I wonder how demoralized Solomon Alabi is right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder how demoralized Solomon Alabi is right now

What happened to Solomon Alabi today against the Chicago Bull must have really demoralized him.

A Ten man roster,a blow out game and he still did not get to play this is really demoralizing for the poor rookie. Even if he may suck, the guy should have gotten some minutes to play today. This was just really sad and demoralizing.

It pissed me off too, but I was reading Doug Smith's blog and apparently they don't plan to give him much floor time. They only brought him back from the D-league because they have come to the conclusion that the D-League is worse for his development than riding the pine. I hope they will give him a chance as the season progresses but we'll just have to wait and see.

Link the the blog post-http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2010/12/okay-heres-the-first-thing-you-need-to-know-about-solomon-alabi-he-is-not-here-to-play-please-put-out-of-your-minds-th.html
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I wonder if Solo is demoralized today. Sultkam, what do you think?

Comment

he's a beast in my nba live 10 franchise mode...he blocks and rebounds
        "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

Alabi should have received playing time, especially in a blowout. Is it demoralizing however? Not in the least. And it should be the least of your worries.

Comment

I don't think it's demoralizing, especially to a player like Alabi, he knows how good he and he knows he needs to improve and I think right now he's just glad to be back with the team as opposed to still being in the D-league. If anything, they're trying to teach him more in practice, hopefully he'll start improving because I'd like to see him come off the bench here and be a solid contributer in the future.

Comment

I do not see what is wrong with him playing in the d-league. At least he gets some burn and coaches who are able to spend more one on one time with him. He also is able to watch game tape of him playing and able to improve his technique.

I have a feeling that Jay and the rest of the coaching staff are not spending time in practice trying to develop Solo and he is just there to be an extra body in practice / water boy. Send him back to the d-league, you are paying him anyway and at least he gets to play.

The guy is a work in progress, but we are just stunting his growth by leaving him to rot on the end of our bench.

Let Solo play!

Comment

I think he's just happy to be in Canada...

Comment

Actually, they already sent him to the D-league, and he was barely getting any play time or one-on-one practice and learning because well...he already has an NBA contract. Most of the players there are trying to get an NBA contract, and most of the coaches are hoping to maybe become an assistant for an NBA team. That's why they brought him back from the D-league, it was being detrimental to him.

Comment

Here's my question: is the d-league broken? It seems like nobody ever actually improves playing in the d-league. It doesn't seem like an NBA team has any input into how their d-league team operates, partly because there isn't a 1-to-1 relationship between teams. Is it really about development, or is it just a way to keep guys playing so that there are bad players out there that can be signed in an emergency? Since there are fewer games down there, there should be more time for practice, meaning that there's time and opportunity for player development, but it's just not happening. An NHL and AHL team often run the same systems so that any players who get called up know how to play within that system, and there's a lot of communication between coaching staffs about how they want players used and developed.

Comment

I think our tough coach forgot about him

Comment

I don't know much about it, but I know the NBA D-league is not as well developed a farm system as the AHL because NBA teams usually do not care for developing players at lower levels. If you can't compete, then it's off to the Euro-league for you. Personally, I can't even think of a successful person to make the transition from the D-league to becoming a solid contributer in the NBA.

Comment

There have been guys who have made the transition. If I'm not mistaken, Jomario Moon was signed by the Raptors when he was 27, and had spent his whole career up to that point in the D-League. Maybe not the most impressive player to come out of there, but he does have a full time job in the NBA now.

Comment

It is truely Sad when the team is down by 30 and the game is over and Alabi still does not see a floor time.
                            I thought this season is all about evaluating the Talent on this team.

We are giving all these time to Weems who after 25+ is clearly showing is not a STARTER in this league. They should move him to bench and see how he does from there.

The should play Wright and Alabi more and see what they can bring.

Comment

From Wikipedia:

"Successful NBA call-ups
                              Many former NBA draftees, waived players and undrafted players have played in the NBA D-League. Some of the called-up D-League players that went on to have successful NBA careers include Rafer Alston, Louis Amundson, Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Devin Brown, Will Bynum, Matt Carroll, Eddie Gill, Stephen Graham, Jason Hart, Chuck Hayes, Anthony Johnson, Dahntay Jones, Jamario Moon, Mikki Moore, Smush Parker, Bobby Simmons, Ime Udoka, Von Wafer, C. J. Watson, and Mike Wilks.[15] Aside from these players, there are several successful NBA players who were assigned to the D-League in their first and second season, such as José Juan Barea, Brandon Bass, Andray Blatche, Aaron Brooks, Jordan Farmar, Marcin Gortat, Ramon Sessions and Martell Webster.[16"

I guess it's actually not a bad list, so now I'm wondering why we called up Alabi so quickly?

Comment

Working...
                              X