Phil Jackson Regarding the Lakers - Raptors Game - "They Are Very Good"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Jackson Regarding the Lakers - Raptors Game - "They Are Very Good"

Yes that is what he just said on the Lakers pre-game show tonight before the Lakers - Trailblazers game.

He said among other good things about the Raptors

"They are very good, they ran out very good in transition"

EOM
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Come be our coach then, phil.

Comment

I think he says that about every team that manages to lose by less than 10 points

Comment

phil is a great coach and he knows what hes talking about

Comment

Point is the Raps would have lost the other night to the Lakers if Bosh was still on the team too, as they would have in Sacramento, and Portland. This team is no worse than last years team. They have started with a fairly new team getting used to each other with a tough opening schedule. As I've stated earlier I believe this team will surprise some folks after Christmas and even though they will likely win fewer games than last year, it will be because the rest of the east especially has improved not because the Raps have gotten worse.

Comment

Has any opposing coach ever commented negatively about "their guests" especially after beating them in a regular season game? That is not recommended in the book "How to remain a coach in the nba and get to the hall of fame on a unanimous ballot". Even if the Lakers got beat the most disparaging (not giving credit) would have been "We just didn't play very well" or "We were terrible in our perimeter defense and they made their shots".

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              Has any opposing coach ever commented negatively about "their guests" especially after beating them in a regular season game? That is not recommended in the book "How to remain a coach in the nba and get to the hall of fame on a unanimous ballot". Even if the Lakers got beat the most disparaging (not giving credit) would have been "We just didn't play very well" or "We were terrible in our perimeter defense and they made their shots".
              +1. What else is he supposed to say? That they suck?

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                I think he says that about every team that manages to lose by less than 10 points
                I have been watching ""Philosophy 101" for a few years now and have not heard him say that about every team that the Lakers beat by less than 10 points.

I think he was impressed with the 50+? points in the paint that the Raptors scored vs the Lakers and particularly with the Raptors transition game, which even the biggest Raptors bashers have to admit is pretty good unless they are in denial or in a cave somewhere in Afghanistan without technology.
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

"....or in a cave somewhere in Afghanistan without technology"

A metaphorical myth ...probably propagated as an excuse for not nabbing OBL and now elevated to urban myth status (or is it suburban).

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ghancaves.html

Comment

Clipse2001 wrote: View Post
                    +1. What else is he supposed to say? That they suck?
                    Give credit where it's due. From start to finish, the Laker game was the most complete game we've played all year aside from the one win versus Cleveland. Played with a lot of heart and hustle. Just didn't play smart.

Jackson just could have said no comment on the issue.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      I have been watching ""Philosophy 101" for a few years now and have not heard him say that about every team that the Lakers beat by less than 10 points.

I think he was impressed with the 50+? points in the paint that the Raptors scored vs the Lakers and particularly with the Raptors transition game, which even the biggest Raptors bashers have to admit is pretty good unless they are in denial or in a cave somewhere in Afghanistan without technology.
                      We played pretty well, I actually think we played well during stretches in ALL our games. But it's not like Phil can tell the reporters "the Raptors are bad"

Comment

Well, I don't think that's necessarily true.. He could easily say how we're still young and we have a lot to work on, or something of the sort. We played well, why can't we just take this for what it is, a compliment.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                          We played pretty well, I actually think we played well during stretches in ALL our games. But it's not like Phil can tell the reporters "the Raptors are bad"
                          He wasn't asked the question.

He volunteered the statement.

He could have said nothing on the subject

Comment

Please, I need proof. I can't believe my ears. Maybe Phil was just being nice.

Comment

The wins aren't coming but the Raptors aren't exactly rolling over this year. They are a team that has spent 5 seasons building around one player and now that player is gone. Personally, I think this year's team is better than last merely because they play with EFFORT.

The wins may not come easy or often but there is a real re-building effort going on and they are at least staying competitive during it.

For all those who think about how bad the Raps are, would you rather be PHI, DET, CLE, MEM, MIN, LAC?

Comment

Working...
                              X