This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Fanhouse: Revisiting The 2006 Draft

An interesting article from 2009 that I found and wanted to share. I'm sure some of you may have read this before but for those who haven't it just takes a look back at the 2006 draft. Feel free to drop a thought or 2 on the particulars contained within:

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/23/r...006-nba-draft/

It's hard to blame the Toronto Raptors for taking a 7-footer with 3-point range and the ability to play three positions. That's what Andrea Bargnani presented as the No. 1 pick. There was no clear-cut top choice. The 2006 NBA Draft was filled with unproven early entries, a couple of seasoned seniors and raw big men looking for a big payday.

So the Raptors took the player they thought had the best upside. Hey, the NBA Draft is about development these days, right? Nobody in this supposed weak draft was supposed to be an All-Star anyway, right? No one told that to Brandon Roy, who was passed up by five teams and traded by another. Finally, the Portland Trail Blazers, still ringing from a reputation of bad guys, car racers and dog fighters, had a franchise player in their hands, and he was from nearby Seattle.

But who knew? Who knew Roy would turned into a brilliant shooting guard or that Adam Morrison would blow out his knee or that Patrick O'Bryant was a one-game wonder? Despite hundreds of scouts scurrying across the country to evaluate talent, the draft is still a major crap shoot and the 2006 version proved that.

It's not that Bargnani has been a bust, but he's definitely been slow to develop and the Raptors have been slow to improve because of that, costing coach Sam Mitchell his job. So if GM Bryan Colangelo had to do it all over again, of course he would take Roy, who would've teamed with Chris Bosh for a sparkling Canadian combo. Many scouts took Roy's game for granted, especially since he was hidden at the University of Washington. But he is unquestionably the best player of this draft and the Raptors don't pass this time.

The way it was:

1) Andrea Bargnani – Toronto
    2) LaMarcus Aldridge – Chicago
    3) Adam Morrison – Charlotte
    4) Tyrus Thomas – Portland
    5) Shelden Williams – Atlanta
    6) Brandon Roy – Minnesota
    7) Randy Foye – Boston
    8) Rudy Gay – Houston
    9) Patrick O'Bryant – Golden State
    10) Mouhamed Sene – Seattle
    11) J.J. Redick – Orlando
    12) Hilton Armstrong – New Orleans
    13) Thabo Sefolosha – Philadelphia
    14) Ronnie Brewer – Utah

The way it should have been:

1) Brandon Roy – Toronto
    2) LaMarcus Aldridge –Chicago
    3) Rudy Gay – Charlotte
    4) Rajon Rondo – Portland
    5) Ronnie Brewer – Atlanta
    6) Tyrus Thomas – Minnesota
    7) Randy Foye –Boston
    8) Andrea Bargnani– Houston
    9) Paul Millsap – Golden State
    10) Craig Smith – Seattle
    11) Daniel Gibson – Orlando
    12) Kyle Lowry– New Orleans
    13) J.J. Redick – Philadelphia
    14) Leon Powe – Utah

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by SirChillyMost; Sun Nov 7, 2010, 01:09 AM.

http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/05/...a-draft-class/
    2006 Draft (the actual top 10)

