caught up to the Suns yesterday (he didn’t make it up to Vancouver) and sent along this quote from Alvin Gentry last night.

Just putting it out there for you to see:

They were much better defensively than I've ever known them to be. PJ must've scared them into that.""

This is why I stated PJ might have been the most important off-season move.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

"My man Paul Coro out in Phoenix finally caught up to the Suns yesterday (he didn’t make it up to Vancouver) and sent along this quote from Alvin Gentry last night.

They were much better defensively than I've ever known them to be. PJ must've scared them into that.""

Couldn't agree more. ;-)))

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Or maybe the Rap's have more hungry players fighting for playing time and/or roster spots this season? He hasn't motivated Bargnani to do sh*t though- so far.

The Raptor's D will get even better once Bargnani is eventually replaced by Davis (the Rap's 4 of the future if he stays healthy) in the line up and Calderon is traded away or regulated to a bench role.

Comment

YG defense tonite was stellar. Can't say the same for the others though ...

Comment

Working...
                                X