DeRozan's Stat Line For December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRozan's Stat Line For December

16 PPG, 48% FG, 10% 3PT, 76% FT, 3.3 REB, 1.7 AST, 1.5 TO, 1 STL, 0.5BLK, 2.3 PF

Only 10% of his attempts came from the perimeter. That number is cut in half if you include FT attempts. Speaking of FT attempts, he averaged 5 a game in December. Not bad for a guy who was compared to Fred Jones in here a few days ago. I felt he showed a lot of improvement on both sides of the ball from November to the end of December. He's on the right track.

like i said in my earlier post, his scoring is there, but not doing much other than that.
    for a guy with hops and quickness, he should at least get a bit more rebounds and steals.
    i know when he drives he gets a lots of fouls and eventually FTs, but he should learn to make those extra passes to open teammates, thus giving him asts.
    he needs to be more active and aggressive but he's definitely on the right path.

Comment

You need to consider that he's only 21 and only half way through his second season. This is meant to show which way his game has been going and so far as I can tell it's been going up. Even in his weak areas I can see improvement. It's not fair to expect it all from him basically from day one when he was advertised as a guy who would need time and looked that way in his one year of college.

Comment

Nice post Apollo. I really like what I've been seeing from Demar thus far. His scoring average has been climbing, and I've maintained that if he can get it too 16ppg, then there really isn't anything anyone can complain about. He's extended his range in a very short time, and will only continue to do so; however he has shown an increaded willingness to lean on his strengths more and more which is a VERY good sign for a young player. At least he's not TRYING to shoot 3-4 3pts a game, right? haha

Also, when you look at Jennings, Curry and Evans all struggling this year and Derozan only getting better, I'm a happy fan.

Comment

Sneak Peak At The Coming Janauary Thread (DeMar's Last 7 Games Avg.)

21.3 PPG, 50% FG, 0% 3PT, 79% FT, 3.7 REB, 1.9 AST, 3.0 TO, 1.0 STL, 0.7 BLK, 2.8 PF

That zero percent is based on two attempts, total, in seven games. He got to the line six times a game over the past seven.

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Nice post Apollo. I really like what I've been seeing from Demar thus far. His scoring average has been climbing, and I've maintained that if he can get it too 16ppg, then there really isn't anything anyone can complain about. He's extended his range in a very short time, and will only continue to do so; however he has shown an increaded willingness to lean on his strengths more and more which is a VERY good sign for a young player. At least he's not TRYING to shoot 3-4 3pts a game, right? haha

Also, when you look at Jennings, Curry and Evans all struggling this year and Derozan only getting better, I'm a happy fan.
          Thanks man. Good point about the other high profile sophomore guards but you forgot Johnny Flynn.

I also agree with your point on the positive sign that he knows his strengths and weaknesses and acts accordingly. For those kicking him for ball IQ, I think they've missed the boat on this concept. Most young players either have a hard time grasping or accepting their limitations, let alone playing the game in a way that best utilizes their abilities. His weakness can be fixed and I believe he is working on them but it's nice to know that work is not happening when the real bullets are firing.

Here's something I'd like to end with. The best thing that could have happened to him so far this season was Sonny Weems being forced to the sideline. When Sonny is ready to come back I hope Sonny's minutes are cut because the time he's been away has be very beneficial to DeMar's growth.
          Last edited by Apollo; Sat Jan 8, 2011, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Derozen has been playing well. I was wrong about him because I thought he was well overhyped. I do still believe he should develop a better jumpshot and eventually extend to the 3 point line in the next few years. As a SG you don't have to be a 3 point threat but at least have the ability to make one consistently when open.

He does need to be more selective and keep the turnovers down. He mostly needs to improve his defense. He cannot guard guys like Ray Allen. That takes basketball IQ (experience).

One thing that worries me about Derozan is that he sometimes plays too aggressively. It will inevitably lead to an injury. He needs to better learn how to control his body when he attacks the basket and not go all out.

