No More PG Controversies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More PG Controversies!

Hi everyone, this is my first time starting a thread.

Here's the article from the bleacher report....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...rd-controversy

I HIGHLY disagree with wanting to start Bayless over Calderon, this is not a lost season and Bayless still hasn't developed to being that much better than Calderon. Calderon is still a better true PG, he's a better distributer than Bayless.

Also, although Bayless scored the most and had some key plays near the end of the 4th, it was Barbosa who got us back into the game, but I don't think he should start either.

I know no one else has really said anything about this, but we've had this stupid "Who starts at PG?" controversy since 2006, and it's ridiculous and poisonous to the whole team and organization.

When Jose comes back, lets just give him the starting job back right away REGARDLESS of how he may perform, and someone on the coaching staff should just remind Bayless that he's here to develop and learn off the bench.

What do you guys think?

Calderon is fine starting. This team has bigger problems than offense. Their defense is becoming worse than last year. Jay needs to change the line-up to those willing to hold opponents down. Playing catch-up is not this team's forte (unlike Utah).
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I couldn't agree more. Calderon is still the starter, despite Bayless playing quite well down the stretch in some games. Jose is finally starting to turn the corner this season, he's got his shooting touch back, and the last thing we need is premature "start Bayless" sentiments. Bayless needs to learn some humility, so he should remain on the bench and be allowed to mature slowly like a fine Tennessee whisky, and as soon as Calderon's effectiveness starts to drop off, we will have our next starting point guard in Bayless.

Comment

Bayless is doing GREAT ... but please ... no more controversies .... Calderon is the starter and Bayless is the backup ... Period!

For now anyways

He also showed he is capable of playing the off guard in certain situations ... so he can get some mins there as well ...

Comment

Oh ya ... and some of the Bleacher Report articles make me sick to my stomach at times ...

Comment

While Jose is here, he is the starter. There's a lot to be learned from the bench as well, Bayless will get his chance to start but just like Jose his first couple years, he's better suited to learning the position gradually.

Comment

That aside, Calderon also needs to start so he can build some trade value

Comment

Hmm the xontroversy haunts this team but all because of Jose's contract. He's basically a good backup PG earning a startes salary. We cant really go get a quality starting PG and afford to pay both of them, so we keep getting fringe type PGs who are on the cusp of being a starter. Anytime you have no clearcut starter, one will outplay the other occasionally and thereby start continous controversies about who will start. Yes Jose is better now, but this year is strictly about development and maybe Bayless should be thrown in the deep end. Its a double-edged sword scenario. Are we gunnig for the 8th spot? Or are we gunning for development and a high draft pick? The only way to stop it is either draft Kyrie Irving, or get rid of Jose and make a play at a major free-agent point. Unless one of these things happen, the controversy will live on!

Comment

Last time we tried to bring a guy along slowly and learn from a better and more experienced player, he bounced on us. You guys may remember the McGrady - Carter situation. Do we think its best to gradually learn from a mentor, or just get thrown in like DeMar? Any examples of either case working out best?

Comment

Calderon is the better pg. Bayless is still learning. Not much to discuss.

Comment

I like to think we're gunning for the playoffs, we're not as bad as teams like phili or the clippers and we've got a group of players that need to develop together now. Jose only has what, 2 years left on his contract? let him play it out as a starter, decreasing his minutes if necessary, and then after that either we somehow get a quality pg through trade/free agency or Bayless becomes our starter.

Besides, say we were to tank now and end up with Irving, we end up with a back-up being paid starters salary, and two other pg's sitting on the bench fighting for the future starting spot? I don't like the idea of that, we just gave Bayless an opportunity to finally prove himself and so far he seems like he'll be able to develop. I say we stop shuffling the deck and just deal with what we have for now.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                        While Jose is here, he is the starter. There's a lot to be learned from the bench as well, Bayless will get his chance to start but just like Jose his first couple years, he's better suited to learning the position gradually.
                        I think you're right. Why force feed Bayless when there is no need?

Comment

I don't know if people realize this, but ever since T.J. ford left, and Jose was declared our PG of the future, we have failed to make the playoffs and have the most difficult time trying to contain opposing team's PGs. Jose is a great back up point guard. Bayless is a pure baller, who can drive and kick and create his own shot! He should be our starter as of yesterday, and let him build a chemistry with the Young Onez. The more we delay this inevitability, the more time we waste going back and forth with these threads on who should be the starting point guard! Who cares if Jose makes more money, it doesn't entitle him to the starting position. Peja stojakovic makes the most on the team, it doesn't mean he should be our starter! (Although, I would like to see him play more minutes cause he is a 3pt stud)

Comment

I am so unbelievably sick of arguments over who should be the starting point guard. It's Jose until it's not anymore. I don't care. No one cares. Shut up. Seriously.

Just my 2 cents of enough already.

Comment

Working...
                            X