The one that got away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The one that got away...

In life, we all experience loss - you know, the quintessential, "the one that got away." The freshest opportunity we lost was really none other than big "T" in Tyson Chandler. I don't mean to lament on spilled milk here but the recent success of the Mavs defensively is because of his work. As much as I'd like to curse MJ for thwarting the deal that could've relieved us of an albatross contract in Jose Calderon's and could easily have been Barg's ferocious frontcourt partner, we can't really dwell on this too much. I'll go out on the limb here and say that TC could've added 8 - 10 additional wins tops to our current record. This is of course debatable, but look no further than Dallas' dominance (yes, they played bad the last few games, so has the Lakers).

Fellow RR members, can you compile at least 3 "got away" players / coaches / front office types that could have brought more success to the Raps in its entire league history? Would you have drafted Jennings before DeRozan, or Iguodala before Araujo? Oh, wait, scrap the last one, we know the answer to that!!!
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

1996 draft. Picking Camby 2nd overall when there was Nash, Kobe and Ray Allen available. Now I wasn't a basketball fan when I was 6 so I can't say I remember , but looking back, better choices could have been made.

Comment

The obvious one, using our 1st overall in 2006 on Brandon Roy. Yeah he's had done injury problems, but if we had both Bosh and Roy, we'd be a perennial playoff team.

Comment

Not using rather ...sorry for my mistake. Also we should have drafted Wade instead of Bosh. Although we had Carter so...

Comment

I think you have serious masochistic tendencies bringing up the TC deal. Opened up a wound here. I console myself thinking that there would have either been no motivation for him here to play the way he is or that he would have been a mere rental for the year...his deal ends this season and he will be looking for a big package. But yes he is the type we want in the paint. Maybe we can get him for 2011 as a f/a.

Comment

Could have, would have, should have, I see no point dwelling on the past, it can't be changed, I would rather debate who we should go after as free agents.

Comment

Rg1990 wrote: View Post
              1996 draft. Picking Camby 2nd overall when there was Nash, Kobe and Ray Allen available. Now I wasn't a basketball fan when I was 6 so I can't say I remember , but looking back, better choices could have been made.
              For the record: Camby was one of the top college prospects in that draft, lots of teams wanted him and the scouts were all very big on him. His biggest knock was his "red flags" off the court. No one was picking Nash to be much good, much less a 2 time MVP and Kobe refused to play/workout for many teams indicating he wanted to land with LAL. He was drafted by the Hornets in a prearranged deal with LAL for Vlade. No way the Raps have an offer even close to that.

Hindsight, sometimes you need glasses for perspective.
              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

None of those guys were being tossed around as potential #2 picks. Camby was an excellent choice. Given the information at the time he was the right choice. Don't be blinded by the hindsight.

Ones that got away...

Chauncy Billups. He had a cup of coffee here. For shame.

Rajon Rondo. There were rumors of Colangelo trying to obtain the pick to nab him but he couldn't seal the deal.

Danny Granger. There were major concerns about his knees coming into the draft. Babcock went with the "safe pick" and selected Joey Graham instead.

Comment

In the big offseason which led to the Raps winning the Atlantic, we had a verbal agreement from John Salmons ... and he backed-out.
                  In a scurry move we signed Fred Jones instead, and Salmons went on to have a great few years being a scoring guard that we really could have used ... more than Jones.

If TMac had stayed, he and Vince in their primes together a few years ago would have been spectacular to see ... but oh well.

The offseason we got Jermaine O'Neal, there was another deal in the works with the Bobcats for Gerald Wallace ... would have been amazing, but then we would have been good and Bosh would have stayed - so i'm happy how it worked out!!!
                  The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

The obvious one, using our 1st overall in 2006 on Brandon Roy. Yeah he's had done injury problems, but if we had both Bosh and Roy, we'd be a perennial playoff team.
                    I think Roy's knee injuries (the reason many GM's passed on him) makes Bargnani the right pick! Would you rather an injured B-Roy? Aldridge? Tyrus? Morrison? Foye? Maybe Rondo, but away from the big 3, he is just a fast PG who can't shoot.
                    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                      Maybe Rondo, but away from the big 3, he is just a fast PG who can't shoot.
                      Didn't he even say he is where he is because of Doc Rivers? You think Jay would have had the same impact/influence on his career?

Comment

We didn't go with Roy because we had just signed Calderon. And now with those knees everybody was whispering about way back when giving out on him I think Bargnani was a solid pick. Him and Aldridge are debatable and yeah I would love to have Rondo as he is now but nobody would have taken Rondo #1 back then. He wasn't even in the conversation.

Comment

the only one that still irks me was the first rounder for jermaine o'neal. at the time we could have drafted roy hibbert, who i watched in college and absolutely salvitated over. a 7-2 center who was a excellent defender and rebounder. the type of guy who could clog the middle and allow bosh/bargs to really shine. essentially we'd have hibbert and bosh with bargs coming off the bench. even when bosh leaves (and there was no way he wasn't going to leave) we're still in good shape as hibbert and bargs' games complement each others nicely.

instead we got o'neal who was traded within the year.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

1. The Hoffa draft always stands out in my mind when I think of past failures, we were still a pretty decent team then and the right pick might have made a huge difference.
                            2. Not trading Bosh last year, although he did BS us into thinking there was a chance, but since BC said he heard rumblings at the break, he shouldve made a move.
                            3. Alex Radojevic.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                              Maybe Rondo, but away from the big 3, he is just a fast PG who can't shoot.
                              Rondo is the best player on the Celtics and is one of the very best defenders at the PG spot in the league. Not to mention he's highly efficient. We of all people should know that being able to shoot long range shots means jack to winning anything in the NBA. Rondo does some many things great and he busts his ass every game. You put him on any team and he's going to be great. In fact, you place him on a lesser team and suddenly he's shooting six or seven more shots and getting to the line thee or four more times a game averaging closerto 20PPG.

Comment

Working...
                              X