No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Stojakovic & Bayless to the Raptors for Jack, Banks & Andersen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This trade actually makes sense for NO who are looking pretty good this year. ANdersen is increased depth for their bigs off the bench and JJ is a combo guard who can give Paul decent breaks. I think part of the issue with Paul's health last season may have been too many minutes. Banks, as he has been for the last 3 years, is trade filler.

Comment

It makes them better because Jack sucks, and he makes 5mil/season. I'd much rather have optional contracts than locked in contracts with guys who look miserable playing on a team that is supposed to grow. He's showing regression as a player, is not a consistent 15 and 5 guy as BC had bargained, and Bayless is young. Of course, I can't think of many terrible shooters that just all of a sudden get better, like... good enough to not make the coach cringe when they shoot; Bayless is one of those terrible shooters. Maybe he just needs more minutes. Probably going to be our 3rd stringer though -- meaning our other combo guard would be the PG off the bench.

Which position is Peja expected to play? Who is going to backup Bargs?

It's one of two of the trades that doesn't look to make much sense to me (although I know they are essentially one deal).
      It's about money

Comment

philwill wrote: View Post
        It makes them better because Jack sucks, and he makes 5mil/season. I'd much rather have optional contracts than locked in contracts with guys who look miserable playing on a team that is supposed to grow. He's showing regression as a player, is not a consistent 15 and 5 guy as BC had bargained, and Bayless is young. Of course, I can't think of many terrible shooters that just all of a sudden get better, like... good enough to not make the coach cringe when they shoot; Bayless is one of those terrible shooters. Maybe he just needs more minutes. Probably going to be our 3rd stringer though -- meaning our other combo guard would be the PG off the bench.

Which position is Peja expected to play? Who is going to backup Bargs?

It's one of two of the trades that doesn't look to make much sense to me (although I know they are essentially one deal).
        Peja won't play. He is a trade chip or an expensive 69 games way to get rid of JJ's contract.

Toronto gets a more flexibility going forward and more minutes for Davis, Dorsey, and Alabi.

It could also signal Dampier is on the way.

Bayless very well could be the third stringer if you consider Barbosa the back up PG. Barbosa could be gone for the season at anytime though.

*EDIT* Something else to think about regarding Barbosa. His contract has a player option next year for $7.6M. If the NBA and players do not come to an agreement, and a lockout is likely, he may opt out. The reason would be because players cannot play elsewhere if they are under contract. If there is a lock out he would get nothing. If there is a lockout and he opted out, he could go play in Europe. Once the lock out ends, the Raps could sign him to a more reasonable yearly salary. I like Barbosa and think he is a great player off the bench.
        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Nov 20, 2010, 12:53 PM.

Comment

you have to think about what's going to happen next summer. 14.5 million off the books and then there's room to give Sonny a pay raise. Plus we get even closer to that #1 pick that everyone is talking about!

Seems like it opens up our roatations a bit too. We'll have a set starting point guard who everyone is vying for. Move over to one of the stories and people are trashing jack. now that he is moving everyone wants to keep him. weird eh?

Comment

Great Move. The Raptors aren't going to make the playoffs this year, so with a 14m expiring contract and a good lottery pick, we are moving in the right direction! Let's just hope BC doesn't resign Peja for 16 million. Plus, Jarrett Jack, even though he plays with a lot of heart and is apparently a team leader, will always be a back up point guard. He turns the ball over too much and can't run an offense.

I don't care too much for Peja, as long as he can hit some threes for us in the fourth quarter, it'll be a more exciting season.

Go Raps Go.

Comment

Do any of you seriously expect BC to get any good players even if cap was free'd up? Even the very act of constantly adding new players is significantly hampering the raptors ability to perform as a team. And yet he's still willing to dump 2 players who are putting so much effort into this team, and are clearly better players than what we're getting.

Its just ridiculous. Someone get rid of this man, please to god.

