Amir's Offense Starting To Look Really Sweet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir's Offense Starting To Look Really Sweet

He made some really nice moves tonight off the dribble including that white-lightening move that he was called for traveling on.

I am still RFLMAO over his white-lightening move. He smoked I believe it was Davis who was saved the embarrassment of it all by the traveling call on Amir. I think it was Devlin who commented that Amir was so fast that he had to be traveling. That is probably what the official who made the call also thought

Amir almost pulled it off. It looked like he moved his pivot foot just a nudge to get some extra leverage which allowed him to flash by Davis like white-lightening.

I am laughing because the play is so Amir always cheating on court just a bit to try and get that edge. He has been doing it for a quite a while on defense but now he is definitely added it to his offense. Note: He does cheat on occasion on the offensive glass .

In addition I have noticed that he is nudging his way toward the three point line on his jump shots. I believe he took one tonight with his back foot no more than a foot or so from the arc. I expect to see him shooting some three point shots by next season. What is interesting is that the direction that he is backing up on both sides of the key will take him to where Sheed used to shoot a lot of his threes.

Can anyone spell more than a few games of H.O.R.S.E between Sheed and Amir when they where teammates?

Yea I thin they can.

Sheed and Amir where pretty close. Sheed kind of took him under his wing.

So overall I am very encouraged by Amir's progress on offense. He is adding new weapons and still able to shoot within the flow of the game, rarely taking a bad shot.

It is in my opinion getting closer to the time when he will be doing some really exciting things with the ball off the dribble. I think he will always try and pick his spots.

I was watching Kobe tonight put in one his patented dribble drive "leaping leaners". As I recall I saw Amir do a few of those while he was in the D-League. It would not surprise me to see Amir shooting and scoring on leaping leaners some time in the not too distant future, like maybe later this season or next season.

Tonight was the first night in years that I started to see the seeds of some really exciting stuff from his offense in addition to some of his dunks.

Starting to look really sweet
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Jan 8, 2011, 04:16 AM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Amir Man Crush not quite out yet

I agree that Amir's offense is getting "sweeter" but the foul rate is still up there. I'm hoping that it is his back. I do feel that something has got to happen about Barg's situation. I'm just looking ahead and even if we land the top three, we will continue to have similar problems on defence because we still have AB7 in the starting line-up. Andrea's "uniqueness" in his offense is negated by his lack of effort in the defensive end. It is simply something he'll never learn.

That said, he needs to go to the bench with DeRozan because they are both one dimensional players in their own right. Amir has more to offer on both sides of the floor - So does Wright. I know it's never going to happen but it needs to be said anyway.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
      I agree that Amir's offense is getting "sweeter" but the foul rate is still up there. I'm hoping that it is his back. I do feel that something has got to happen about Barg's situation. I'm just looking ahead and even if we land the top three, we will continue to have similar problems on defence because we still have AB7 in the starting line-up. Andrea's "uniqueness" in his offense is negated by his lack of effort in the defensive end. It is simply something he'll never learn.

That said, he needs to go to the bench with DeRozan because they are both one dimensional players in their own right. Amir has more to offer on both sides of the floor - So does Wright. I know it's never going to happen but it needs to be said anyway.
      Johnson's foul rate is actually down somewhat significantly since he has been starting.

In 21 starts of about 27mpg he is averaging 5.1 fouls per 36 minutes vs his career number before this season of 6.3.

I don't ever expect it to get really low but I do think 4.5 per 36 minutes is a definite possibility.

Interestingly enough there has been only one NBA player in the history of of the NBA that has averaged 5.1 or more fouls per 36 minutes and played over 2,500 minutes during that season. What is interesting about this and I didn't know it before I just queried it is that that player is James "Buddah" Edwards. That is where my Buddahfan name comes from.

At 4.5 or more fouls per 36 minutes with a minimum of 2,500 minutes you get a list of 25 occurrences [/URL] There are some pretty good players on that list.

Including but not limited to

Willis Reed
      Patrick Ewing
      Jack Sikma
      Shawn Kemp
      James "Buddah" Edwards

However I do think that if Johnson wants to be a full time NBA starter that eventually he will have to drop his foul rate per 36 minutes down another 1.2; i.e. from 6.3 to 5.1 to under 4.0

There are 138 occurrences in NBA history of 4 or more fouls per 36 minutes and 2,500 plus minutes in a season.

I am happy with his minutes so far this season.

