OFFICIAL: Stojakovic & Bayless to the Raptors for Jack, Banks & Andersen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFICIAL: Stojakovic & Bayless to the Raptors for Jack, Banks & Andersen

There's a rumor that the Raps are going to acquire Stojakovic and Bayless in exchange for Jack, Banks, and Andersen.

See http://www.basketusa.com/news/49717/...e-aux-raptors/

That would be a pretty good trade from Toronto's perspective. Peja's contract expires at the end of this year, and Bayless has tons of potential.

First reaction: As long as there are no draft picks going to NOH!

*EDIT*

Second reaction: No way. Bayless can't be traded until December 23 with any other players unless they break this up in to 2 trades.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Nov 20, 2010, 09:43 AM.

Comment

This would be a wonderful trade if it is true....

I used to watch Bayless in hs because his school was practically next door to my house, and I've always rooted for him and have tried to keep tabs on his career. I do believe in the right system he could become a reliable pg and a very good scorer.

Comment

I'm not sure about this trade the more I think about it.

NOH just gave up a top 8 protected 1st round draft pick for Bayless.
        Bayless can't be traded until December 23 with another player.
        Doing 2 trades (bayless for Andersen and Peja for Jack/Banks) does not work unless the Raptors use TPE (all of it) on Peja.
        Using TPE all on Peja is a waste.

This trade would work:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2eygzdt

NOH: saves $4M and gets under the luxury tax. They also have 14 roster spots right now so a 2 for 3 trade would work. Thorton just sat for 5 straight games and here are some quotes from NOH coach:

Nov 18 G Marcus Thornton has been inactive for three straight games. Head coach Monty Williams made no secret as to the why of it. Thornton's defense isn't good enough to suit Williams. "I don't have a doghouse," Williams said. "I don't even play that. I've explained to him on a number of occasions why he's not playing."

Nov 16 Coach Monty Williams says he doesn't expect Thornton to play anytime soon, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports.
        Recommendation: "Not in my estimation," Williams said when asked whether Thornton will play again soon. "He's got to do some things defensively to earn minutes. That's just the way we're going to play it." Thornton is already dealing with a thigh bruise, but his defensive deficiencies seem to be the main culprit for his lack of playing time. In shallower leagues, it's probably time to cut him loose if you haven't done so already.

TOR: as long as the TPE is not used, they'd have a $14.5 TPE and a $14.3M expiring contract in addition to $5M in Evans and $2.8M in Wright.
        Thornton shows a lot of promise - especially offensively.
        If the TPE expired and Peja's contract was not moved, then the Raps would have enough money to offer a max deal next summer (not saying that would be the wise thing to do).
        Moving Andersen would open up plenty more minutes for Ed Davis.

Comment

The trade is essentially expirings for expirings, and then Jack for Bayless... no thanks. Bayless was traded away by the Blazers because he's too much of a combo guard and not much of a point.

Despite Jack's slow start this season, he's able to play the point much better than Bayless. And when you have a team where no one can create for themselves except for Barbosa... well then you need someone who can play the point!

Comment

Another guy who wants the ball, but does not want to play defence?

No, thanks. Guys with potential are all great, but they do not have any if there are too many of them and they do not see the court. We have Derozen, Weems, who need minutes. Do not forget that our best guard is Barbosa, who I think it would be best to have get healthy for next year.

If we project him as the point of the future, I am good. The Blazers have a 2 guard without a miniscus, and they didn't keep this guy around or find a role for him. I'm worried that there is an attitude problem that I do not want to mix with our young guns.

Jack is easily moved. If Bayless's character checks out, it might be worth thinking about, but Peja is a waste. If he could be flipped for something better, then I'm good. Right now, Jack is an important part of the emotional make up of this team. What effect would moving him have? This is a lot of movement for a guy who will be benched for his weak defence.

Comment

EaseMyPain wrote: View Post
              No, thanks. Guys with potential are all great, but they do not have any if there are too many of them and they do not see the court. We have Derozen, Weems, who need minutes. Do not forget that our best guard is Barbosa, who I think it would be best to have get healthy for next year.

