No announcement yet.

The one that got away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rondo was starting to show that he was going to be a great/special player the year before the celts traded for garnett and became a superpower
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
      In the big offseason which led to the Raps winning the Atlantic, we had a verbal agreement from John Salmons ... and he backed-out.
      In a scurry move we signed Fred Jones instead, and Salmons went on to have a great few years being a scoring guard that we really could have used ... more than Jones.

If TMac had stayed, he and Vince in their primes together a few years ago would have been spectacular to see ... but oh well.

The offseason we got Jermaine O'Neal, there was another deal in the works with the Bobcats for Gerald Wallace ... would have been amazing, but then we would have been good and Bosh would have stayed - so i'm happy how it worked out!!!
      Fully agree with all 3.

Salmons would have been a nice addition to this team. We could have definitely used his scoring touch.

If the organization did not lowball T-Mac, we could have had a team that would have dominated the East for years.

And the Gerald Wallace thing - I would have loved to see him here and the deal was originally Ford for Wallace, but apparently, Wallace didn't want to come here, but our team would have been much more dynamic with Crash.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        the only one that still irks me was the first rounder for jermaine o'neal. at the time we could have drafted roy hibbert, who i watched in college and absolutely salvitated over. a 7-2 center who was a excellent defender and rebounder. the type of guy who could clog the middle and allow bosh/bargs to really shine. essentially we'd have hibbert and bosh with bargs coming off the bench. even when bosh leaves (and there was no way he wasn't going to leave) we're still in good shape as hibbert and bargs' games complement each others nicely.

instead we got o'neal who was traded within the year.
        Hibbert wouldn't have been our pick. It would have been JJ Hickson.

Comment

why would we draft another pf?
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Hickson had 3 workouts here prior to th draft and the Raptors brass was very high on him. Some might have dubbed him the best player available at that point where Toronto was drafting. Colangelo likes his bigs with mobility. Hibbert isn't one of those guys.

Comment

Why did they draft Ed Davis? Best player on the board, in their opinion and mine.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Why did they draft Ed Davis? Best player on the board, in their opinion and mine.
                Not only that, but Hickson put up some impressive numbers as a freshman. Probably comparable numbers to Hibbert - and Hibbert was a senior. Meaning, Hickson has lots of time to grow and improve.

Comment

Did someone say Salmons?

Does anyone remember him invoking a dream (or some vision thing) where his god told him to go to Sacramento instead? That was funny...and tremendously courageous of him. The guy is a good baller but he didnt have the cojones to just say he changed his mind? He'd be great in a foxhole.

Comment

What comes to my mind first is horrible draft choices made by horrible GMs, who passed up on some solid choices. Babcock drafted Rafael Araujo 8th !!! when we could have had Andre Iguodala, Andris Biedrins, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Jameer Nelson, Tony Allen, Kevin Martin and Beno Udrih. That was a huge bust and we could have been so much better with anyone mentioned above.

Another one that got away was when Grunwald drafted Micheal Bradley passing over Brendan Haywood, Tony Parker, Zach Randolph, and Gerald Wallace.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
                    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
                      What comes to my mind first is horrible draft choices made by horrible GMs, who passed up on some solid choices. Babcock drafted Rafael Araujo 8th !!! when we could have had Andre Iguodala, Andris Biedrins, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Jameer Nelson, Tony Allen, Kevin Martin and Beno Udrih. That was a huge bust and we could have been so much better with anyone mentioned above.

Another one that got away was when Grunwald drafted Micheal Bradley passing over Brendan Haywood, Tony Parker, Zach Randolph, and Gerald Wallace.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
                      To be fair, Babcock didn't select Araujo. That was a Jack McCloskey pick. McCloskey wanted to appeal to the blue collar/hockey style type of player. That was a true case of not selecting the BPA. I believe the guy that Babcock wanted was Iguodala. Luke Jackson and Jameer Nelson was in the mix as well.

As far as the Bradley selection went, I thought at the time it was pretty good. He put up some very good stats at Nova, had some good size and was thought of as a heir apparent for the front court, especially at the 4. I know the Raps were high on Randolph, but passed on him because of character issues while he was at Michigan State.

Comment

I hated the Bradley selection at the time. I thought there were guys available with far more potential. That one still hurts to think about.
                        Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jan 4, 2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Rg1990 wrote: View Post
                          The obvious one, using our 1st overall in 2006 on Brandon Roy. Yeah he's had done injury problems, but if we had both Bosh and Roy, we'd be a perennial playoff team.
                          GTFO

Former golden boy GM, Kevin Pritchard got fired for ignoring the medical reports in selecting both Oden and Roy

Comment

Rondo's stat line tonight versus the Spurs:

12 points shooting 60% from the field, 10 rebounds, 22 assists, 6 steals, a block and a win.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              12 points shooting 60% from the field, 10 rebounds, 22 assists, 6 steals, a block and a win.
                              I think he's the ONLY one I would say would be a better pick then Bargs, BUT I'm truly not sure he'd be the player he is without Garnett/PP/Ray/Doc ... Its been in the playoffs that he has truly flourished, and I'm just not sure those situations would have presented themselves anywhere BUT Boston.

But ya ... Rondo is the ILLEST.

(Our current PG's stat's of 17 and 20 ain't bad either though... haha)

Comment

His greatest strengths (defense, rebounding, athleticism and court vision) don't require a strong supporting cast. No doubt those stars make his life a lot easier but we're not talking Jason Kapono in his Heat days or anything. The only hole in Rondo's game is his long range shooting and he doesn't need that because his goals don't seem to involve being a prolific scorer and he doesn't need to shoot the ball to dominate a game. The way he plays is rare. There is no one in the league like him and I think most teams would sell the farm to get him

Comment

Working...
                                X