Weems is Playing Himself Off This Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    The problem isn't that he's doing it, the problem is when and how much he's doing it. He doesn't have very good court vision and sometimes tries to do too much. Which is what's happening to Weems.

IMO you guys are jumping the ship rather quick. He played amazing for a bunch of games then went of a slide. I'd wait till the season is over before take shots at his, especially give in his lack of experience.
    Since Bayless has been with the Raptors he has played 11 games.

With the Raptors he is averaging 23 MPG and 4.5 APG

Baron Davis is the only player in the league who is averaging 25 or fewer MPG and more APG than Bayless.

I could only imagine how many APG he would get if he had "court vision"
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

IMO you guys are jumping the ship rather quick. He played amazing for a bunch of games then went of a slide. I'd wait till the season is over before take shots at his, especially give in his lack of experience.
      Well I don't know about the rest of the fans, but at best I thought Weems was bench player who could give you a decent 10 to 15 minutes of energy per game. And that was last season. Not basing my opinion on this year.

Comment

The problem isn't that he's doing it, the problem is when and how much he's doing it. He doesn't have very good court vision and sometimes tries to do too much.
        I would tend to agree with the bolded sections. I think this has more to do with being on his third team in 2 months, being thrust in to the starters role with Jose out, and deferring to his natural instincts in an unfamiliar role and setting. It would have been nice to have him around for training camp and pre-season.

Bayless - despite the last 5 minutes tonight - is growing on me. I was expecting good things coming in but he has really surprised me. I'm still not sold on him being the PG of the future for the Raps but now I can at least entertain the possibility.

Comment

I agree with you, Weems thinks hes in the same class as the kobe bryant's and tries to create shots himself totally out of sync with the raptors offence. He's not a starter on any team in this league. Hes a bench player who should play 15 mins a game at most. I hope if he does resign with the raptors its no more than above the league minimum as thats all he deserves.

Comment

People are expecting way too much from him too soon.

Overall in the 11 games that has played for the Raptors he doing a good job.

He will continue to get better over the next five seasons.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I don't expect too much from him, I expect triano to play him for 15 mins a game, as thats all a weems calibur player deserve. Thats what I expect. I like other fans just hate to see certain plays cost us so many games this year. I just don't want weems to jack up the shots he does as if he's the main banana on the team. If your gonna take a 3, why not let a player who makes it more often like andrea or bayless take it, rather than weems who jacks them up and brick it every time and hits one on a weekly basis rather than game to game.

Comment

Weems is an over achiever who has been hyped to death with this whole young bums marketing scheme...i personally think having weems play 15min is 13min too long.. DD is enough for me... i really dont see the use for weems with DD around...1 slashing SG with no range is all we need in our starting line up thank you!!!..

Bayless has been a bright spot for us soo i dont see why bashing him does any good... hes bound to make a few mistakes with soo much time with the ball, his dribble drive opens alot up on offense for others & 9ast is good in my books.. he prob gets 14asts if more shots are made... that turn over in the 4th wasnt totally his fault either... Bargs spotted up at the 3pt line & screened his own player!...forcing Bayless to crash into his back...

Bargs is just a waste... even when he scores he gives up to much on defence... Nazi & Kwame both abussed bargs & thats just a down right embarressment....
                Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Dec 15, 2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Heh. How strange.

I'm looking at some advanced stats on Sonny and DeMar...their fg% from different areas on the floor are eerily similar. Sonny's better, but by less than 3% in all but one: Within 10 feet, where DeMar is heads and shoulders better.

Weird, isn't it? How one is said to have absolutely no jumper, but the other has a fantastic one.

Sarcasm over.
                  Joshua Priemski
                  NBA blogger
                  SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                  www.RufusOnFire.com/
                  www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

thomas1 wrote: View Post
                    Just a few things on Weems;

1. I'm indifferent to him, stay or leave it doesn't make a difference to me.
                    2. This guy is a Shooting Guard he is not a Small Forward. He does not have the size strength or skill to match up against SFs in this league. However, it is no surprise that we (The Raptors) continue to shoe horn people into something they aren't.
                    3. Weems has better handles and shooting range than our Shooting Guard DD (who can't shoot period). As I said I'm indifferent to trading him but would love to see how he performs if he was played his "natural position".
                    +1

