Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So can we now criticize BC for the Hibbert-O'Neal trade ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it funny people talk about Hibberts stats relative to a shitty team but reject the same notion with bargnani instead suggesting he needs to be the No1 guy and other players took his space....

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      It was ok to criticize that trade from day one. It was high risk.

For the record, you can't say "Hibbert for O'Neal" because it's not accurate. It was Ford and a pick for O'Neal. Whether or not the Raptors would have selected Hibbert had they planned to keep the pick no one can know. They took Hibbert because the Pacers wanted him.
      you could always praise larry bird.

btw, it's not inaccurate either. it's more acurate than not.
      Last edited by LBF; Wed Oct 20, 2010, 03:51 PM.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I am afraid it's not time to discuss the bad deal. Hibbert has no body of work to speak of in the reg. season and there are other factors as well:

1) The Raps needed to let TJ go because of his spinal problems and inability to share the pg pos. with Jose
        2) Hibbert was in fact the Pacers choice. The Raps first rounder was part of the deal
        3) It was also a salary dump for the Raps (TJ had 4 more yrs @ approx. 8 mill left)
        4) JO was supposed to be that centre that was supposed to help/mesh with Bosh. Didnt work but his contract could have been a valuable expiry...which didnt work out as well.

If you feel a need to criticize that deal it should be about the player coming back and how his subsequent transaction was handled which also involved another first rounder which we incidentally got back (Bosh) and Marion who didnt stay. As someone else said you cannot be selective about the past and the circumstances surrounding a multiple faceted transaction. eg. did TJ turn out to be a great bargain for the Pacers?

Comment

Yeah I'm a BC fan and I will have to add to this argument to his detriment:

BC has lost out on better talent than Roy Hibbert...
          Last edited by Edgar; Wed Oct 20, 2010, 03:57 PM.
          When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Yeah but I'd take the fundamentally sound back to the basket Okafor any day.

Alright, well you keep on believing that but there are dozens of too good to fail high school to the pros stories. Nobody is quetioning what Howard was valued for, they're question your take on who was the safer pick and it certainly wasn't a high school kid over the NCAA player of the year who had just led his team to a national championship.
            Thats why you have scouts plus it was #1 pick,i never thought Okafor was a 1 guy franchise player...D12 had that potential...you could very easily argue D12 and bargs are similar in how its a risk to draft them....i think Andrea was a bigger risk not having played over here and not having Dwights physical tools but i see some similarities in how both teams wanted to take a risk for hopefully a big reward...thats what you do when you got that first pick sometimes.....lol Sam Bowie

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              Only if we can criticize every other single GM in hindsight for passing on players that ended up better than anyone expected. Only three current GMs haven't done that. Portland, Denver and Cleveland, and only because none of them have ever been in charge of a draft before.
              Why does Colangelo always seem to whiff BIG when it comes to passing on players and larger acquisitions, but gets praise for his bunt singles?

I'm still waiting for one of his vaunted moves to pan out. Lottery picks, second rounders with health issues (Jawaii most noticeably), big trades that flop, big signings that flop harder. It don't stop! If some fans expect to give him props for acquiring the Amir Johnson's and Sonny Weems of the league he should get criticism for trading 1st round picks for players that would help this team considerably now.

I agree hindsight is 20-20 but when is his FORESIGHT ever going to amount to anything significant? I hope Andrea and DeMar pan out, but I don't ever expect to see either of those players in an all-star game.

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
                Thats why you have scouts plus it was #1 pick,i never thought Okafor was a 1 guy franchise player...D12 had that potential...you could very easily argue D12 and bargs are similar in how its a risk to draft them....i think Andrea was a bigger risk not having played over here and not having Dwights physical tools but i see some similarities in how both teams wanted to take a risk for hopefully a big reward...thats what you do when you got that first pick sometimes.....lol Sam Bowie
                Yeah and the last #1 pick to come out of high school, who was a big man, with huge potential was Kwame Brown. He recieved great praise on the level of Dwight Howard as well. Look how that turned out.

I totally agree that Howard was then and is now the right pick but I cannot agree with you that back then he appeared to be the safer pick. Not even close.

Comment

Hibbert sucks, statistically speaking bargs is like 10x better than him.

Bargs, Toronto's TRUE all star

Comment

I think I am going to start a new thread with the title:

So can we now give BC props for the Delfino&Ukic - A.Johnson&Weems trade?

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

Do it!

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

How about "can we now criticize Vince Carter for leaving Toronto?"

Comment

In order to facilitate the trade the raptors agreed to Draft Hibbert on the Pacers behalf and then make the trade.

It is not like they picked him wanting him and then passed him up.

I at the time hoped for Hibbert to be selected as he was a great college player with a huge presence in the paint, very coach able and a big the raptors sorely need/needed.

Comment

all i can say is that everything happened for tha best

Comment

The entire premise of this thread is faulty

As Apollo pointed out, the trade was for draft picks. The Raptors never "traded" Hibbert. And anyway, at the time Hibbert was best known for his fryin-pan hands.

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
                                I guess you didnt notice he start ballin last year...
                                Every game I watched he was in foul trouble. Guess we'll have to wait to the real season to make an assessment.

Comment

Working...
                                X