CLE post game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLE post game

PJ Carlesimo at halftime: "When we get some stops we're a decent team. When we don't, we're terrible." Funny but true - tell it like it is PJ.

Cleveland really is awful. Any 'analyst' working for ESPN or whoever who state the Raps are the worst team in the league obviously doesn't watch many Cleveland or Toronto games. It would have been nice for the Raptors to really show a killer instinct early and put the game out of reach in the 3rd quarter when it was 73-67 rather than let them back in to the game and then put them away. Oh yeah, and started strong as well would help.

Great game by Wright. His hustle and energy is great, however, he is a 3rd string NBA talent, IMO. He is needed when injuries or hustle is lacking. Sorry to all the Wright fans but while talent only gets you so far, so does hustle and energy. With that said, I'd like to see him stay in Toronto and if I can sign him to a minimum contract, I sign him in a heartbeat (along with Dorsey).

Bargnani was plus 29 - just saying to those +/- posters.

I think Bargnani is really becoming the player BC envisioned. He needs defensive players around him to compliment (or as some bashers would say, hide) his deficiencies but there is no doubting his importance on offense and what he can bring to the team. Hopefully it was not just a one game showing but he actually looked in to it on the defensive end. He'll never be a great defensive player but he did block a couple of shots and he did go for boards with 2 hands - in my books that is improvement.

I'm loving what Ed Davis brings. He bobbled a few rebounds tonight but he has another 47 games to use the rookie excuse - jk. I can only imagine what experience and a little more muscle mass will do to his game.

Calderon played great - really great. This is why if I'm BC I'm looking to move him. His value will never be higher, his contract is awful, and his injury history is too long to give the benefit of the doubt. Just my opinion.

Barbosa must be one of the streakiest players in the league. JR Smith, Jamal Crawford, LB... anyone else worth mentioning?

Nobody must want to start at SF for the Raptors. First Kleiza gives it up, then Weems, now Kleiza is stinking again. "And in the 2011 NBA Draft, the Toronto Raptors select (insert SF here)."

DeRozan had a rough night. The first quarter was brutal. He woke up a bit after his spill.

I'll give Johnson credit for continuing to battle through back injuries/spasms and not quit but, regardless of healthy or not, he is a bench player - a reallly, really good bench player. No offense Amir, as it is not meant as an insult - far from it.

I think Derozan should have atleast had a few more calls tonight, the refs totally hosed him. Ever since Triano indirectly touched on the subject of the refs not calling more fouls for Demar and company, nothing seems to be going his way. Most likely acoincidence but im just saying.

Comment

after reading matt52 comments about tonights game I realize players that play for toronto will never get the real recognition they deserve unless they can score points in bunches, with that said julian wright is a baller and cities like detriot are the only places someone like him would get true love.

moving on to kleiza like I said before I hate his game and unless he is scoring points he should never see the floor between him and peja I would keep peja no questions asked.

I have also come to the realization that if you put barbosa in a rip hamilton type situation he would probably excell.

Comment

Just watched the replay and its rediculous how brutal the calls were tonight, especially on demar. i liked the way he dominated the end of the game though. didi anyone see his head bounce of the floor? wow and still no call

Comment

Maybe Julian is a 3rd string. But with 2 SFs who appear talented but may be mentally weak (Weems not taking care of himself/suffering from black-hole syndrome, Linas -- playing well only when there's no competition, he's starting and every day that has a "t" in its spelling) maybe he should start.

Comment

Nice summary Matt.

My take on things are that it is really nice to have Calderon playing point. Somehow Bayless just seems more like a sg. I like Bayless, but he seems pretty similar to Barbosa. Anyway, Calderon acts as a true pg, distributing the ball and making plays. The offense (apres 1eme) was pretty smooth with him running the show. Tonight showcased how good Bargs really is. I think he still has room to develop and his defense will improve. I had to laugh when you said that he actually went for a board with 2 hands! Julian had a break-out game. Certainly we should see him play some starter minutes next game. Plus he seems healthy, which is more than I can say for our other SFs. Barbosa can rattle off some points can't he? Even if I wince every time he chucks up a 3, it was nice to see some go in.

