No announcement yet.

lets talk Bayless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the toughest part of going from SG to PG is your handle. And Bayless has the handles. I think the part where you learn to pass first can come with time. And he gets to watch Jose.

I could see longterm Bayless being our starting PG. He only needs to be able to setup Andrea or DeMar (the other two players just take what comes their way). And then in the 4th Q, if we need a guy to break down the D and get to the rim, Bayless can do it.

Oh, and he looks to be okay on defence too.

Comment

I see a little Jameer Nelson/ Raymond Felton in his game, neither are huge assist guys (although Felton has jumped this year) but can get their team into sets and do an OK job defending other PGs. Baylees is still learning when to look for his spots and when to get guys touches, learning from Jose will be better for him than learning from Chris Paul. CP3 is a great PG, but his game is to different from Bayless' to help him out. If you surround a guy like Bayless with good players he can be a starting PG on a very good team, but he will not make a mediocre team good.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

J-Roc wrote: View Post
        I think the toughest part of going from SG to PG is your handle. And Bayless has the handles. I think the part where you learn to pass first can come with time. And he gets to watch Jose.

I could see longterm Bayless being our starting PG. He only needs to be able to setup Andrea or DeMar (the other two players just take what comes their way). And then in the 4th Q, if we need a guy to break down the D and get to the rim, Bayless can do it.

Oh, and he looks to be okay on defence too.
        Agreed.

Derrick Rose is another example of a scoring PG. If Bayless ends up being even 2/3 the player that Rose is we'll be in pretty good shape with him, DeRozan, and Bargnani.

Comment

My only concern is we're not giving Bayless many minutes now. Albeit he's been injured lately, but if him and Jose were healthy, who'd get the minutes? If we go into the offseason and we're still not sure what Bayless is, then we have to start considering drafting/acquiring a PG. If we have 3 PG's going into next season, then Bayless won't get a chance at all. Seems to me we need to do everything we can to find out this season if he's worth developing as our future PG. It's always nice to already have the pieces.

Comment

I think Triano probably does want to rest Jose a bit more, which will make him less likely to sustain another injury -- he's just waiting for Bayless to recover fully. Since Jose's okay on the court, once both are healthy again I'd expect Jose to play fewer minutes and Bayless to play more. Not an equal split like the Jose-Jarrett days, but maybe 30 min for Jose and 20 for Bayless.

Comment

Is it just me or does Bayless not have a mid-range game? I don't mean just a mid-range jumper, I'm talking about playing inside the three-point line in general. It seems to me like he either sets up outside the three-point line and passes around to others while waiting for a play to develop, takes a three, or barrels straight to the rim. In the last case, if he finds someone near him as he approaches the basket and he gets closed off, he might make a pass. I think to truly be effective he needs to learn how to keep his dribble and move around a little bit while waiting for the play to develop. This, along with an improved nose for finding people, will help him take the next step as a PG.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                Bayless is finally getting some minutes for the first time in his pro career and he's producing. How about we give the guy some more playing time before fully writing him off?
                oh im not writing him off at all, im quite pleased we have him. i just dont buy all the "star pg of the future!" hype he seems to get.

i guess what im saying is i hope we don't pass on a franchise pg in the draft cause we have him.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

"I could see longterm Bayless being our starting PG. He only needs to be able to setup Andrea or DeMar (the other two players just take what comes their way). And then in the 4th Q, if we need a guy to break down the D and get to the rim, Bayless can do it. !
                  Oh, and he looks to be okay on defence too. "

I agree, he looks like he would be a great leader too which is what is needed at the pg spot.

Comment

Bayless has the potential to be a decent to good back up pg, but not more than that. Too small to play at SG, and lacks the court vision to be a true PG. He's young and will improve incrementaly (shot, vision etc..), but you either got it or you don't and he's had enough time on good teams to show if has "it".

Comment

It can take years for a player to put it all together. Anyone remember a guy named Chauncey Billups? Bayless is young and talented. The Raptors will have the rest of this season and next to figure out if he is a starter, back up, or 3rd string.

Comment

I think Bayless could be a good piece for the Raptors long term, whether that' be starting PG or 6th man. First of all, he defends and scores, not to mention he's a mentally tough player (the guy tried to play through 2 consecutive ankle injuries, props).
                        The only problem with him is that he's a shoot first PG, I see that being a slight problem, and only with the current roster. Our team, as constructed at the moment cannot consistently create their own offense, therefore relies heavily on Jose to set them up. Imagine once we have more talent on this roster, and we have players that can create shots for other players, or facilitate the offense, leaving Bayless to do what he does best (whatever that may be).
                        *At the moment Bayless isn't ready to take over the reign of the team, and that's fine since we still have Jose under contract for a few more year, are we so ready to write off this kid before he even get a chance ? If Jose can have some sort of impact on Bayless, then we definitely got a keeper !

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          It can take years for a player to put it all together. Anyone remember a guy named Chauncey Billups? Bayless is young and talented. The Raptors will have the rest of this season and next to figure out if he is a starter, back up, or 3rd string.
                          Chauncey is never a good example. All the teams he failed on would have been crazy to wait around year after year. If a guy won't pan out for another five years (and if he's not a rookie), you need to move along.

Comment

Vik wrote: View Post
                            Is it just me or does Bayless not have a mid-range game? I don't mean just a mid-range jumper, I'm talking about playing inside the three-point line in general. It seems to me like he either sets up outside the three-point line and passes around to others while waiting for a play to develop, takes a three, or barrels straight to the rim. In the last case, if he finds someone near him as he approaches the basket and he gets closed off, he might make a pass. I think to truly be effective he needs to learn how to keep his dribble and move around a little bit while waiting for the play to develop. This, along with an improved nose for finding people, will help him take the next step as a PG.
                            Yep, I always say he needs to add a pull up J to his arsenal. Right now, when he drives, he drives with the purpose of getting to the rim. He tucks the ball in like a running back, and I feel like he travels many times, and he goes for the rim. When defenses collapse, he needs to either hit an open man, or if no one is open, pull up for the J. But he has great shooting mechanics, so he should be able to learn these moves.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              Bayless has the potential to be a decent to good back up pg, but not more than that. Too small to play at SG, and lacks the court vision to be a true PG. He's young and will improve incrementaly (shot, vision etc..), but you either got it or you don't and he's had enough time on good teams to show if has "it".
                              Totally agree. Nice player on any given night. Plays with desire and intensity. Tough dude. Doesn't have the size, vision, IQ or range to be a top-10 starting guard.

Comment

Copywryter wrote: View Post
                                Totally agree. Nice player on any given night. Plays with desire and intensity. Tough dude. Doesn't have the size, vision, IQ or range to be a top-10 starting guard.
                                20 teams don't have a top 10 starting PG, what you need is the right fit for your team.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X