Sooooo Ya, How 'Bout Them Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sooooo Ya, How 'Bout Them Raptors?

Well, 6 games in and eventhough the record isn't what most of us would like to see, I'd have to say I'm not as disappointed as I thought I'd be. Sure we've had breakdowns at crucial times, but I chalk that up to the lack of experience. I feel I can use that excuse right now because the season is still young, but you can't discount the effort our there with these guys.

Moving forward, what do you guys think needs to be done? I'm not looking for "Fire Jay" or "Trade Andrea for Mike Sweetney" answers, but more of are there things that we can do like tweaking the line-up or getting more from players who haven't been given an opportunity type of answers.

Colangelo isn't going to have the ability to pull of some amazing trade to make us contenders any time soon, so we're going to have the make the most of what we have right now.

In the meantime, let us know how you feel so far after the first couple weeks?

Colangelo shouldn't do anything. This team needs to develop some chemistry. Save it for next summer when he has a top 5 pick, cap space and a large trade exception to work with.

Comment

i haven't watched a full game yet and don't have sportsnet one so haven't watched many, and to be honest i haven't really cared i was pissed when i heard the announcement of sportsnet one hosting raptors game but i juist haven't cared.

nobody cares about this season there is no hype, everyone that was judging them has had them live up to expectations.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Tweak in the starting line-up

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
        Well, 6 games in and eventhough the record isn't what most of us would like to see, I'd have to say I'm not as disappointed as I thought I'd be. Sure we've had breakdowns at crucial times, but I chalk that up to the lack of experience. I feel I can use that excuse right now because the season is still young, but you can't discount the effort our there with these guys.

Moving forward, what do you guys think needs to be done? I'm not looking for "Fire Jay" or "Trade Andrea for Mike Sweetney" answers, but more of are there things that we can do like tweaking the line-up or getting more from players who haven't been given an opportunity type of answers.

Colangelo isn't going to have the ability to pull of some amazing trade to make us contenders any time soon, so we're going to have the make the most of what we have right now.

In the meantime, let us know how you feel so far after the first couple weeks?
        I too am excited. We are no longer Bosh-centric and that is a massive plus. Here are my suggested tweaks (this may garner anger but what the heck):

1. Calderon back to the line-up. Clearly the scoring difficulties needs to be addressed. We're falling behind in too many first quarters to date. The Raps' defence depends on how well they score. If they don't score, their defensive success is affected (this is a team that dwells on misses as seen from their transition defence).

2. Given Calderon's relationship with Johnson, he should start as well. This is by no means a knock on Reggie but he needs to come off the bench (the team is burning him out). We need Johnson for interior scoring (since Bargs is allergic down low). Too many teams are ignoring Reggie as a scoring option. Both him and Jack is required for energy purposes on the second unit.

3. Weems need to start. Kleiza is being asked too much to start. His mobility is not as great (Batum pretty much exposed him for that). Again, not a knock on Kleiza but he is a small 4 not a pure SF. As a member of the second unit, he can be scoring option # 1. Weems is more mobile and can stretch the floor as well.

Here's my tweaked line-up. Also, I think they're team defense is improving.

PG - Calderon
        SG - Derozan
        SF - Weems
        PF - Johnson
        C - Bargnani

PS> I'm not a Young Ones fan but given we're 1-5, we gotta try this line-up.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

The Raps need to stay the course and stick to the plan: Play-out the season and finish with a bottom-3 record.

The goal this season isn't about winning. It's about talent evaluation and obtaining of a top draft pick. We need to see what we truly have in Weems, Bargs, Wright, DeRozan and Johnson.

The expectations aren't very high, but neither is the overall quality of the talent on the team.
          RR OG

Comment

I'm really not disappointed at all about the record. It's roughly what I thought it would be. The team is in a rebuild year no matter what Colangelo is trying to spin it as. I'm used to watching these sorts of Raptors campaigns because sadly enough the majority have been like this. If we approach the season with the mindset of having zero expectations in terms of win percentage and focus more so on the development of key players, like DeMar and Ed, then I think we will get a lot more enjoyment out of the season than grief. It is what it is and I'm gald we're into it now and people are starting to see this.

Firing Jay is pointless right now. Who is gonna replace him? Another rookie head coach? They should treat Jay how they should have treated Sam Mitchell. That being, he's not delivering as desired but he's be best bad choice out there and as such should be kept until a good option is found to be available.

