Clear All

• The Solution to the Raptors Problems

starting lineups
    Weems - PG
    Derozan - SG
    Kleiza - SF
    Amir - PF
    Bargnani - C

we have so much trouble guarding PG's we shood just resort to putting weems or derozan on them, since those two are our best defenders.

Jose should see around 25 mins per game, same with Jack.

the wizards game was just weird to watch, blatche is a unorthdox player, and McGee is a freak of nature.

BC shood try to trade bargnani for mc gee but i know the wiz wont do that. anyway we have nothing to lose, all the raps shood do is give derozan and weems alot of time, and hope we get Harrison barnes next year lol.

I don't think Weems has the skills to play PG.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
      I don't think Weems has the skills to play PG.
      Yeah, agreed. He's just learning to operate the two-man game and is never going to be a point so forget about that.

Shuffling the lineup when the team is mediocre from top to bottom is not going to do anything. Evans needs to be taken out of it though, he renders pick 'n rolls pointless due because he's never going to be the PGs option for a return pass. Doesn't know what to do with the ball in his hands, he'll make a nice pass once in a while but that's it, the PF needs to be a finisher, especially if he's setting screens for PGs. Not saying Johnson is a good finisher, but he is better than Evans.

Wright for Kleiza would also give more balance to the lineup, inserting offense for defense. Kleiza gets a chance to play with second-stringers, maybe he has a better chance of doing well against them than starters (as we saw against Washington).

Comment

Yeah, a lineup with someone who can handle the ball would be better maybe... Weems can guard the point occasionally but can't run the show.

Comment

Why do I have a feeling that Kleiza may have at least been promised a good shot at a starting position on this squad?

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            Why do I have a feeling that Kleiza may have at least been promised a good shot at a starting position on this squad?
            I have that feeling too. I think it was the fact that in his interview he said that he came back because he was going to get more min and didn't have to be a bench-warmer.

Comment

PG - Mickey Mouse (either JJ/JC off bench)
              SG - Derozan
              SF - Weems
              PF - Amir (then Davis when back)
              C - Goofy. He might get more rebounds.

Right now we don't have a good option at the 1 or 5. I liked Bargnani at the beginning (although not a #1 overall pick at the time), but not a supporter as I have said before. Bench option on some teams, should be here too. I like Jack, but off the bench. I used to like Jose, but he does not always control the ball, his shooting is spotty the last year+ and his mobility/defense is a no.

We should have pushed a Bargs for Okafor this summer before Oka started kicking ass this year. I have a problem watching the games when Bargs is on the floor anymore.

Hey why not trade Jose to Minny. Kahn seems to like to have 4 or 5 hundred PGs around and is an idiot with talent, so always a chance.

On a side note we might get a chance to fill in a couple of spots in the draft coming since Miami may not have such a crap 1st rounder this year after all.

Comment

I don't think there is any "solution" to the Raptors problem except for continuing to add young, talented players and slowly build a contender. A lineup without an above average ball handler would be a disaster. EVery team would pressure and the Raptors would be turning the ball over more than they are right now. Plus, without someone to initiate the offense, the would be atrocious in the halfcourt. Being able to run an offense is not something you can simply teach a guy. Besides, Weems is not going to be able to defend the quicker PGs any better than Jack or Calderon.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Weems is not skilled enough to be a point guard and has earned his starting spot at SF, Kleiza should be coming off the bench and he plays at a different pace than Weems.

In terms of point guard, I have no cool as to who should be starting, both JJ and JC have their ups and downs depending on which way the stars are aligned on a certain night

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                    I have that feeling too. I think it was the fact that in his interview he said that he came back because he was going to get more min and didn't have to be a bench-warmer.
                    sad part is he isnt playing like a starter

Comment

moe_shuttlesworth wrote: View Post
                      starting lineups
                      Weems - PG
                      Derozan - SG
                      Kleiza - SF
                      Amir - PF
                      Bargnani - C

we have so much trouble guarding PG's we shood just resort to putting weems or derozan on them, since those two are our best defenders.

Jose should see around 25 mins per game, same with Jack.

the wizards game was just weird to watch, blatche is a unorthdox player, and McGee is a freak of nature.

BC shood try to trade bargnani for mc gee but i know the wiz wont do that. anyway we have nothing to lose, all the raps shood do is give derozan and weems alot of time, and hope we get Harrison barnes next year lol.
                      The first step in such solution is to trade Bargnani(even a 2nd rounder will do or a late first rounder - could be a bust again with Mr. Jim Kelly there, that guy has a terrible draft record) - if not we become a bad team for long a la Clippers North where no basketball player that matters wants to play. Tell me the last team that won without a good interior presence?

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                        PG - Mickey Mouse (either JJ/JC off bench)
                        SG - Derozan
                        SF - Weems
                        PF - Amir (then Davis when back)
                        C - Goofy. He might get more rebounds.

Right now we don't have a good option at the 1 or 5. I liked Bargnani at the beginning (although not a #1 overall pick at the time), but not a supporter as I have said before. Bench option on some teams, should be here too. I like Jack, but off the bench. I used to like Jose, but he does not always control the ball, his shooting is spotty the last year+ and his mobility/defense is a no.

We should have pushed a Bargs for Okafor this summer before Oka started kicking ass this year. I have a problem watching the games when Bargs is on the floor anymore.

Hey why not trade Jose to Minny. Kahn seems to like to have 4 or 5 hundred PGs around and is an idiot with talent, so always a chance.

On a side note we might get a chance to fill in a couple of spots in the draft coming since Miami may not have such a crap 1st rounder this year after all.
                        Kahn only gets fleeced by franchises that contend like the Celtics and Heat not with used car salesman BC running the show. In addition, that Miami pick is looking good(they are only on pace for 56 wins tops now at this rate - a #24-#28 pick, now we only need a pick around this range from a trade(Reggie Evans trade) for a trade-up to late teens and early 20's(#18-#22)).

Comment

"The cure" is the right GM and patience.

Comment

+1

Comment

The two biggest problems the Raptors have (among many others) are Bargnani and their point guard situation. Personally I would like to see Bargs, Jack, and Jose all traded in the next year or two. However, if this is not possible I think the Raptors need to do everything possible to get a mobile centre who can rebound, defend the rim, and offer secondary scoring from the low post. Such a player would take some presurre of Bargs on both ends of the court and help to cover up some of our point guards defensive weaknesses. Also, a stronger defensive rebounder would help initiate the fast break - which would make the best use of Weems, Derozan and Barbosa. Of course finding such centres is difficult - the only possibilities I see are Chandler and Okafor - and neither is a perfect solution. Chandler may be a possibility as Dallas just gave Haywood a new contract and has two other back-up centres. Okafor may have been a possibility last summer, but with the way the Hornets are playing I don't think they will be making any changes, especially since they don't have an alternative at centre. Portland may be willing to give one of their centres up once they are all healthy - but who would the Raptors want... Oden, Pryzbilla, or Cambie... slim pickings.

Comment

Working...
                              X