Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are The Chances in Retaining Amir After This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are The Chances in Retaining Amir After This Season?

Listening to the telecasts over the last couple weeks since Amir has emerged, do the Raptors stand a good chance in re-signing him next summer? I mean, I keep hearing Devlin, Leo and Jack talk about how Amir has expressed to his teammates and Colangelo that he wants to be a fixture in someone's starting line-up in the near future.

How exactly does he fit into our plans long term and because if his age and raw talent, can we afford to re-sign him next summer?

BTW, for a good read go check out Ryan McNeill latest article over at SLAM Online.

Source - Click here

You can bank on BC overpaying him and the fans being upset with his productivity next year because they'll be expecting starter production based on his salary, not his talents.

Comment

I don't expect Amir to stay. I don't think he's in the plans.

I reckon Amir Johnson is one of those replaceable players in the Raptors big picture. That if he's willing to sign a low priced contract they'll keep him around for another year or two but if there's competition for his signature, and/or the money gets too high (above $3mil would be my early estimate), then Colangelo will say goodbye and sign a different player. That Amir is considered a low level rotation player (8th-to-11th man) who can replaced easily enough through free agency. That Colangelo will only be interested if he gets a bargain on the contract.
      nbaroundtable

Comment

If they let him go, I will be OUTRAGED.

Comment

I like everything about Amir. His potential is large. He provides in many areas that the Raptors are currently weak in. It would be wise to hang on to him. Amir will only draw a contract that the market dictates. Some people around the league are suggesting that after the major stars are signed coin purses will begin the close very quickly...

Comment

After this year, lots of teams will be after him. Hopefully we can retain him but we better not offer too much money. IMO he'll come back because we actually gave him those minutes and he knows his role here
            Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

I hope the Raptors make an effort to keep him. He is young, his rebounding rates are good, he is an average-to-good defender and adequate offensive threat (pick and rolls and transitions). I think the stats he generates this year will not show his true value (which I think is a bit higher) because he is coming off the bench. I would probably go up to 3-4 million over 2 years and a team option for the third. Anything higher and I agree with you guys, we could find a suitable replacement through free agency/draft.

Comment

I think we have a decent chance. The Raps can, and should, hold on to him, what with Rasho and POB's contracts coming up. They should be able to get him for Hump level money (9-11 mil over 3 years) and should hopefully be able to afford it. If I'm CB4, I bankroll Amir's salary as thanks for all the wear and tear that he will save Bosh over the next few years.

Comment

It all depends on if Chris Bosh gets Traded or not. If Bosh Goes then resign him, if he doesnt then let him go because if he plays like this consistantly for the rest of the year he will defenitely want a raise.

Personally i like the way he plays, under the basket and hustles for every ball kind of like Oak used to play. Except he doesnt have that mean streak Oak had.
                  "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

Amir will stay if the Raps want him.
                    He's an effective back-up, like Hump. Why wouldn't they extend him for 3 more years for $10m (like Hump).

Unless of course they can use him in a trade to acquire someone better.
                    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

@gurk: Amir is only averaging 3 mins more per game here than his career average. His role has been the same here as Detroit; energy + rebounds + shotblocking.
                      @dino gunners: Amir currently earns 4 million per year and probably wants a raise.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                        You can bank on BC overpaying him and the fans being upset with his productivity next year because they'll be expecting starter production based on his salary, not his talents.
                        I'm from the future, and you hit the nail on the head!

Comment

i expect him to be sent packing. he only has a place on our bench as first big man off the bench. if he were to make the same money he is making now he could possibly stay if not it would be too much money for a bench/energy guy that you can sign elsewhere.

does seem pretty fast to be talking about amirs contract status to me though. seems like we just signed him to that 5 year deal last summer.

Comment

Miek, Tesla was responding to a 2009 thread.
                            One thing in the Ed or Amir debate is that Amir really likes it here and talks it up all the time. For all the potential of Ed, we don't know the same.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                              Miek, Tesla was responding to a 2009 thread.
                              One thing in the Ed or Amir debate is that Amir really likes it here and talks it up all the time. For all the potential of Ed, we don't know the same.
                              oh, thanks. hahaha i just saw the dates. tesla you must have had to go through the whole site to find that thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X