No announcement yet.

Rogers in $1.3B Talks to Buy MLSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankie Flowers on BT this morning said the teachers came out and said they are not selling.

not sure i trust that though... he f's up the weather forecast on a pretty regular basis.

Comment

I know it is not possible, but anyone else think it would be awesome if Balsille owned this team? He would be the Cuban of Canada.

Comment

Beaverboi wrote: View Post
        I know it is not possible, but anyone else think it would be awesome if Balsille owned this team? He would be the Cuban of Canada.
        YES. it was a downer when the NHL turned him down. owners who give a shit are few and far between

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
          Frankie Flowers on BT this morning said the teachers came out and said they are not selling.

not sure i trust that though... he f's up the weather forecast on a pretty regular basis.
          ya.. peddie also said a couple weeks back he wasnt stepping down from MLSE. LOL

were theres smoke theres FIRE.. the story yesterday is prob. all part of the feeling out process....& also i heard the OTPF are trying to create a bidding war...

Comment

Beaverboi wrote: View Post
            it would be great as long as he doesnt try to relocate everything to Hamilton..

Comment

Introcollapse wrote: View Post
              Not entirely true. Pretty sure if Rogers held a shareholder's meeting and said, "Look, we know you want money. So do we. However, we think it's best to invest in this franchise for a few years and see what returns we get. No harm in trying. Could pay off big time."
              There is a big difference between buying a business to run it how it's been run and proven to work and buying a business and running if differently than it's been run when they know this difference will lead to net losses. I don't follow you on this point, sorry. Of course Rogers sees an opportunity here to make money but what makes you think that opportunity involves spending huge sums of money to put the Raptors in competition with the elite teams? Luxury tax is a huge penalty. Again, why would they spend past the tax threshold and take a loss? It runs counter to everything a for profit Corporation is about.
              Last edited by Apollo; Thu Dec 2, 2010, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Heinz, you made me shoot beer out my nose. F'n Frankie Flowers! Crapping myself laughing. I saw him once outside the old studio on queen street. Dude is like suckling height. He literally comes up to my nipple and I'm average.
                Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Oh, and may Rogers rot in an eternity of hellfire and being placed on hold.
                  Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Apollo, I don't disagree with you, but at the same time, a successful franchise is a profitable franchise. One round of the playoffs nets them an extra $5mil or something. Can only imagine what a decent run would bring in. Success pays. And if a Pension Plan was willing to spend over the cap, as BC stated, then why wouldn't Rogers at least consider it, when ALL of the successful, elite, teams in the league are over the cap, and still making HUGE profits.

Comment

Working...
                    X