Peddie Out in next few months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Colangelo has this vision of a very offensive-oriented team. JVG goes against that notion. JVG would also want a lot more power, hence why he's still in television. Until a team comes forward and offers him a ton of autonomy, he'll stay in television.

Messina is a damn good coach - the Kings were very close to naming him as coach before they settled on Reggie Theus.
    He's very organized, he knows his X's and O's and has been named coach of the year in Europe on multiple occasions, and his teams have actually won, so one would think that that would be a good pedigree for a coach to have.

Bringing in someone that is a proven winner is a great pedigree. My struggle is that there seems to be a disconnect between different leagues in terms of coaching success. College coaches are normally college coaches and NBA coaches are NBA guys...is there a precedent set for European coaches making the transition?

Gherindini was supposed to be a brilliant basketball mind who was highly sought after when we got him…but has that been evident in the NBA so far? When Denver was hiring they completely looked past him within our organization. Perhaps we blocked potential interest from other teams…but he has not seemed to strike a big impact so far. Would it be similar bringing in an European coach?

Also, with my JVG comment from earlier, I am mostly opporating under the impression that Colangelo will not be back next year. Until I hear of a contract being signed, I think he is gone. I was simply using JVG as an example of a strong coach who is currently out of work (TV excluded).

My preference would be to move in a different direction with the GM position. So this Peddie possibility might have an interesting impact.
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
      Bringing in someone that is a proven winner is a great pedigree

The guy on left of course.

Tough, smart and has won in the NBA as a player and WNBA has a head coach.

If he can handle women professional basketball players, he can handle NBA players.

Of course if the T-Wolves continue to not win 3 - 36? in their last 39 games then he could shortly be stepping up to replace the guy on the right.
      Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Nov 10, 2010, 04:52 PM.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Laimbeer seems like a reasonable example of making the transition...and Rambis will most likely be gone soon so he could get a crack. But despite having success elsewhere, Laimbeer still stepped into an Assistant Coach role. This seems to support the idea that there is a transition faze of learning the new game.

Are there any examples of European coaches coming over (whether stepping into Assistant Coach positions or Head Coach)? I am curious as to how it would look with the differences between style.

Comment

JVG will not coach a bad team. He's been asked and turned down jobs.

And it kind of scares me how many times Laimbeer has been turned down for head coaching jobs. Maybe there's a reason...?
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Gherindini was supposed to be a brilliant basketball mind who was highly sought after when we got him…but has that been evident in the NBA so far? When Denver was hiring they completely looked past him within our organization. Perhaps we blocked potential interest from other teams…but he has not seemed to strike a big impact so far. Would it be similar bringing in an European coach?
            Great point. Maurizio was the Red Auerbach of European basketball. Proven winner. Proven builder. Impeccable track record. Success doesn't always translate across the pond, so even Messina would be a huge risk. That said, Messina is a risk that I'd be willing to take.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post

The guy on left of course.

Tough, smart and has won in the NBA as a player and WNBA has a head coach.

If he can handle women professional basketball players, he can handle NBA players.

Of course if the T-Wolves continue to not win 3 - 36? in their last 39 games then he could shortly be stepping up to replace the guy on the right.
              Dude i would take Laimbeer anyday! That would be awesome!

Furthermore, it would be amazing if he wore his plastic mask every game as well!

Comment

Bringing in someone that is a proven winner is a great pedigree. My struggle is that there seems to be a disconnect between different leagues in terms of coaching success. College coaches are normally college coaches and NBA coaches are NBA guys...is there a precedent set for European coaches making the transition?

Also, with my JVG comment from earlier, I am mostly opporating under the impression that Colangelo will not be back next year. Until I hear of a contract being signed, I think he is gone. I was simply using JVG as an example of a strong coach who is currently out of work (TV excluded).

My preference would be to move in a different direction with the GM position. So this Peddie possibility might have an interesting impact.
                As far as I am aware Maurizio was not "looked over entirely" by the Nuggets, i believe they were initially very interested in him, as were other organizations such as the Nets.

Comment

Laimbeer seems like a reasonable example of making the transition...and Rambis will most likely be gone soon so he could get a crack. But despite having success elsewhere, Laimbeer still stepped into an Assistant Coach role. This seems to support the idea that there is a transition faze of learning the new game.

Are there any examples of European coaches coming over (whether stepping into Assistant Coach positions or Head Coach)? I am curious as to how it would look with the differences between style.
                  Mike D'Antoni would be your example. He commenced his coaching career in Italy and came over to the NBA, then back to Europe, then back to the NBA with Phoenix. He coached Treviso on 2 seperate occasions.

Comment

It seems that this discussion has moved closer to the impact that Peddie potentially stepping down would have on Triano, rather then how this will impact BC. Is everyone just assuming that BC would be replaced if Peddie leaves, and therefore Triano would be let go because BC is gone? Or is the assumption that BC is safe and Triano is the one on the line?

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      Mike D'Antoni would be your example. He commenced his coaching career in Italy and came over to the NBA, then back to Europe, then back to the NBA with Phoenix. He coached Treviso on 2 seperate occasions.
                      I had forgotten about D'Antoni. Great point!

Comment

What a fun thread! Speculation galore!

Buddahfan says: about Lambeer "If he can handle women professional basketball players, he can handle NBA players."

What does that mean? Separate them from a cat-fight or punch them out?!!

That crew in Minnesota hasnt done too much so far (albeit not a very good team). This is not the time to change coaches. Got to let this year play out...hope there is improvement, have a good draft , some trades and then bring in the new coach rather than mid season.

Comment

I had forgotten about D'Antoni. Great point!
                          Is DAntoni a coach worth considering? Maybe with a set of very good players as on the Suns. Does he have a good record of taking a young team and making them good? Thats what we are faced with here and he didnt do too much last year/before with NY and the jury is out this year. Besides he is not known particularly for being too defensive minded (which is my peeve with the Raps). Much as with the players, I am yet unconvinced that a good-great anybody from the Euro League translates seamlessly to the NBA. Of course there could be exceptions but its more than Xs & Os (the league is subpar on defense for example) but the culture, practice time, coach has much power over players there, travel, schedule per week are some items which have to be acclimatized to.

Comment

Im gonna go out on a limb and say D'Antoni isn't available.

I don't think any of us can make any call if BC's job is safe or if he's getting moved up.
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

JVG is hilarious on broadcasts, love his insight. I reember last year he totally slammed Vince Carter on tv, saying if he had heart he would been a great one. All true.

Comment

there is this guy thats the head coach of the new york knicks that did a good job in euro and nba
                                i thnik he was coach of the year in 2004
                                he always seems to coach good offence but cant seem to get the defence thing figured out

Comment

Working...
                                X