1. Andrea Bargnani, Toronto Raptors

2. LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland Trail Blazers

3. Adam Morrison, Charlotte Bobcats

4. Tyrus Thomas, Chicago Bulls

5. Shelden Williams, Atlanta Hawks

6. Brandon Roy, Portland Trail Blazers

7. Randy Foye, Minnesota Timberwolves

8. Rudy Gay, Memphis Grizzlies

9. Patrick O’Bryant, Golden State Warriors

10. Saer Sene, Seattle SuperSonics

2006 Draft (the should-have-been top 5)

1. Brandon Roy

2. Rudy Gay

3. Tyrus Thomas

4. Rajon Rondo

5. LaMarcus Aldridge

Comment

http://www.hoopangle.com/2009/08/can...-nba-re-draft/

1 Toronto Raptors Brandon Roy, Guard, Washington
      2 Chicago Bulls (from New York) Rudy Gay, Forward, Connecticut
      3 Charlotte Bobcats LaMarcus Aldridge, Forward, Texas
      4 Portland Trail Blazers Paul Millsap, Forward, Louisiana Tech 13.5, 8.6, 1.8, 1.0, 1.0
      5 Atlanta Hawks Rajon Rondo, Guard, Kentucky
      6 Minnesota Timberwolves Randy Foye, Guard, Villanova
      7 Boston Celtics Tyrus Thomas, Forward, Louisiana State
      8 Houston Rockets Ronnie Brewer, Guard, Arkansas
      9 Golden State Warriors Andrea Bargnani, Forward, Italy

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
        An interesting article from 2009 that I found and wanted to share. I'm sure some of you may have read this before but for those who haven't it just takes a look back at the 2006 draft. Feel free to drop a thought or 2 on the particulars contained within:

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/23/r...006-nba-draft/

The way it was:

7) Randy Foye – Boston
        8) Rudy Gay – Houston
        11) J.J. Redick – Orlando
        12) Hilton Armstrong – New Orleans
        13) Thabo Sefolosha – Philadelphia
        14) Ronnie Brewer – Utah

1) Brandon Roy – Toronto
        3) Rudy Gay – Charlotte
        7) Randy Foye –Boston
        14) Leon Powe – Utah

Any thoughts?
        Foye and Brewer ahead of Bargs and Millsap is not a good call.
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

This is a topic which has been discussed incessantly on this board (since the forums were instituted). It would have been more worthwhile if the op was about an article which was disputive about what actually happened at that draft or had a viewpoint that Bargnani was a terrible mistake and Roy was really going to be "da guy". If I remember well there was at best muted approval about Bargs choice and the potential he would turn into a player (which he has not, yet). Roy was celebrated more for his change of teams on draft day and being most nba ready (reminds me of the Patterson scouting report in this yr's draft) rather than any wild expectations at least from any of the usual sources. If any "coulda" can be applied to the Raptors choice it would be Aldridge. He was known to be quite in the running for the Raps and actually Bosh's choice (both from the Dallas area and practice buddies I believe). I suppose the possibilities of Bargs as a nba centre must have won the day since Aldridge was considered a Bosh clone.

Comment

In what world Tyrus Thomas, Randy Foye and Ronnie Brewer are better players than Bargs. Again US press ignoring Raptors players. And about Paul Millsap, we can discuss if he's better than Bargs, not sure. He's right there with Lamarcus Aldridge, in my opinion, a step ahead of Rudy Gay, I don't like his game, and I spected much more improvment for him. Gay was the palyer with most potential in this clas

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              This is a topic which has been discussed incessantly on this board (since the forums were instituted). It would have been more worthwhile if the op was about an article which was disputive about what actually happened at that draft or had a viewpoint that Bargnani was a terrible mistake and Roy was really going to be "da guy". If I remember well there was at best muted approval about Bargs choice and the potential he would turn into a player (which he has not, yet). Roy was celebrated more for his change of teams on draft day and being most nba ready (reminds me of the Patterson scouting report in this yr's draft) rather than any wild expectations at least from any of the usual sources. If any "coulda" can be applied to the Raptors choice it would be Aldridge. He was known to be quite in the running for the Raps and actually Bosh's choice (both from the Dallas area and practice buddies I believe). I suppose the possibilities of Bargs as a nba centre must have won the day since Aldridge was considered a Bosh clone.
              Thats why I say drafting Bosh ahead of D-Wade was a mistake, not b/c Wade was and is the better player, but had we have him, I think the Raptors would have drafted Aldridge instead of Barney, but sadly, drafting is not our thing, the organization was never good at it, look how many mistakes we've made in the past.

It is what it is, we just hope this decade is not as bad the previous.

