Can Dorsey help fill in for Evans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Dorsey help fill in for Evans?

I was doing some looking at Hoopdata today and noticed that while Reggie Evans is still leading the league in Rebound Rate with 26.6%, Joey Dorsey is actually second in the league with a Rebound Rate of 26.3%. Dorsey is just as limited offensively as Evans and fouls at a ridiculous rate but seems like he could be a servicable fill-in while Evans is out.

Obviously it would be good for their development for the Raptors to get Amir Johnson and Ed Davis some extra minutes, but Dorsey has been averaging 13.3 rebounds per 36 minutes in about 19 minutes per game since Evans went down. They pounded Washington on the glass last night, but if the Raptors' rebounding really drops off they might help themselves stay competitive by giving some extra minutes to Dorsey.

I did a little write-up at my site Hickory-High:
    On the Rebound
    I haven't seen Dorsey play at all this year, or a ton of the Raptors, but I'd love to hear thoughts on his potential to step in for Evans in a similar role. Thanks!
    Hickory-High

Levy2725 wrote: View Post
    I was doing some looking at Hoopdata today and noticed that while Reggie Evans is still leading the league in Rebound Rate with 26.6%, Joey Dorsey is actually second in the league with a Rebound Rate of 26.3%. Dorsey is just as limited offensively as Evans and fouls at a ridiculous rate but seems like he could be a servicable fill-in while Evans is out.

Obviously it would be good for their development for the Raptors to get Amir Johnson and Ed Davis some extra minutes, but Dorsey has been averaging 13.3 rebounds per 36 minutes in about 19 minutes per game since Evans went down. They pounded Washington on the glass last night, but if the Raptors' rebounding really drops off they might help themselves stay competitive by giving some extra minutes to Dorsey.

I did a little write-up at my site Hickory-High:
    On the Rebound
    I haven't seen Dorsey play at all this year, or a ton of the Raptors, but I'd love to hear thoughts on his potential to step in for Evans in a similar role. Thanks!
    I 100% disagree.

When Reggie does anything with the ball besides kick it out after an offensive board it usually becomes a turnover or steal for other team. Also Evans is not explosive and can't dunk in traffic or off 2 feet if given a dump off.

Dorsey is far from a gem offensively but he can convert put backs, he can rip the rim off at any given time, and you can be sure no one will strip him.

On the defensive side, he is larger than Evans and does use his size and he can block shots.

Where Evans has an advantage over Dorsey and everyone else in the league is his effort (and that is not knocking Dorsey). No one in the league hustles more than Reggie nor looks as crazy while doing it.

I'm probably very biased though as I think very highly of Dorsey in his role this year (4th big off the bench).

Comment

Your right that my comparison of his offensive skills to Evans' was an exaggeration. Dorsey is a great finisher at the rim, 72.7% compared to only 41.9% for Evans. I guess what I was trying to illustrate was that he doesn't do anything besides finish opportunities others create for him at the rim. But you are right he is way more effective in that regard than Evans.

He is a reasonably solid defender as well. He has a very good individual defensive rating of 100, albeit in a limited number of minutes. I would be concerned about his foul rate especially sharing time with Johnson.

I'm glad to hear that there is some appreciation for Dorsey in Toronto. I have a penchant for players who contribute mostly with rebounding and physical defense as that's about all I can contribute on a basketball court. On paper it seems like he could step right in and provide nearly everything the Raptors were getting from Evans maybe with a little more offensive efficiency. Do you think he will get the chance? With Davis back and the opportunity to play Amir Johnson more it seems like that would be in Toronto's long-term interests to keep them on the floor as much as possible. Evans was playing about 27 minutes a game before he went down. Dorsey has played about 19 since then. Do you think he will continue at that level or will his minutes decrease and then be dictated by the situation?
      Hickory-High

Comment

I don't know what will happen, obviously, but I can give you my opinions.

I would like to see Bargnani, Johnson, Davis, Dorsey be the main bigs for Toronto with Kleiza able to play some 4 if they go small. Alabi will continue to be a very cheap project. They would need to add another big IMO who may or may not go ahead of Dorsey on the depth chart. As great of a guy (minus the d*ck punch on Kaman) and hustler Reggie appears to be, I can't see him with the Raptors moving forward past this season and possibly even at the trade deadline.

I am really excited about Davis long term. It would appear everything the Raptors need from an inside player perspective Davis possesses. The only issue of course is that it was only one game but that works both positive and negative. Negative is obvious but positive is he's only played SummerLeague, a bit of pick up, 2 D league games, and 1 NBA game since last February. IMO he can only get better.

Back to Dorsey though, if the Raps need a 4th/5th big off the bench I can think of no one within reason I would rather have.

Comment

There are very few single skilled players other than scorers who can play any serious NBA minutes on a good team.

Most of those that do are excellent defenders something that Dorsey and Evans are not.

I think Dorsey should be the fourth or fifth big behind.

Bagnani
          Davis
          Johnson
          Kleiza - I would rather use him at PF than Dorsey
          Dorsey
          Evans

Dorsey is not as young as one would imagine. He will be 27 in about two weeks.

He has very little NBA experience for someone of his age.

I am glad he is on the team, but to me he should be an emergency or garbage time player only.

I hope I am wrong and he becomes more, however I wouldn't hold my breath given what he has accomplished to far in the NBA and his age.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Bargnani is having a great rebounding night. Maybe he has turned a corner, then what is Reggie to us?

Comment

Working...
            X