• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    1. DeRozan is taller
    2. Gordon is stronger
    3. Gordon is a vastly superior defender
    4. Gordon is a vastly better shooter - He started slowly this season in his three point shooting but has picked it up as of late and it wouldn't surprise me if he finished at over 40% for 10-11.
    5. Gordon is a far better passer
    and don't forget 2 key attributes:
    6. Gordon gets to the line more.
    7. Gordon converts at a higher % at the line.

Comment

black angus wrote: View Post
      DD = the next Fred Jones
      ... He's already better than Fred Jones.

Comment

Draft site Draft Express had a great write up on DD, and honestly it's still pretty much dead on. He has crazy hops, extremely coachable, great work ethic. No range, limited BBall IQ/creativity, lacks fire, handles and defensive fundamentals. The carrot on the end of the stick for Raps fans is that most everyone agreed (predraft) that he has the most upside of any wing in the 09 draft but that the team picking him will need to be patient.

Bang on.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Demar-DeRozan-1319/
        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

DeRozan "Bang on" RFLMAO

He has made two three-point shots all season.

and six in his two seasons in the NBA.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

You know, I've given him a little bit of grief and questioned his ceiling. However one player to look at in terms of 'what could be' with hard work and determination is Wilson Chandler. I guess one thing to keep in mind is there is a bit of a difference size and draft position (23 versus 9) but hopefully no one will give too much grief over that.

Here is Chandler's profile on TSN.ca, scroll down to his stats - NBA and college are there.
            http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/players/...ame=nba-knicks

Here is DeRozan's:
            http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/players/...me=nba-raptors

DeRozan's DraftExpress was put in by minks77. Here is a piece of Chandler's with the link for the full profile at the bottom:

"Chandler is a raw, but extremely promising hybrid forward with prototypical tools for the next level. Standing somewhere around 6-8, he passes the eye test and then some, with an awesome combination of size, length, and athleticism. He has a fantastic frame and unbelievable explosiveness, being able to make at least a few plays in each game that almost no players in this draft are capable of.

Not having scouted him all that seriously this past season (no one really expected to declare for the draft, let alone keep his name in), it was hard for us not to come away from watching his tapes recently feeling like he has more potential than anyone outside the top dozen names or so in this draft, and that we may have seriously slept on him these past few months."

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz19ujw6SRT
            http://www.draftexpress.com

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              DeRozan "Bang on" RFLMAO

He has made two three-point shots all season.

and six in his two seasons in the NBA.
              huh? The scouting report was and continues to be fairly accurate and mentions his lack of range. Am I missing something here?

On another note, he had a sweet game tonight. Pierce got free for that dunk on him though and both PP and Allen were getting everything they wanted by winning time. The most impressive thing about his game tonight was making it 2 big games in a row, being active in attacking all night. Once he extends his range a bit it'll all get much easier for him. Definitely got robbed on calls the whole game but it's the NBA and they're the Celtics.
              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

all this dude needs is the playing time and a lil confidence and he should be good to go.. and i agree he needs that jump shot.
                ~ Court Surfing ~

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  You know, I've given him a little bit of grief and questioned his ceiling. However one player to look at in terms of 'what could be' with hard work and determination is Wilson Chandler. I guess one thing to keep in mind is there is a bit of a difference size and draft position (23 versus 9) but hopefully no one will give too much grief over that.

Here is Chandler's profile on TSN.ca, scroll down to his stats - NBA and college are there.
                  http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/players/...ame=nba-knicks

Here is DeRozan's:
                  http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/players/...me=nba-raptors

DeRozan's DraftExpress was put in by minks77. Here is a piece of Chandler's with the link for the full profile at the bottom:

"Chandler is a raw, but extremely promising hybrid forward with prototypical tools for the next level. Standing somewhere around 6-8, he passes the eye test and then some, with an awesome combination of size, length, and athleticism. He has a fantastic frame and unbelievable explosiveness, being able to make at least a few plays in each game that almost no players in this draft are capable of.

Not having scouted him all that seriously this past season (no one really expected to declare for the draft, let alone keep his name in), it was hard for us not to come away from watching his tapes recently feeling like he has more potential than anyone outside the top dozen names or so in this draft, and that we may have seriously slept on him these past few months."

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz19ujw6SRT
                  http://www.draftexpress.com
                  Though a perfectly legitimate argument, I'll continue to say that Tracy McGrady is the perfect match in the 'could be' catergory. Wilson Chandler plays much 'bigger' than Derozan. Though a valid comparison, I'm not sure it's completely spot on.

I think the way both DD and TMac came into the league; very young and veery Raw, but showed incredible upside is the perfect place to start. Then one can look at their first season stats. Neearly identical. Sophomore, very similar, but Derozan has so far shown more promise at this point. I think it's a perfect comparison as both have shown similar play styles and both desperately needed to improve their outside game at an early age.

Though I fully expect Demar to make his own name throughout the league in a year or two, when one looks at what could be, I think we need to expect a Tracy McGrady type player to come out of this.
                  It's really all up to Demar. (And Triano I guess)

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Though a perfectly legitimate argument, I'll continue to say that Tracy McGrady is the perfect match in the 'could be' catergory. Wilson Chandler plays much 'bigger' than Derozan. Though a valid comparison, I'm not sure it's completely spot on.

I think the way both DD and TMac came into the league; very young and veery Raw, but showed incredible upside is the perfect place to start. Then one can look at their first season stats. Neearly identical. Sophomore, very similar, but Derozan has so far shown more promise at this point. I think it's a perfect comparison as both have shown similar play styles and both desperately needed to improve their outside game at an early age.

Though I fully expect Demar to make his own name throughout the league in a year or two, when one looks at what could be, I think we need to expect a Tracy McGrady type player to come out of this.
                    It's really all up to Demar. (And Triano I guess)
                    I wasn't really trying to compare the two. Rather give an indication of what can become of athletic, RAW players who put the work in.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I wasn't really trying to compare the two. Rather give an indication of what can become of athletic, RAW players who put the work in.
                      Oh, then I agree with you. haha

Comment

DeRozan lives at the gym. He puts the time in and eventually that's going to pay off. He's not going to be the next Kobe Bryant or Dwayne Wade but that's more than ok. As long as he keeps building towards a strong overall game he will become an outstanding player in the league one day. For now, he's showing great promise and struggles. It's how it goes for most young players. Most young players don't enter the league and blow up right away. In the past I've mentioned Steve Nash and Alex English as two prime examples of what can happen when instant gratification is not given to the fans but the potential and strong work ethic are present in the player. He may never get close to them but at the least he's going to become a fine player if he keeps working like he's been working. Hard work pays off.

Comment

Draftexpress best case scenerio for DD before he was drafted was Josh Howard and worst case scenerio was Rodney Carney.

At this point DD is much better then Rodney Carney and is about 2/3 a player that Josh Howard was. Also Josh Howard entered the league at the age of 23 and it took him to the third season (age 25) before he averaged 15 points a game.

Patience with Derozan is the key. Lets just hope he will be working on his jump shot this summer because that would determined if he can in fact make that jump to the next level.

Comment

Working...
                          X