Comment

He wouldn't have been as good without the big-3 experience and Doc Rivers, but Rondo is pushing Roy pretty hard to be the best player of this draft class. Tyrus Thomas ahead of Bargs? Really? Really?... No, really? Have you even watched a basketball game? Maybe these guys should have left Morrison in their ideal top 10 too...

Comment

u guys realize that barg was the runner up for rookie of the year......

Could we get Roy in 2006... yes
                  Is Bargnani a bust?.... no
                  Is Adam Morrison a bust? no

When we look at the top 10...and 5 considered bust / crappy players compare to Bargnani...I think we were lucky that we don't have the worst end of the stick...
                  7) Randy Foye – Boston
                  8) Rudy Gay – Houston

Comment

What has happened, happened. There is no point for these thread.

In 2006 Bargs was the guys with the most potential and that is the reason he was drafted #1 overall. It just didn't pan out (well at least not yet still lots of time (Bargs is only 24)). Drafting isn't easy, so stop making a billion different "what if" threads.

Comment

Raúl wrote: View Post
                      In what world Tyrus Thomas, Randy Foye and Ronnie Brewer are better players than Bargs. Again US press ignoring Raptors players. And about Paul Millsap, we can discuss if he's better than Bargs, not sure. He's right there with Lamarcus Aldridge, in my opinion, a step ahead of Rudy Gay, I don't like his game, and I spected much more improvment for him. Gay was the palyer with most potential in this clas
                      lol ugh Paul Millsap IS better than Andrea....so is LA...

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
                        Thats why I say drafting Bosh ahead of D-Wade was a mistake, not b/c Wade was and is the better player, but had we have him, I think the Raptors would have drafted Aldridge instead of Barney, but sadly, drafting is not our thing, the organization was never good at it, look how many mistakes we've made in the past.

It is what it is, we just hope this decade is not as bad the previous.
                        Your last sentence does it for me cause I am tired of rehashing this topic and it doesnt matter anymore. We are where we are. If ED hadnt fallen to us I dont know who we would have picked. As I had mentioned/written a post before this past draft that on the topic of the Raps not really having a very good selection record especially in the second round (I know Calderon was one but I cant help feeling he was an afterthought to be left in Europe) or scouting for trades. The one person who has always been around and seems to keep his job is Jim Kelly the head of scouting. Wonder how he does it and under so many GMs. I am aware the gm has the final say but if has the goods and the chosen is other than who he has recommended I can only assume he is not forceful enough with making his case. The record after the Isiah years has been sketchy. Behind every great gm must be a great talent evaluator...isn't this true? Very rarely I think both are the same.

Comment

Calderon wasn't drafted. He was signed as a free agent.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post

1) Brandon Roy – Toronto
                            3) Rudy Gay – Charlotte
                            7) Randy Foye –Boston
                            14) Leon Powe – Utah

Any thoughts?
                            This makes very little sense. First of all, why would Atlanta take Ronnie Brewer, who's a nice player, but certainly not in the same category as Bargnani, over Bargnani? Minnesota would certainly have taken Bargnani, as would Boston. Foye is a horrible player and Thomas STILL isn't getting a lot of burn on a pretty mediocre Charlotte team.

I also question why you'd pick Aldridge over both Gay and Rondo.

It just seems to me like you're being far too biased with your picks instead of thinking logically.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              This makes very little sense. First of all, why would Atlanta take Ronnie Brewer, who's a nice player, but certainly not in the same category as Bargnani, over Bargnani? Minnesota would certainly have taken Bargnani, as would Boston. Foye is a horrible player and Thomas STILL isn't getting a lot of burn on a pretty mediocre Charlotte team.

I also question why you'd pick Aldridge over both Gay and Rondo.

It just seems to me like you're being far too biased with your picks instead of thinking logically.
                              Obviously you didn't click on the link because this is not my redraft it is NBA Fanhouse's.....smh

Before you hate please learn to regulate the particulars......smh
                              Last edited by SirChillyMost; Sat Nov 6, 2010, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X