I think they should trade Reggie at a high and get developmental pieces for him. They need to move Banks in the same way and land pieces from a seller with the TPE.
            Last edited by Apollo; Sun Nov 7, 2010, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I'm really not disappointed at all about the record. It's roughly what I thought it would be. The team is in a rebuild year no matter what Colangelo is trying to spin it as. I'm used to watching these sorts of Raptors campaigns because sadly enough the majority have been like this. If we approach the season with the mindset of having zero expectations in terms of win percentage and focus more so on the development of key players, like DeMar and Ed, then I think we will get a lot more enjoyment out of the season than grief. It is what it is and I'm gald we're into it now and people are starting to see this.

Firing Jay is pointless right now. Who is gonna replace him? Another rookie head coach? They should treat Jay how they should have treated Sam Mitchell. That being, he's not delivering as desired but he's be best bad choice out there and as such should be kept until a good option is found to be available.

I think they should trade Reggie at a high and get developmental pieces for him. They need to move Banks in the same way and land pieces from a seller with the TPE.
              You have to expect there being at least 4-6 playoff teams that will be eager to add Reggie Evans before the trade deadline. That kind of market demand will surely command the acquisition of a decent prospect and a first round pick.
              RR OG

Comment

We should trade Reggie, Barbosa and Jack/Calderon to a play-off team for some youth. Play-off teams will love love all three off the bench, especially Barbosa.

One thing I have to say is that when Jack is having a bad night (bad shot selection, turnovers, not seeing the offense) you put Jose on ASAP.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                  i haven't watched a full game yet and don't have sportsnet one so haven't watched many, and to be honest i haven't really cared i was pissed when i heard the announcement of sportsnet one hosting raptors game but i juist haven't cared.

nobody cares about this season there is no hype, everyone that was judging them has had them live up to expectations.
                  I'm with ya 100%. Its pretty deflating when I haven't been able to watch a single Raptors game because I can't afford sportsnet one or tsn2. I guess the big wigs don't care about the fans and only about money. Way to go Raptors franchise, I didn't think it was possible for you to fuck the fans over more then we've already been fucked over.

Comment

www.atdhe.net is where to go to watch Raptors games if you don't have the cable channels. There are probably other places, but that's a good one.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

I fully agree with that.

1) Get a big man coach and see if you can finally get some low post moves for Amir and AB and try to evaluate their real potentials.

2) Play Weems and DD and focus on their defence. Try to encourage the good defensive habits in them.

3) Play Evans as much as possible to raise his value and trade him for some draft picks. This will also allow yo to give alot more minutes to Davis when he is back.

4) Allow Barbosa to have his surgery in a month or two.

5) Give Playing time to Banks. There will be play off teams who like to have a defensive back up point guard who can shoot 3. Maybe you can get some picks for hs contract as well.

6) Play Wright and see what is there !! Why did you trade for him in the first place and ...

7) Try to move Jose or Jack. Neither of these guys should be your starting PG next season.

8) Work with AB on defense, work with AB on defense, work with AB on defense and ....

This team will finish bottom 5 in this year anyway.

Comment

I know you don't want any trade Bargs scenarios but the reality is, he has to go. ( how about for O.J. Mayo and Darrel Arthur)

Give Davis some burn to develop. Same for Alabi. Trade Jose or Jack and use either Barbosa or Kleiza at P.G. along with Banks to back-up the other. (how about trade Jack for Rudy Fernandez)

Give Demar, Amir, Sonny, Wright time to develop. If they don't consistently show improvement than trade them next summer.

Comment

Teach Jay about matchups... he seems to go into most games with a set line-up in mind and appears to be reluctant to change things up AND worst of all when he does find a line-up that is working, he inexplicably switches 3 or 4 players out, and the other team immediately goes on a run

Comment

Triano said he will keep the hot hands in the games but he has not been doing that. I feel that we could have been 5-1 or even 6-0 with a good coach putting the right combination of players down the road. Why do we use up our pics or trade for someone if we are not going to use them? Wright and Dorsey seems like they can add something to the game. Banks should be given the chance to play and prove himself for the same amount of time as Jack and Calderon is getting.

Most teams have one point PG but no, not Toronto. Haven't had one for as many years now. I blame Triano for being too soft. Someone's not play or doing what you ask him to do, take him out the game and let someone else try. That's the way to put a fire under their A$$es.

Period!

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
                              www.atdhe.net is where to go to watch Raptors games if you don't have the cable channels. There are probably other places, but that's a good one.
                              The Sports Centre Cafe for RFF is another place. The only games I've watch so far this season are the Friday night ones - the only ones worth "watching".

ATDHE is the best stream link for Raps games.
                              RR OG

Comment

Working...
                              X