The forgotten Gun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The forgotten Gun!

Sonny Weems is only 24 years of age this is his first full year playing in the NBA. Although I beleive he is better served coming off the bench this year, I still beleive him and Derozan are the future Raptors backcourt for years to come. They proved to be a lethal combination in summer league and with more experience and game time they should form a lethal backcourt for years to come.. My Money is on Sonny!!

I do like Sonny, and I admire that he has no conscience when it comes to shooting the ball. But Summer League proves nothing.
    Look at Anthony Randolph. I love him. Dude hasn't done anything in the Regular Season really, but because he's had a few good Summer League's he will still be heralded as an 'unlimited ceiling' type player for years to come.
    There's a saying, "Summer League doesn't tell you who can play. It tells you who CAN'T."

Oh ya, Sonny. I dig him. But will probably get traded. He's a more athletic, worse shooting Marco Belli. Or a shorter, less athletic, worse defending Jamario Moon. Takes alot of shots you wish he wouldn't shoot. And plus he's redundant once/now that Demar proves to have a semi-reliable Mid-Range game.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Jan 11, 2011, 07:20 PM.

Comment

i'd love to see it happen. We'll have to see if he's been learning sitting on the bench or if he will be looking for his own when he's back. the team is invested in DD and if Weems doesn't pan out sooner than later then he'll be gone. the faster he improves the more likely he will stay on the team.

Comment

I don't see Sonny hanging around that long. Truthfully Demar is the more exciting player. Derozan is averaging 14.8 ppg this year and he's got a lot of time to get better. I believe derozan will be a top SG in a few years. He's sort of one dimensional now and isn't very efficient, but this current streak is promising. He's a work in progress.

Comment

Weems needs to go and quick with Peja. Weems has yet to prove a lick in this league. Considering his skills, he won't even fetch those synthetic balls that the players hated a couple of season's ago in a trade.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
            Sonny Weems is only 24 years of age this is his first full year playing in the NBA. Although I beleive he is better served coming off the bench this year, I still beleive him and Derozan are the future Raptors backcourt for years to come. They proved to be a lethal combination in summer league and with more experience and game time they should form a lethal backcourt for years to come.. My Money is on Sonny!!

You make is sound like he is a rookie, the guy played 69 games last year and started 19, he knows what he needs to do and has not showed much
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

It's a bad sign when you're the team's least important player at their weakest position. Kleiza and Wright, heck even Peja (who probably never plays another game for this team), all have more ability to positively and consistently impact a game than Weems does. If you want to include the SG position, he's a few notches below DeRozan and Barbosa (Bayless too, but he doesn't really count as the team seems to view him as a future PG). You can add to this the high likelihood of us drafting a SF with one of the two first-round picks. So where does he fit? Maybe he can convince me (and more importantly, Colangelo) before the end of the season, but if he doesn't, probably the best scenario for him is getting out of Toronto and getting a fresh start.
              He'll find a NBA career for himself, but if he doesn't take advantage of the opportunity he was handed here, he'll have a long road of fighting for bench minutes and hoping for injuries before he gets minutes like he's been given this year.
              Last edited by octothorp; Tue Jan 11, 2011, 09:53 PM.

Comment

To stick in the NBA, Sonny needs to take a page from Julian Wright's book and focus on defence first and making smart plays with the ball. Sonny's not a bad passer when he considers passing an option.

Comment

Many people have pointed this out already but Weems and DD have the same game. The Raps need a lock down defender and three point threat off the bench at the 2, IMO. Something to change the pace when DD goes out or to lock down another team's top wing. JUst my opinion. Corey Brewer would be nice.

Comment

I also believe in Sonny. I think he tried too hard because he had an opportunity for a fat contract. But he'll come back and do the things he did last year. Money on his midrange J, and play D. And he's way better than the likes of Jamario Moon because he has no problem attacking the rim. I hope he comes back strong.

Comment

For those of you who say Derozan and Weems have very similar games to that I reply : What an amazing problem to have! I mean when Carter and Mcgrady played for Toronto I didn't see to many people complain. The only complaining I heard was after they both left and how good Toronto would have been had they both developed together. Plus, Weems and Derozan are best freinds how would Derozan feel if Weems is traded?? If you want to keep Derozan happy keep Weems for the long term. Worst case senario Weems becomes a spark plug JR Smith type bench player best case he becomes a more athletic Rip Hamilton type player.

Comment

Worst case JR Smith? That would be saying a lot and Weems is not there yet so hard to say that is a worst case.

Comment

Who's Sonny Weems?

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            He's a more athletic, worse shooting Marco Belli.
                            It might seem absurd but Marco is a better defender right now, he's really improved in NO.
                            Sonny needs improve on D too, otherwise he'll be just another athletic guy who takes too many Js and I don't see the raps investing too much in that kind of player. Not exactly a Julian fan, but he makes more sense for the raps right now.

Comment

I think some forget that last yr. Triano would actually use Weems as a prime/lockdown type defender at the end of games (I remember a Kobe matchup he won). Sonny seems to have forgotten that part of his game and I believe it was because of the contract year...he wanted to jumpshot his way to a position on the team and a good contract. Well the Js wouldnt fall and he didnt adjust. I dont blame him entirely but he has another chance coming up for the rest of the season. Defense first (like Wright and last year) and let the offense and contract take care of itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X