CIA Bounce: Undefeated at Nike EYBL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIA Bounce: Undefeated at Nike EYBL

Wasn't really sure where to put this thread, but it can get moved if need be.

I remember a few years ago when they decided to start the Grassroots Basketball Program, there was quite a big fuss over the amount of money being invested into the program and would it reeally pay any dividends.

Well with guys like Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Kelly Olynyk, Junior Cadougan, Myck Kabongo (even Andy Rautins) etc. all going South and proving that they very much are equal in talent with guys from the states, I think it has to be realized that the more money and the more attention we give to these guys (government etc), the better chance Canada has at really becoming a power house in Basketball. I don't see why we can't.

www.nbadraft.net has Thompson going 13th at this point. I want him on the Raps for 2011/12.
    For some reason, I don't think www.draftexpress.com even knows about him. hahah
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 12, 2011, 08:13 PM.

completely agree, Andrew Wiggins is a top rated HS in his class too. Its also cool that all of these guys like and want to play for the senior team.

although i disagree with Thompson for the Raps, I'd rather see Kabongo

Comment

Madman wrote: View Post
      completely agree, Andrew Wiggins is a top rated HS in his class too. Its also cool that all of these guys like and want to play for the senior team.

although i disagree with Thompson for the Raps, I'd rather see Kabongo
      Ditto on Kabongo, but he's still at Findlay Prep. this year. Will be lighting it up for the Longhorns next year though, then prime for us to draft our PG of the future.

Comment

I played with Kevin Pangos a few years ago at camp Olympia... I remember making a 3 pointer in his face to win the championship for the week lol fun stuff. But he is definitely a good player, has a solid work ethic and a father-coach that knows his stuff.

My brother also played on Grassroots with all those guys, but I didn't watch too many of their games. From what he tells me though they're all really good (although of course he thinks he's better lol), and from the few games I've seen I agree. Don't know about lottery picks, but the Canadians born 91/92/93 are really playing good basketball and possibly making a case for kids playing in Canada to be scouted a lot more heavily without having to go to the US.

The thing with all these kids is they want to go south and don't even want to stay here. With Grassroots it may different since they play AAU teams in the states, but not many of them really want to play for the men's national team. Especially cause of Leo. Leo tried hard to recruit my brother but now that he said no and went to prep school in Boston, Leo hates him and wouldn't say one nice word about him... pretty immature stuff lol.

Comment

p3t3ypablo wrote: View Post
          I played with Kevin Pangos a few years ago at camp Olympia... I remember making a 3 pointer in his face to win the championship for the week lol fun stuff. But he is definitely a good player, has a solid work ethic and a father-coach that knows his stuff.

My brother also played on Grassroots with all those guys, but I didn't watch too many of their games. From what he tells me though they're all really good (although of course he thinks he's better lol), and from the few games I've seen I agree. Don't know about lottery picks, but the Canadians born 91/92/93 are really playing good basketball and possibly making a case for kids playing in Canada to be scouted a lot more heavily without having to go to the US.

The thing with all these kids is they want to go south and don't even want to stay here. With Grassroots it may different since they play AAU teams in the states, but not many of them really want to play for the men's national team. Especially cause of Leo. Leo tried hard to recruit my brother but now that he said no and went to prep school in Boston, Leo hates him and wouldn't say one nice word about him... pretty immature stuff lol.
          I agree thats its kind of crappy that they all have to go South to find real competition and notoriety. However, at the same time, I think that is what is helping their confidence so much, is that they ARE competing with, and often exceding the players from the US, in terms of talent.
          I think if we could start offering some sort of scholarship program for athletes, and some of these schools can start playing South of the Border in some Tournaments, then they can start getting noticed, drawing crouds, and ultimately making some money ala NCAA. These teams down south make MILLIONS. Canada is foolish not to take advantage and pump that money back into the schools and programs.
          I know Joseph, Thompson, Kabongo, Olynyk have all expressed interest in representing the country on the Senior level, and that is what we need. Young guys in the system early.

Comment

I know Leo's concern with some payers heading down to the US is that they are not getting their Skills developed, the fundamentals are to often put to the sideline in order for the team to win. Player development is a big part of what Canada Basketball is concerned with, not having kids make the NBA. In order to compete at the highest level internationally you need the best players in the world (USA) or you need skilled players at all positions who know how to play the game (Spain, Agentina, Greece).