Comment

I think that Bayless is doing a fantastic job filling in for Calderon. He got a little careless with the ball in the last 5 min. of the game last night but overall played a great game keeping his team in the game by feeding them the ball.I think in the long run Bayless is going to be a very good PG; he just needs the min. and with that experience! I really think they should continue starting him even when Calderon is ready to come back. Bring Calderon off the bench. Lets face it Calderon will be traded and Bayless will be our starting PG maybe even this year at trade deadline! As far as Weems I think he just tries to do too much and messes up with turn overs and ill advised shots. He is young he is going to make mistakes. He really is not a starter on any NBA team but he was forced into it when Linas turned out to be a dud. Lets face it when you are desperate on a team thats has nothing to show for it you start anybody you think can do the job that being Weems!! Take a look at Cleveland ; Joey Graham was a starter for them for a while not sure if he still is but give me a break Joey Graham!! If he can be a starter then Weems could be as well. The point is don`t give up on Sony and especially not Bayless if Sony would only settle down and just go to the hoop and not settle for so many jump shots he would be what the raptors need. Look at Bargs last night he was lost out there and he wouldn`t go to the hoop which would then set up his long 3`s.

Comment

badbob wrote: View Post
                        I think that Bayless is doing a fantastic job filling in for Calderon. He got a little careless with the ball in the last 5 min. of the game last night but overall played a great game keeping his team in the game by feeding them the ball.I think in the long run Bayless is going to be a very good PG; he just needs the min. and with that experience! I really think they should continue starting him even when Calderon is ready to come back. Bring Calderon off the bench. Lets face it Calderon will be traded and Bayless will be our starting PG maybe even this year at trade deadline! As far as Weems I think he just tries to do too much and messes up with turn overs and ill advised shots. He is young he is going to make mistakes. He really is not a starter on any NBA team but he was forced into it when Linas turned out to be a dud. Lets face it when you are desperate on a team thats has nothing to show for it you start anybody you think can do the job that being Weems!! Take a look at Cleveland ; Joey Graham was a starter for them for a while not sure if he still is but give me a break Joey Graham!! If he can be a starter then Weems could be as well. The point is don`t give up on Sony and especially not Bayless if Sony would only settle down and just go to the hoop and not settle for so many jump shots he would be what the raptors need. Look at Bargs last night he was lost out there and he wouldn`t go to the hoop which would then set up his long 3`s.
                        IDK what you're watching, Bayless is far from ready to play starting PG.

1) He's selfish.
                        2) Forces plays.
                        3) He turns the ball over.
                        4) Low court vision.
                        5) He doesn't know the system.

Calderon has been playing off the chart (at least offensively) there is no way in hell you could bench him. We win far more games with Calderon starting then with Bayless starting.
                        Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Wed Dec 15, 2010, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Weems is garbage. Garbage on D. Low IQ. Selfish. Tunnel vision.

His salary is 800 grand. Ship him off for some fish n chips or something.

Bayless just needs to be yelled at to stop his tunnel-vision-I'm-gonna-go-1-on-5 thing that he whips out a few times per game.

Comment

South_Side_Jane wrote: View Post
                            i been telling yall in other threads that weems is playing for a contract we need to trade him.
                            Now, after his recent play there is no doubt he's playing for a contract but I think simply benching the guy would do for now. He's more useful as a throw in in a bigger trade if need be. When I say benching I mean healthy scratch. Put the guy in a suit at the end of the bench for a week to think about his game. Let's see him play himself into a bigger contract there.

Comment

I must admit that he has surprised me this year. He seemed to be such a great shooter and a bright prospect for the future. However, he has continuously shown himself to be greedy and not at all an efficient player. What happened to the defense we saw earlier in the season?

Comment

He keeps making rookie mistakes. He drove a few times last night and just coughed up the ball, or the play where they had a fast break and he pushed it the whole way before he let it slip out of his hands. The guy has potential but the comment by doc is right; he seems to be interested in his own game right now. I don't know if he should be traded but I do think that he should be sat on the bench for a while. He made it off there because he worked hard and was defensive minded. Am I right or was that not said about him last year? He seems to have lost it for whatever reason. He needs to come back down to earth and play within his team or he is no use to the organization going forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X