27.5 mpg over the last 21 games as a starter is not too bad, especially when you consider he has been playing injured for the last 8.5 games with six of the last seven of those eight + being on the road.

In fact starting with the Pistons game which was right after the game vs the Lakers where he got injured the Raptors have not played two consecutive games in any city. They have been on the road and everyone knows what plane flights do for bad backs and it isn't good. Plus being on the road so much I doubt that he has gotten as much medical treatment as he would have had the Raptors been home for most of those games.

Basically the whole team is banged up and exhausted right now. Some good ole home cooking and sleeping in one's own bed over the next couple of weeks should help immensely.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        Johnson's foul rate is actually down somewhat significantly since he has been starting.

In 21 starts of about 27mpg he is averaging 5.1 fouls per 36 minutes vs his career number before this season of 6.3.

I don't ever expect it to get really low but I do think 4.5 per 36 minutes is a definite possibility.

Interestingly enough there has been only one NBA player in the history of of the NBA that has averaged 5.1 or more fouls per 36 minutes and played over 2,500 minutes during that season. What is interesting about this and I didn't know it before I just queried it is that that player is James "Buddah" Edwards. That is where my Buddahfan name comes from.

At 4.5 or more fouls per 36 minutes with a minimum of 2,500 minutes you get a list of 25 occurrences [/URL] There are some pretty good players on that list.

Including but not limited to

Willis Reed
        Patrick Ewing
        Jack Sikma
        Shawn Kemp
        James "Buddah" Edwards

However I do think that if Johnson wants to be a full time NBA starter that eventually he will have to drop his foul rate per 36 minutes down another 1.2; i.e. from 6.3 to 5.1 to under 4.0

There are 138 occurrences in NBA history of 4 or more fouls per 36 minutes and 2,500 plus minutes in a season.

I am happy with his minutes so far this season.

27.5 mpg over the last 21 games as a starter is not too bad, especially when you consider he has been playing injured for the last 8.5 games with six of the last seven of those eight + being on the road.

In fact starting with the Pistons game which was right after the game vs the Lakers where he got injured the Raptors have not played two consecutive games in any city. They have been on the road and everyone knows what plane flights do for bad backs and it isn't good. Plus being on the road so much I doubt that he has gotten as much medical treatment as he would have had the Raptors been home for most of those games.

Basically the whole team is banged up and exhausted right now. Some good ole home cooking and sleeping in one's own bed over the next couple of weeks should help immensely.
        Buddah, how much do you pay your research staff? Also do you give benefits? LOL - I'm joking by the way.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Buddah, how much do you pay your research staff? Also do you give benefits? LOL - I'm joking by the way.
          Not as much as the Rubber Roomers make

All K-12 Teachers
          Median Salary by City

N.Y. $50.607

New York's infamous rubber rooms went the way of the dodo this year, the city is happy to tell you.

But that would be news to former hooker Melissa Petro, the "reassigned" teacher collecting her full salary in a windowless room in Brooklyn as the Department of Education strives to fire her.

After The Post revealed her past as a Craigslist call girl in September, Petro was yanked from her Bronx classroom.

But firing tenured teachers like Petro is so hard that it led to the creation of rubber rooms, where teachers who couldn't be allowed in classrooms were held together in limbo for days, months, years -- idle but pulling down full pay.

Melissa Petro

That was supposed to end after the city and the teachers unions agreed in April to speed up disciplinary hearings and assign teachers work while they waited.

But instead of earning her keep doing chores, Petro gets paid "to sit in what amounts to detention," she says.

Petro refuses to participate in the charade that the rubber rooms are gone. And there's nothing the city can do about it.

"If someone refuses to do work, we can bring insubordination charges," a DOE spokeswoman told The Post.

But the DOE wouldn't answer questions about whether it intended to try Petro.

To be sure, the DOE did a heroic job this fall clearing out the rubber-room backlog that wastes $30 million a year.

Last summer, there were 770 rubber roomers -- a number that dwindled to 236 by November and drops more each day.
          Rubber-room blues

Comment

Amir has a lot of potential. His contract is heavy but he's still young. I prefer him to be in the post than shot open jump-shots. That's not his game yet. He has good length and should try to get better post position to make a play or to get an offensive rebound.

Looks good though. Not $7M good a year but potentially dominant.

Comment

I was surprise to see You were the author of this thread.....honestly, it's a little weird. Mothers don't see this much in their own kids, lovers don't have rose-colored glasses as thick as these. Next time you compare amir to kobe, just stop and start over.

Comment

Working...
              X