No announcement yet.

Record High 84 International Players in NBA This Season - Raptors Lead With Six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record High 84 International Players in NBA This Season - Raptors Lead With Six

InsideHoops.com | Oct. 26, 2010

International Players in NBAOpening-night team rosters for the 2010-11 NBA season feature a record 84 international players from 38 countries and territories. Twenty-eight of the 30 teams feature at least one international player. The league set its previous opening-night record in 2006-07, with 83 players from 37 countries and territories.

The Toronto Raptors have the most international players, with six, followed by the Dallas Mavericks and Utah Jazz, with five each. Eight teams have four international players.

The Raptors are also the most internationally diverse team, with six countries represented: Australia, Brazil, Italy, Lithuania, Nigeria, and Spain.
    cont here

Seems to follow the demographics of Toronto with regard to diverse nationalities.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Yes and none of them will be MVP,ROY,Def POY or leader of the title winning team but enjoy your precious euros and other intl irrelevant 12th men....

Comment

In recent years...

Nash has won 2 MVPs.

Nowtizki almost lead his team to a ring. He came as close as you can get.

Thabo Sefolosha and Anderson Varejao made the all-defensive 2nd team last year. AK47 has made both the 1st and 2nd team all-defense.

... And this is just off the top of my head while excluding the likes of The Dream, Mutombo, Arvydas Sabonis and Vlade Dviac for example...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        In recent years...

Nash has won 2 MVPs.

Thabo Sefolosha and Anderson Varejao made the all-defensive 2nd team last year. AK47 has made both the 1st and 2nd team all-defense.

... And this is just off the top of my head while excluding the likes of The Dream, Mutombo, Arvydas Sabonis and Vlade Dviac for example...
        are you referring to nash's canadian background or south african?
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

In recent years...

Nash has won 2 MVPs.

Exactly. I still maintain that before that vomit-inducing broken leg, Garbajosa had the potential to be one of the smartest, scrappiest players in the game too. Plus looking back at legends and strong supporting players from my childhood: Bill Wennington, Tony Kukoc, Luc Longley, Rick Fox, my dutch countryman Rick Smits, and Band of Horses favourite Detlef Schrempf.

Comment

In recent years...

Nash has won 2 MVPs.

Thanks for making my point for me...Dirk couldnt lead his team to a lesser team (2006) and then proceeded to get shytted on by the Warriors in the 1st round a year later depite being a 1 seed with 67 wins,he completely disappeared in that series...as most overrated euros do when it gets physical and tough....not to say i dont like Dirk but he is not capable of leading a team to a ship....Nash is not a euro/overseas player and he is considered intl but isnt really he plays an american style having gone to Santa Clara so that doesnt work...

and those 2 MVPs were bogus btw...

Who else ?
            Peja ? mmmkay
            Rik Smits ? NOOOOOPE
            Kukoc ? lol
            Vlade was a flopping embarrasment to the game
            Sabonis was past his prime when he got here so who cares
            Varajeo ? see Divac

Only euro whoever had the heart to match skill to do it in this league was Drazo RIP...

Comment

Dear Trife 76,

Tony Parker, Dirk Nowitzki, Manu Ginobli, Pau Gasol and his brother Marc, would like to speak to you outside. Something about being 12th men? I'm not sure, but they looked kind of pissed off.

Comment

Parker plays an american style of basketball,Dirk is a choker,Manu is south american..Pao Gasol is a soft big man who piggybacked Jack Bauer 24 to 2 rings,his brother Marc is a stat stuffer who doesnt protect the basket on a terrible team with an unkept beard...anything else ?

Comment

You guys are all forgetting the key player that brought the international scene under the NBA's attention.

His name?

He was known by many names, such as the "Mozart of basketball", "basketball Amadeus", "Petro", but his real name was ofc:

Drazen Petrovic

Comment

It doesn't matter if they play an "american" style of basketball. They still need a basketball and they still need to get it through a 10ft hoop with or without a trapezoid key. And just because they play an "american" style of basketball, doesn't mean they'll always win. Tell that to the Gold Medalist Argentina back in 2006 (correct me if i'm wrong...) But anyway, that's beside the point at which you're making your arguement. There are a lot of talented international players out there, and yes they've won championships and received the highest accolades an individual can achieve as your fellow RR members have pointed out before you. So if you want to make a prejudice statement, then start your own forum entitled, "I.P.S. = International Players Suck" and read as you get ripped by many on here... haha...
                    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

Ya, it is kind of funny that any decent Int'l player someone mentions, the op simply states that they play "American" ball. Wouldn't be easier to say that any player that is decent plays "american" and any player that stinks plays "euro"? That seems like what you are trying to say. Like, "that damned Euro Banks sitting at the end of the bench collecting a paycheque!"

Comment

i think trife just doesnt like them funny talkin' honkies.

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
                          Parker plays an american style of basketball,Dirk is a choker,Manu is south american..Pao Gasol is a soft big man who piggybacked Jack Bauer 24 to 2 rings,his brother Marc is a stat stuffer who doesnt protect the basket on a terrible team with an unkept beard...anything else ?
                          American style basketball? Stop sounding like a racist. Basketball is basketball. You still need to put the ball in the basket to score.
                          You say that Gasol piggybacked his way to championships? The Lakers wouldn't have sniffed the WCF's without Gasol. As for the younger Gasol, I'd trade anyone on our team for him. He's a monster in the middle.

A lot of people are sleeping on Casspi - I think he's gonna be a fantastic player in years to come.

Comment

It's nice to see that the Raps have that international flair on their team. It equates into bigtime international prospects wanting to play in Toronto. Much like the Jays in the early 90s with their foothole in the Dominican Republic - it made players from the spanish speaking nations want to play in Toronto. In the end, it pays dividends.

Comment

"Parker plays an american style of basketball"

Oh, man, you're funny, trife. Pathetic, biased, and completely unconvincing, but funny. That one quote illustrates why your entire conception is self-evidently, obviously, useless and wrong. If someone plays aggressive, they must be playing 'american-style', even if they're European. How does that make sense? Doesn't it just show that Europeans can be aggressive, and so your whole bullshit stereotyped redneck nonsense view is full of it?

I mean, your sad-sack dissing of the Gasol brothers is funny too. It takes either a bold man or an idiot to call the second-best player on a 2-time championship team 'soft' and a 'piggy-backer'. But whatever. Keep on dissing the euros man. All you're doing is making yourself look like a bigoted tool, which is fine by me.

Comment

Working...
                              X