Comment

Against Sacremento, Demar is showing that he CAN take over a game and hit the baskets when the team needs them.
              I'm liking what I see. Between him and Andrea, thats the beginnings of a Big 2/3. hahah
              Surround them with quality defense and just let them take the majority of the shots.

Comment

Yeah the guy is really starting to take steps forward. A majority of his criticism to date has been unfair and his progression is proving that.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Yeah the guy is really starting to take steps forward. A majority of his criticism to date has been unfair and his progression is proving that.
                  I've been one of the few that have noticed the improvements since game one this year. Now I'm laughing at the people who said he's the same scrub player. Ha!

Don't get me wrong, his per 36 numbers are fairly similar. But if you look BEYOND the numbers, he's completely different. So much confidence and swagger.

And one thing I've pointed out since early this season, statistically:
                  Check out his assisted field goal %. It's way down. Dude's been creating a lot of his own shots this year as compared to last. It's a growing thing, so it's not surprising that he's still fairly turnover prone and that he's not as efficient. But he's doing it. And he's getting better.

He's also become a willing and smart passer as of late. A few turnovers here and there, but the fact that he's thinking this way is extremely promising.
                  Joshua Priemski
                  NBA blogger
                  SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                  www.RufusOnFire.com/
                  www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

After getting held down from Garcia mid - way through the game between the Kings yesterday, DeRozan got up and showed some real grit on D for the first time in a long while. Played some inspired D against Garcia and almost seemed to challenge the crafty defender and really exposed him and casspi off the bounce. During this stretch of confidence - building, great games for Demar, his defense is seemingly starting to come around (He is trying too at least by showing some grit, he is young and still has alot to learn, but he is making much fewer mistakes out there in his more productive minutes)

Comment

Excellent points Roughhide. Welcome to Raptors Republic.

Comment

DeMar DeRozan 21.0 PT | .523 of 15.5 FG | .828 of 5.8 FT | .000 of 0.2 3P | 3.5/0.9 RB | 2.3 AS | 0.6 BL | 1.1 ST | 2.8 TO | 3.0 PF | 36.5 MN | 10/10 GS | (last 10 games)
                        Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Mon Jan 10, 2011, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I also agree with your point on the positive sign that he knows his strengths and weaknesses and acts accordingly. For those kicking him for ball IQ, I think they've missed the boat on this concept. Most young players either have a hard time grasping or accepting their limitations, let alone playing the game in a way that best utilizes their abilities. His weakness can be fixed and I believe he is working on them but it's nice to know that work is not happening when the real bullets are firing.
                          This is a really good point. We knew that he'd been working on his jumper outside of games, but for the first couple of months of the season he wasn't taking all that many shots as we pretty much ran our whole offence through Andrea. Then the injuries hit and DeRozan had to step up, and did so admirably. His hard work is beginning to pay off, and I think the fact that he works on his game so much outside of the actual games bodes well for his long-term future. Maybe he'll never be a truly elite player, but he can certainly be very good.

Comment

Interesting Article on DeRozan

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I didn't see it if it did. Rob Mahoney of Hardwood Paroxysm has an interesting take on DeRozan.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.c...one-dimension/

It's an interesting approach and advocated by someone who doesn't follow us too closely and it makes sense. Still doesn't excuse his D, though...
                            "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
                            -Newsradio

Comment

I think people, myself included, were getting impatient as there was no real sign of growth or improvement. Luckily for Raptors fans he is finally shown progression. He is still raw but at least for the time being hopefully people will get off his back. He needs a jump shot.

As long as the Raptors are going with DD and Bargnani in the starting line up they need a SF who can hit the 3, play D, and rebound above average for his position - that sounds like a role Jeff Green would excel at (and people I know he plays PF for OKC but he is a natural SF). Unfortunately the chances of getting Jeff Green are somewhere between slim and none.

Comment

Working...
                              X