If we project him as the point of the future, I am good. The Blazers have a 2 guard without a miniscus, and they didn't keep this guy around or find a role for him. I'm worried that there is an attitude problem that I do not want to mix with our young guns.

Jack is easily moved. If Bayless's character checks out, it might be worth thinking about, but Peja is a waste. If he could be flipped for something better, then I'm good. Right now, Jack is an important part of the emotional make up of this team. What effect would moving him have? This is a lot of movement for a guy who will be benched for his weak defence.
              That is sort of my point regarding Peja's contrct. $14.3M pus the 14.5M TPE makes for a lot of flexibility. Even if it does not pan out, you've taken $5M off the books next year with JJ and would have enough cap space (as of the current CBA) to make a run at a good free agent such as Marc Gasol.

The way Jack is playing NOW, I would trade him. He seems to be 1 on 5 out there. He can definitely play better. Hopefully he turns it around soon.

Comment

The story appears to be getting some legs as it is no longer just a rumour in french.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5828835

I feel pretty stupid right now.

2 separate trades:
                1) Banks, ANdersen, JJ for Peja
                2) Bayless for $2.2M of TPE
                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Nov 20, 2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

As I read it, thy can trade Banks, Anderson and Jack for Peja and use only part of the TPE for Bayless. Sounds better that way.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5828835

The story is on ESPN as well, they don't mention the Dec 23 date as a hangup. I believe that date is for players that signed with new teams as FA's, not players that were traded.

I'm not sure I like this deal. Jarrett seems like the big brother to YG'z, his departure at this point looks like it would leave a big hole in the team leader department. I'd rather keep Jarrett and flip Jose and whatever for a true number 1 PG if that's what BC is looking for.

I couldn't care less about Peja at this point and I'm not sold on Bayless, though his potential is intriguing. But now that the rumour is leaked the trade will probably fall apart a la the Bobcats deal and Barnes deal!

Comment

Are they trying to shed Jack's deal? Not sure how it makes them better...

Comment

done and done

peja comes off the books next year and with the TPE we don't go into the luxury with him here plus it opens up a roster spot for damiper. Even tho I have no clue if this kid can pass the ball he is athletic enough to play with this team once he learns the defensive and offensive system he should be ok.

even if peja comes I hate his game and wouldn't play him unless we need some 3's his defense is terrible

Comment

Is this a part of a bigger deal? Shedding Jack seems ok at this point, leader of YGZ or whatnot. He's a turnover magnet and his shots ain't falling down. NO is trading for another tough PG to complement Paul. Indiana has missed his leadership as well. As much as his leadership is lauded, his poor play of late in inexplicable. He's been given the captaincy as well as the starting role yet he's selfish at times. The only reason the Raps should go for this is:

1. Bayless is young and has potential.
                          2. Peja's expiring gives us a HUGE boost in flexibility as far as finances are concerned. It does create a logjam at SF unless Kleiza moves to PF on the second unit with Ed Davis roaming the middle (of the bench of course). OR, Peja moves to the SG position while Kleiza is a SF, Davis at PF with another center in the mix (Dampier, yikes).

This is no longer a rumour folks, it kinda sounds like it has legs.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Raptors are just about to get even more international too with Peja.

Well, actually maybe not because we're losing Andersen. Either way, could care less about Peja (like the expiring contract though) but I am intrigued with the possibilities of Bayless.

Comment

Could something else be brewing?

If colangelo pulls of the peja trade could it lead to some bigger trade maybe melo?

Colangelo and the Nuggests GM are good freinds maybe he can work his charm

I Know the nuggets GM is big on Alabi. Maybe Bayless Alabi Evans Stojakovich Miami's first rounder for Melo + filler??

Works for both teams Denver gets cap room plus a few good young players (better than loosing melo for nothing)

Toronto gets Carmelo even if its just for a year were not really loosing much for the expereiment, and plus you never know if they play well he might resign. After all Toronto is New York JR.

Also if we trade Bayless, Barbosa may become our backup point guard.

what u guys think?

Comment

Working...
                              X