Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbosa Considering Surgery

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...hebuzzer110510

Toronto Raptors guard Leandro Barbosa told Yahoo! Sports that he’s considering having additional surgery on his right wrist to repair a damaged ligament. While with the Phoenix Suns, he underwent surgery on Jan. 26 to remove a cyst in the wrist and has had problems shooting comfortably since. Barbosa re-injured the wrist during a fall in the Raptors’ final exhibition game against New York on Oct. 22. Through four games this season, he’s averaging 9.3 points while shooting just 37.5 percent. He said he has “no power” when he shoots. “I want to wait,” Barbosa said. “But if it keeps affecting my game, I’ll have to [have surgery] for sure.” Yahoo! Sports

might as well, its not like we're winning anyways.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

true i would rather wait a few months and have a 100% healthy barbosa then have a 60% healthy barbosa for the whole season
      ya dun noe

Comment

jbml wrote: View Post
        http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...hebuzzer110510

Toronto Raptors guard Leandro Barbosa told Yahoo! Sports that he’s considering having additional surgery on his right wrist to repair a damaged ligament. While with the Phoenix Suns, he underwent surgery on Jan. 26 to remove a cyst in the wrist and has had problems shooting comfortably since. Barbosa re-injured the wrist during a fall in the Raptors’ final exhibition game against New York on Oct. 22. Through four games this season, he’s averaging 9.3 points while shooting just 37.5 percent. He said he has “no power” when he shoots. “I want to wait,” Barbosa said. “But if it keeps affecting my game, I’ll have to [have surgery] for sure.” Yahoo! Sports
        I was concerned about this when the Suns made a trade which based upon talent and contracts seemed one sided at the time.

Now that I think about this. As I mentioned during the FIBA games Barbosa was shooting an extraordinarily high number of his shots from three point range. It could be that every time the hand is hit or bangs on something that it hurts like all get-out so Barbosa was trying to avoid contact to it during the FIBA games.

Clearly with the Raptors Barbosa cannot park himself outside the three point line and primarily jack up threes when he is in the game. So now since the hand receives a lot of contact especially when he goes to the basket with the ball, the pain may be too great for him to continue without another operation.

The question is:

If he does go under the knife again will they be able to eliminate the pain without destroying his ability to be an effective shooter?

Lets hope for the best.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
          true i would rather wait a few months and have a 100% healthy barbosa then have a 60% healthy barbosa for the whole season
          You are assuming that the pain problem can be fixed without it negatively affecting his ability to play basketball. Maybe they will have to remove whatever nerves he has in his right hand or alternatively do reconstructive surgery which could keep him out all season and maybe even, though I think it is a long shot end his career.

I would not want the nerves to any part of my body, other than root canals, severed so that I have no feeling in that part of my body especially the hand where you touching hot stuff all the time.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

He might as well have the surgery. You can see that it's affecting his shooting. Better for him to do it now instead of in the off-season where you don't know how long it's takes for him to recover and going into a contract season.

Comment

How long will he be down for?

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
                x2..

Comment

Barbosa needs to take care of his body no need to sacrifice his future health- get the surgery asap............

Comment

Eeek. I hope Barbosa gets healthy, we need his energy, shooting and production if we want to win games...

Comment

I think he should get the surgery...esp. if he says he has "no power" when he shoot...wow how can that not effect his shot. Im surprised b/c I think he has been shooting pretty well actually.

plus: more minutes for DD, he's only averaging 30 mins....he should be playing until he drops

Derozan/Kleiza/Weems on the wings is good enough IMO

Comment

Look the way I see it, he's not helping us right now anyways, so might as well get it fixed before is becomes more serious later.

At this point of the season we can afford to lose him, but once we're into the last month of the season, possibly fighting for a playoff spot, losing him would be a huge blow to this team

It's a win-win situation even if we are out of the playoffs then, b/c having him in the roster is only going to give the team 3-4 more wins that we don't need if we want to get a high pick.

Comment

If he's going for surgery, he should go now. His decision making worries me more than his shooting anyway, but he needs to get healthy rather than risk more damage. Hate to bring this up again, but are we really still not questioning the Marco trade?

Comment

Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
                            I think he should get the surgery...esp. if he says he has "no power" when he shoot...wow how can that not effect his shot. Im surprised b/c I think he has been shooting pretty well actually.
                            Seen any of those air balls he's thrown up on multiple occasions..? When a three is falling a couple feet short, you know there's a problem, especially with such a proven shooter.

Comment

Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
                              Seen any of those air balls he's thrown up on multiple occasions..? When a three is falling a couple feet short, you know there's a problem, especially with such a proven shooter.
                              No I didn't see those (havn't seen every minute of the games though)....its not surprising considering even if someone breathes on your arm during a shot you're liable to miss. If he has a distinct injury on his shooting wrist I wonder why he is even bothering to play through it.

and yeah it wouldn't hurt the Raps to lose a few more games anyway muuhahhah *evil laugh*

DD/kleiza/weems is good enough to "lose competitively"

Comment

Working...
                              X