So, a solid game and a nice win. I look forward to the next.
            Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Tonight should be the final blow to Triano, JWright needs more minutes. Maybe not 31, but 15-20 at least. Weems, when he returns, should not even get one minute.
              Other than that, great game by the team but it was the Cavaliers.
              More wins against these teams would be great, all the energy and excitement is nice to see.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                after reading matt52 comments about tonights game I realize players that play for toronto will never get the real recognition they deserve unless they can score points in bunches, with that said julian wright is a baller and cities like detriot are the only places someone like him would get true love.
                My point is Wright is a great player to have on your team in a limited role i.e. 11th-15th man. But if you are counting on him to play major minutes, night in and night out, your team is awful and you'll be playing for the lottery every year. Keep in mind who the opponent was last night.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                  Maybe Julian is a 3rd string. But with 2 SFs who appear talented but may be mentally weak (Weems not taking care of himself/suffering from black-hole syndrome, Linas -- playing well only when there's no competition, he's starting and every day that has a "t" in its spelling) maybe he should start.
                  On this team, this year, possibly. But if the Raptors are ever to become a playoff contender in the next season or two, fans had better hope he is firmly at the end of the bench the majority of games.

Comment

Wright is more like a poor man's Garbajosa, he knows his spots on the court, when to shoot or pass, where his teammates are and he seems to have a really good basketball iq. the thing is, he's not consistent. he seems to play erratic at times and tries to force things. not a starter but probably a solid backup. 10-15mins. what he does best is change the flow of the game with his intensity and hustle. as long as he doesnt take jumpshots, its fine with me.

i dont think its really a win they should celebrate, they allowed the cavs to get 105 points, a team who only has 8 wins shouldnt be allowed to get 105 pts. perimeter D was terrible. too many open 3s.

seems like Demar has gotten back to his old self, deferring to bargs and barbosa. he did step up during bargs' absence, but he should continue to assert himself on offense. the only knack i have on demar tho is he doesnt seem to do anything else. he lights up the scoreboard with 37, 25, 18 but his other stats are mediocre, 3 rebs, 3 asts, 1 stl. for him to take his game to the next level, he should be doing more...

Comment

its not even half way through Demars second year, and he is 21... thats pretty damn good. Everyone complained that demar never made any improvment and now he does. so what does everyone do? they complain about something else. this site is going to shit

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Any 'analyst' working for ESPN or whoever who state the Raps are the worst team in the league obviously doesn't watch many Cleveland or Toronto games.
                        Just for the record Ryan Russillio said they have the worst collection of talent in the L, not the worst team. He put it like this: Would Sac give up Evans or Cousins for any Raptor? No. Would Minny give up Love/Rubio for anyone on the Raps? No. Would NJ give up Lopez/Harris for any 2 raps? Probably not. The one he had the most trouble with was Cleveland, but he feels like Hickson/Mo/AJ were better talent/value than Bargs/JC/DD. Keep in mind this was all talked about before Special Ed came back.

Just sayin.
                        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                          Just for the record Ryan Russillio said they have the worst collection of talent in the L, not the worst team. He put it like this: Would Sac give up Evans or Cousins for any Raptor? No. Would Minny give up Love/Rubio for anyone on the Raps? No. Would NJ give up Lopez/Harris for any 2 raps? Probably not. The one he had the most trouble with was Cleveland, but he feels like Hickson/Mo/AJ were better talent/value than Bargs/JC/DD. Keep in mind this was all talked about before Special Ed came back.

Just sayin.
                          Fair enough and thank you for the clarification.

My point was, in general, most American analysts who cover the league have no clue what is going on with Toronto. As soon as Bosh left it was all: they will be the worst team in the league because Bosh was awesome and their franchise player. Well, forgetting talent or roster, they are not the worst team in the league and it has become apparent that despite 24/11 from Bosh they are arguably better now and with a brighter future - if they are not better then they are certainly more enjoyable to watch. I know they are nowhere near the best or even average, but that is not the point. It is the constant disparaging of the team because they are the only non-US based team. That is the only reason. It is tiresome especially coming from supposed professional journalists and writers. Know the subject you are covering before you spew fallacies.

Another example is when these guys throw out rumours such as Barbosa for James Johnson/CJ Watson. Well the trade won't work. Or when one of them says NYK can sign Wilson Chandler after they sign Carmelo Anthony to a max deal this summer - ummm, no they can't.

Anyways, I'm on a rant. Sorry about that. Bottom line is most of these 'journalists' are

Comment

Working...
                          X