Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alabi Called Back Up (UPDATE - Post #17)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabi Called Back Up (UPDATE - Post #17)

Just an FYI for those that care.

The Toronto Raptors announced Thursday they have re-assigned rookie centre Solomon Alabi to the Erie BayHawks of the NBA Development League. Alabi will continue to be included on the Raptors’ roster and will be placed on the team’s inactive list.

Alabi was with the BayHawks from November 15 – December 9. He appeared in seven games with Erie, averaging 8.6 points, 6.7 rebounds, 3.0 blocks and 22.7 minutes. He had 12 points and 11 rebounds in the Bayhawks’ 102-82 victory over the Utah Flash.

Alabi has appeared in five games with the Raptors, totaling five rebounds in 15 minutes.
    Source - Click here

I think it's the right move for him to be playing down there, despite all those comments on how bad the D-League is and all that... As long as he gets a fair shot he should improve enough(we hope) to where he can maybe get some minutes with the big club next season.

On the other hand, he'd be averaging about 14 rpg if played about 40 mins here, why aren't they keeping him up here again?????

Comment

This kid has to get very mad at what they are doing to him and step up his game big time because I don't think he is going to get a fair shot at least not his year.

Comment

Can you say Nate Jawai?

Good bye Alabi, we barely knew ya

Comment

poor guy. he's going to be ostracized down there.
          im pretty sure nobody will like him now, even his fellow players the way he lambasted the d-league.

man, if i had his height, id be all over this game.
          such a waste of height and wingspan.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
            Can you say Nate Jawai?

Good bye Alabi, we barely knew ya
            It's not really the same. Jawai played his ball strictly in Australia, so he wasn't really playing against fantastic competition. He was a real unknown. At least Alabi came over to the states and played college ball at a school that plays in arguably the toughest conference in the nation. While they're both raw, Alabi has a chance to actually make an impact if he shuts his mouth and works hard. Jawai was just fat.

Comment

It's obvious Solomon will follow Nate Jawai right out of the league. Even with our injuries this year, Raps management have barely been able to find any minutes for Alabi. Considering the time we've given to Dorsey and the likes of Pops Mensah-Bonsu last year, it's pretty clear Alabi is not NBA-ready. And in this league, you need to show something...anything....to be given any more than a year of a shot.

Unfortunate since we could use a defensive big man in the paint.

Comment

I wouldn't say that he's gonna follow Jawai out of the league, Roc. When he was drafted, everyone knew he was raw. You could see some of the skills were there, but he was not at all close to getting regular minutes here. He was catergorized as a project. Time hasn't run out on the guy yet.

Comment

I'd say generally you have two seasons...if you're lucky. There are always new "projects" coming into the league every season. I've actually liked a bit of what I've seen from Alabi, but the coaches know more than me and even in our predicament, they've decided he's not worth minutes with the big team. He'll be all right, even if he doesn't develop for the NBA, there are leagues around the world.

Comment

J-Roc wrote: View Post
                    I'd say generally you have two seasons...if you're lucky. There are always new "projects" coming into the league every season. I've actually liked a bit of what I've seen from Alabi, but the coaches know more than me and even in our predicament, they've decided he's not worth minutes with the big team. He'll be all right, even if he doesn't develop for the NBA, there are leagues around the world.
                    Way too soon to write him off already. I think the GM and coaches knew when they drafted him that he was going to get next to no playing time his first season. How many mid 2nd round picks do you see making any impact and getting minutes their first season? It's pretty damn rare. Next year he has a much better chance of being a 4th string big, like a Dorsey role. Even then, after this season he's got 2 more seasons left on his contract for very little pay so the risk is low for the Raps.
                    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I hope BC actually takes a chance on a guard next draft, they are a dime and dozen and some good one's always fall through to the second round.

Every forward/Centre that BC selected in the second round has fail and so will Alabi, BC should fire his advisors and start taking chances on guards.

Comment

alabi had 20 pts 11 rebounds with 1 block shot and 5 fouls tonight, they seem to be passing him the ball more and IMO some of the fouls that were called on him were a bit soft.

Comment

Alabi's best game in the D-League

I noticed that Solo dropped 20 pts 11rebs the other day back in the D League.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...9879/-1/SPORTS

No one posted a thread so I figured I'd start one up. A few questions:

Assuming this is a sign of him improving and not just there coach finally letting his NBA players actually play... Is this a sign of the work he did while up with the Raps?

If so, why send him back down?

Did anyone bother watch the game and see if he's made any marked improvements?

That's all I can think of.

Comment

It's the D-League, Alabi is young. Let him stay half a season there at least and give him playing time. On our roster he is useless, playing maybe 5 minutes max. At least he can gain confidence and test out moves and all playing 30+ minutes in the D-League.

Comment

Glad to hear Alabi killed it last game in D-league. I think all this means is that he had a good game. I wouldn't read into it anymore than that. It's just one game.

Comment

Working...
                              X