lets talk Bayless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lets talk Bayless

Am i the only one that thinks his ceiling is great sixth man?
    @sweatpantsjer

also while we're talking about sixth men we all agree they need to trade barbosa right?
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

1. I think Bayless has starter potential, but he has too much of a shoot first/pass later modus operandi. If he can flip that, he could be great.

2. I would try and re-up Barbo, dude is a lighting rod. If he gets that wrist surgery this summer, he could be even better. Not sure if he wants to stay in T dot though.

Comment

Bayless kinda reminds me of micheal vick when he was in Atlanta, he would look only at option #1 and if it wasn't there he would just go. Someone needs to teach him to slow down, let the play develop and make all the reads first and if nothing is there then go.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
          Bayless kinda reminds me of micheal vick when he was in Atlanta, he would look only at option #1 and if it wasn't there he would just go. Someone needs to teach him to slow down, let the play develop and make all the reads first and if nothing is there then go.
          great analogy. agreed 100%

Comment

bayless needs to rest he's cleary struggling with his ankle he can't drive hard witch is essential to his game

Comment

VERY solid analogy.

Comment

There is a reason why both Portland while in need of young PG and NO passed on this guy !!!
                At the early days of his arrival to Toronto, there was a poll on the site and something around 30% of Raptor fans thought Bayless is an ALLSTAR while something arounf 50 thought he is a solid starter in this league.

So far he has been as he was advertised :

A shoot first PG with a shaky shot and not a great court vision. A streaky scorer who can really light it up at some night. A small Shooting Guard who can not defend #2.

If you ask me now, he is a decent back up PG at best in NBA.

Comment

He is only 22. Give him minutes off the bench and he will come good. A young backup PG is exactly what we want at his moment.

Comment

Bayless and Barbosa are essentially the same player and unfortunately usually play together. Barbosa is not a natural PG so considering Bayless is only 22 he should be developed more into a PG. One thing that bothers me about Bayless is he looks for his own offense too much. I'm not the biggest fan of Calderon but he does a great job facilitating other guys. I think for Bayless to have a bright future he needs to leave that combo-guard role, especially if he wants to start eventually. He shoot learn how to become a better assist guy and not just shot 3s or drive wildy to the rim and hoist a tough layup. He is far more athletic than Jose and is nearly a good enough open shooter. Basketball IQ is missing. He can dribble past guys but instead of looking for his offense he should be encouraged to dish out assists.

Barbosa has a player option next year which I doubt he will refuse so I expect a lot of clutter at the SG/PG position. I think it's a matter of time before Barbosa loses his quickness/first step due to his age. I can't really see him being as effective after the next season so investing in Bayless makes sense. If I had my way I'd be starting Barbosa at PG now just because he's a good defender against PGs and not so much on SGs.

Comment

I like his game a lot! He is young and raw and is still getting used to the Raptors Offense and the players around him. It's not completely his fault because if you watch the rest of the team when he has the ball, they are just watching him with their thumbs up their ass and not moving. That's why it's so hard for him to do anything cause there are so many pylons on the Raptors.

Jose already knows the limitations of the pylons/players and so he won't try and force anything. Bayless is still figuring it out, and he will get it and become a great starter! remember, he's been playing on a sprained ankle! He can still blow by other guards!

Comment

I think he has starting potential, with some good coaching and more experiance. As of right now he is definetly a back up in my books, of course he needs more playing time than a bench player if he is to develop fully

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          also while we're talking about sixth men we all agree they need to trade barbosa right?
                          agreed, i like him but he needs to go IMO

Comment

Why do you need a football analogy? There's a basketball analogy - it's called a combo guard. They're score first point guards and there are quite a few of them in the league. The best comparison/ceiling for Bayless is Devin Harris.

In the case of Vick, he never had a real wideout when he was playing on the Falcons. His best target was probably Alge Crumpler or Brian Finneran.

Comment

Bayless is finally getting some minutes for the first time in his pro career and he's producing. How about we give the guy some more playing time before fully writing him off?

Comment

Working...
                              X