Questions about Julian Wright and Alabi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Julian Wright and Alabi

Both of these players were getting limited time in pre-season and nothing has been written about them, so I don't know how these players have progressed.

Alabi from what I've seen, seems to be more comfortable on the floor then what he showed in Summer League, but because he's not getting any minutes I can't take it seriously.

Reading about Julian Wright, he came across as a decent defender who seemed lost with his role in New Orleans. How does he get his points? Does he have a post-up game? Mid-range game? My hypothesis is that his offensive game is similar to Amir Johnson, where he uses his athleticism to get to the rim. If that's the case then he'll be buried on the bench.

I was suprised that he shot a 3-point shot during the last Boston game, considering he only attempted 6 all of last year. Is this something that he has improved/focused on over the summer?

Has he done a good job defensively so far?

My hope is that Alabi, improves to the point that we can completely forget about POB. And that Julian Wright won't be a downgrade over Antoine.

Can anybody offer some analysis on these players?
    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

I will paraphrase my own quote as far as expectations for Alabi - "Until showing otherwise, I expect him to be POB/Jawai/Araujo" - meaning mainly don't expect miracles from 2nd round picks.

....But since then I've seen some of his tape and learnt a bit about him. He's only been playing since Masai and his Basketball Without Borders came to his country when he was younger. At 15 he moved to Florida and played I believe Prep-school Basketball and his team went undefeated. He went to Florida State to play Basketball and broke his leg in his freshmen season. His second season he averaged 11pts and 2.4 blocks and likely upon hearing that he was projected to go late first round (guaranteed money) he declared for the draft. Sometime during the draft process he was diagnosed with Hepatitis B which made his draft stock absolutely plummet - lucky for us we got him late in the draft.... Hep B is just a blood disease and has no physical effects whatsoever. It's contagious by means of blood and bodily fluids (read sexual) but while everyday bodily fluids technically have the virus - no known cases of infection by these means... Oh and only approx 10% of infected are contagious (I'm assuming the medical staff confirmed he was not part of that 10% prior to him being drafted). The kid is as good as POB right now (better defensively) - read as he's a 2nd string Center as far as his current polish - but he can definitely be a good rotation player in this league within 2 years. He has a very soft touch and a solid spot up jumper but has POB-like mobility at the moment... seemingly good defensive habits though... I hope he gets 10mins/game this year as he's a solid project but that might be asking too much of him and/or Triano.
    Last edited by Edgar; Wed Oct 20, 2010, 05:48 PM.
    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

alabi needs a post game, he has a very nice middle range jump shot and he needs to get stronger. Wright can play D but i think he is far back on the depth chart to get playing time.

Comment

Edgar I agree with you. I think Alabi will be a solid second string centre in this league. The things that seperate Alabi from POB, is the work ethic. I've heard nothing but good things with Alabi concerning his desire to constantly get better, he seems to work extremely hard in practice. I think with the work ethic that both Alabi and Dorsey have shown, they'll be solid role players in the near future.
        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

I jsut wish they would let Julian out there lose for a solid 10 - 12 mins and let him have a shoot at it, I was pretty hopefull about him at the trade, I guess he's behind Klieza and Weems for SF with DeRozen scooping up the remaining mins

Comment

That's what I was saying all along. I thought Wright should have got Dupree's minutes. As for Alabi I hope he spends most of this year in the D-league until we have some more injuries up front.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Based on his history I would expect Julian Wright to be a lot like Joey Graham (unfortunately) in that he's erratic in the minutes he recieves and might just not "get it". The upside is that unlike Joey he isn't being relied on for team success, so "Good Juju/Bad Juju" can come and go with less impact on the team results....

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                alabi needs a post game, he has a very nice middle range jump shot and he needs to get stronger. Wright can play D but i think he is far back on the depth chart to get playing time.
                Alabi has surprised me with some face-up post moves - I think 90% of his problems are athletically (needs strength/balance and conditioning) and otherwise he's a mid-lottery level talent. Unfortunately his athletic mountain to climb-of sorts is a big one and he can only provide spot minutes (~5 mpg) until he (or if he) can transform his body into one of a professional athlete....

Comment

Julian can do a bit of everything at an average level. He's very athletic, has a decent pull-up game. Defends fairly well.

His ball IQ's a little questionable, but he's average at almost everything.
                  Joshua Priemski
                  NBA blogger
                  SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                  www.RufusOnFire.com/
                  www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Working...
                  X