Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sports Guy on Bryan Colangelo

From his latest column:

"(Bryan) Colangelo had a choice between paying Beasley $11 million for two years (with a qualifying offer of $8.1 million in 2012-13) or signing Amir Johnson for $34 million for five years ... and chose Johnson!? Did he suffer a head injury right before the 2006 draft and not tell us? I'm dumping Kahn for Colangelo as this season's GM Whipping Boy. He didn't just ruin the Raptors these past four years; he shoved them down the stairs, beat them to death with a baseball bat and buried them in a sanitation site."

(I would add giving $18 Million to Klieza instead of taking Beasley is not exactly a stroke of genius either)

think both you and the Sports Guy are vastly overvaluing Beasley. He's a volume scorer that does little else. Amir Johnson, despite his flaws, is a much better piece on a winning team than Beasley, who would have quite a bit of trouble fitting in on a contender where he was not the leading scorer. Much like he did in Miami. Beasley is the perfect guy for a team that doesn't want to win.

And you're judging Kleiza WAY too early. I'm pretty sure he's going to be easily worth his contract in the long run.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

simmons doesnt know how good our weed is in toronto.... we'd destroy beasley here.

Comment

Wow. Them's some strong words! I don't exactly disagree either....

Comment

Bill Simmons is an idiot i have made that known many times but hes right in this instance..he missed the boat on beasley...and as much as i do like Amir Johnson Beas is better than both him and Kleiza...and coulda been had for less money and very little investment in terms of contract....

Sorry but the Kleiza signing was shitty and it will look shitty as we get into years 2 and 3 and he still plays like a 6th man...cuz dumn dum duuuuum THATS what he IS...

and the whole thing about Beas needing to play in certain cities because of his vices is just things dumbass fans say.....His issues are so overstated and corny its not even funny...

Comment

We need Amir more then we need Beastly. This team has enough offense its out D that's the prob and Beasley isn't the answer to that.

Comment

Beasley would be our best player

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
                Beasley would be our best player
                No he wouldn't. There is no way in hell he'd be getting 20+ shot attempts on the Raptors.

Comment

Yes he would...he is scoring 30 plus and making GW shots...he'd be our best most talented player and would get the ball in his hands like he does in Minny.....

Comment

So your telling me Bargs gets his 20 shots but Beasley couldnt on this team ?

lol

Comment

I love Simmons schtick but Bill loves poking sticks in our ribs for kicks (cause Raptor nation floods the net and he knows it). Beasley is Bargs with substance issues...he would crumble in a market like TO. Both Amir and Kleiza will earn their contracts and there is no fear of them going awol or going Easy Rider side to side with Delonte West.
                      Last edited by Raptoronto; Fri Nov 19, 2010, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Raptoronto wrote: View Post
                        I love Simmons schtick but Bill loves poking sticks in our ribs for kicks (cause Raptor nation floods the net and he knows it). Beasley is Bargs with substance issues...he would crumble in a market like TO. Both Amir and Kleiza will earn their contracts and there is no fear of them going awol or going Easy Rider side to side with Delonte West.
                        You buy into the espn non sense too much...

Beasley is far better than Andrea...Why would Beasley crumble in a market like TO ?
                        This isnt a hot baksetball market yet he would crumble esp on a 20 win team ?

So you make a kneejerk post to Beas crumbling even tho he is playing great so far AND in the same argument you blindly assume Kleiza will "earn" his contract even tho he's looked terrible so far ?

Terrible post

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          think both you and the Sports Guy are vastly overvaluing Beasley. He's a volume scorer that does little else. Amir Johnson, despite his flaws, is a much better piece on a winning team than Beasley, who would have quite a bit of trouble fitting in on a contender where he was not the leading scorer. Much like he did in Miami. Beasley is the perfect guy for a team that doesn't want to win.

And you're judging Kleiza WAY too early. I'm pretty sure he's going to be easily worth his contract in the long run.
                          why does kleiza get the benefit that he will improve in the long run and beasley doesnt ?

Comment

beasley is a headcase... period

ya, he would be the most talented player on the raps if they got him.

talent isnt the issue.

this city would eat him up and spit him out. the vices here are ridiculous if you have the capabilities or desire to partake... and beasley has shown that he, in fact, is a person with those desires

his situation in minny is ideal for him.. he has a franchise (and a GM) that is committed in helping his personal growth, and an enviroment without as many temptations as toronto has

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...k11picks/part1

The above is the link to the entire article.

For the time being, I am a big supporter of BC - for the time being. Essentially, he has this year and next offseason to work some magic on the trade, draft, and free agency front. I am a firm believer this team does not need anymore role players or good players off the bench. They have that. Look at what is coming back next year as of now (and hopefully 1 or both PG's will be moved). What the Raptors need now are 2 or 3 great players - hopefully one of the guys becomes a great player and add another couple some other way.

With that said, the issue I have with the article is the title: "NBA Retro Review".

IF he was talking in July about how great Beasley was going to be this season ,I'd give him some credibility. But he is basing this on hindsight and 5 games. He should not be calling out BC alone, every other GM had the opportunity to get him but they chose not to. The issues for this are well known and not needed to be addressed yet again.

Regardless of hindsight, I do not think it is fair to judge not taking Beasley until the TPE is used or, if not used, what the resulting cap space yields around draft time or next summer.

Also, Simmons is reporting the Amir deal as it was originally reported at 5/$34. It is not. The true numbers are closing to 5/$29. Also, the guy is 23 years old, shoots 62%FG, 92%FT, rebounds, and hustles. IMO he is a great big off the bench. The reality is Amir was unrestricted as well - BC did not have the luxury of matching. Despite all this, I do think he overpaid by $1M per season.

The Kleiza deal is not bad either (4/$18). In the long term, he will be a bench player as well and again, he is a great guy to have coming off the bench.

Considering the average NBA salary is $5.85M per season as of 2009/10, the real question becomes: are Kleiza and Johnson average NBA players? I think so - maybe a little better but not much.

I am VERY happy for Beasley but the reality is people could have just as easily been saying, "Kahn was stupid for taking Beasley, he should have known better." I hope they don't, but in time they still might.

Comment

Working...
                              X