Comment

Yeah exactly, we got lots of room to resign Sonny now. We get more time for Dorsey and Davis (that is if we don't sign Damps, please no please no) and we get younger and more athletic with Bayless. Jack has been playing like crap lately and i think Bayless has actually been passing the ball a little more this year. Correct me if i'm wrong though.
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

The funniest thing is that about this deal is this the second time Bayless and Jack have been in a trade for one another.

Indiana Pacers traded Ike Diogu and the rights to Jerry Bayless to the Portland Trail Blazers for Jarrett Jack, Josh McRoberts and the rights to Brandon Rush.

Comment

Funny how things change so quickly. It I rememeber correctly it was Jose who was a MJ signature away from being traded to Charlotte, and Jack was being praised for his dedication and leadership towards making the Young Onez better. Ultimatly though I think management has grown a bit tierd of Jack's shoot first mentality. A true point guard worries about making other players better first (ex rajon rondo, steve nash). I think the Raptors beleive Jose is the right player to lead the young onez into the future. He has great chemistry with Amir, and I think the players feel more confident with Jose on the floor.

I think Jack has potential to be very good for New Orleans, playing behind CP3 he'll be more relaxed and have less pressure. He'll be asked to distribute more as New Orleans have enough scorers aka marco belenelli

Also it will now be interesting to see if Jose can handle added responsibilities and more minutes, if not this move can really backfire

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
                      Do any of you seriously expect BC to get any good players even if cap was free'd up? Even the very act of constantly adding new players is significantly hampering the raptors ability to perform as a team. And yet he's still willing to dump 2 players who are putting so much effort into this team, and are clearly better players than what we're getting.

Its just ridiculous. Someone get rid of this man, please to god.
                      BC may or may not get good players with more cap space but with no cap space there is no chance.

Andersen is 30. If the Raps are going to suck, might as well give the minutes to Alabi, Dorsey, or Davis.

The last 2 seasons, your claim of new players is justified. Now with the cornerstone gone (CB) there is a new direction. The foundation of this team is set.

February trade deadline, June draft, and summer free agency are a long ways away. Before he is rid of, I'd personally like to see what he does.

Comment

DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
                        If colangelo pulls of the peja trade could it lead to some bigger trade maybe melo?

Colangelo and the Nuggests GM are good freinds maybe he can work his charm

I Know the nuggets GM is big on Alabi. Maybe Bayless Alabi Evans Stojakovich Miami's first rounder for Melo + filler??
                        Works for both teams Denver gets cap room plus a few good young players (better than loosing melo for nothing)

Toronto gets Carmelo even if its just for a year were not really loosing much for the expereiment, and plus you never know if they play well he might resign. After all Toronto is New York JR.

Also if we trade Bayless, Barbosa may become our backup point guard.

what u guys think?
                        great trade... let's trade a 1st round pick for half a season of melo who will have one foot out the door before he even gets here...brilliant trade idea !!

Comment

LOOOVEE THIS DEAL
                          bayless had a lot of potential and we shed come contract
                          love it love it love it
                          http://www.twitter.com/YateeshKevin23

Comment

YKR23 wrote: View Post
                            LOOOVEE THIS DEAL
                            bayless had a lot of potential and we shed come contract
                            love it love it love it
                            Potential?! his FG % is very low and also his assists ratio. You don't trade a guy twice in 3 years if he has lot of potential.

I am not impressed with this trade, the Raptors are much worse as a result.

Comment

I hope bayless could get his game going here since hes probably gonna be getting aloottta floor time...Applaud Colangelo, the guy does have some balls and hes willing to take risks

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                                I am not impressed with this trade, the Raptors are much worse as a result.
                                Near term I would agree.

Long term I do not.

The Raptors gain a lot of flexibility for themselves but also as a facilitator. They now have $23M in expiring contracts and a $14.5M TPE to help trades go through for other teams. There is a charge for this facilitation, of course, namely draft picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X