France has the most non-american players in the NBA and look at their lack of international success, this is not our goal as a country. That being said, I do think that the future is bright with the current crop of NCAA players and the guys like Pangos, Wiggins, Birch, Wiltjer, KAbongo, Webster-Chan and others.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
              I know Leo's concern with some payers heading down to the US is that they are not getting their Skills developed, the fundamentals are to often put to the sideline in order for the team to win. Player development is a big part of what Canada Basketball is concerned with, not having kids make the NBA. In order to compete at the highest level internationally you need the best players in the world (USA) or you need skilled players at all positions who know how to play the game (Spain, Agentina, Greece).

France has the most non-american players in the NBA and look at their lack of international success, this is not our goal as a country. That being said, I do think that the future is bright with the current crop of NCAA players and the guys like Pangos, Wiggins, Birch, Wiltjer, KAbongo, Webster-Chan and others.
              All very good points. So is Spain someone Canada should maybe try and mimic in terms of Youth Development? Or do we use the same template that the US has used to allow for LOTS of NBA talent, as well as LOTS of international Success.

Comment

Grassroots Canada, encourages the best of the best to go down to prep colleges in the south. The idea is to maximize these guys potentials and that involves playing against the best of the best at their age group. As a famous example, Triano when he was head coach at SFU he discovered Nash and tried to recruit him, however after seeing how good he was he convinced Nash to play for a mid=major in Arizona and the rest is history.

Thompson, Cory, Olnyk, Sacre none of these guys will be declaring this year I believe.
                However, Kris Joseph of Syracuse (Cory's cousin the Joseph clan is ridiculously talented) will most likely be a late first round selection.

Khem Birch is 4th in his recruit class and Myck Kabongo, Kyle Wiltjer are top 25.

Check my signature for more information.
                Last edited by Raptorsss; Thu Jan 13, 2011, 08:35 PM.
                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Wasn't really sure where to put this thread, but it can get moved if need be.

I remember a few years ago when they decided to start the Grassroots Basketball Program, there was quite a big fuss over the amount of money being invested into the program and would it reeally pay any dividends.

Well with guys like Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Kelly Olynyk, Junior Cadougan, Myck Kabongo (even Andy Rautins) etc. all going South and proving that they very much are equal in talent with guys from the states, I think it has to be realized that the more money and the more attention we give to these guys (government etc), the better chance Canada has at really becoming a power house in Basketball. I don't see why we can't.

www.nbadraft.net has Thompson going 13th at this point. I want him on the Raps for 2011/12.
                  For some reason, I don't think www.draftexpress.com even knows about him. hahah
                  As much as I love Thompson and would love to see him on the Raptors, he's be caught in the numbers game. We already have Johnson and Davis at the 4 spot, and I don't think Thompson is quick enough to play the 3.

You should use draftexpress more often. It's way more credible than nbadraft.net. The guys running draftexpress really know their stuff and always have their ear to the ground.

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                    Grassroots Canada, encourages the best of the best to go down to prep colleges in the south. The idea is to maximize these guys potentials and that involves playing against the best of the best at their age group. As a famous example, Triano when he was head coach at SFU he discovered Nash and tried to recruit him, however after seeing how good he was he convinced Nash to play for a mid=major in Arizona and the rest is history.

Thompson, Cory, Olnyk, Sacre none of these guys will be declaring this year I believe.
                    However, Kris Joseph of Syracuse (Cory's cousin the Joseph clan is ridiculously talented) will most likely be a late first round selection.

Khem Birch is 4th in his recruit class and Myck Kabongo, Kyle Wiltjer are top 25.

Check my signature for more information.
                    The trouble with many of the players now is that they are picking the wrong schools to develop, not all the players, but many we thought would be national team players. Ryan Wright is a prime example, he had an OK start at UCLA but was recruited over and transfered out. Theo Davis is another guy who bounced around and faded away. One player who had a disappointing college career but has turned it around is Jevon Sheppard, I feel he was stunted at Michigan.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Yo Mango, I might disagree with you about Thompson at the 3 spot as he has shown some quickness and creativity off the dribble. But yes, as we see him at Texas he is not a 3 man. But I think he has the perfect body, and the perfect skill set to be a solid SF in the league. No way he makes it as an undersized PF. His quickness is something that can be improved upon once he gets more comfortable with the ball in his hands. Which he is not currently able to do with Joseph and Jordan Hamilton both getting much more time with the ball in their hands. I think if he can be had at the 20+ pick, the Raps should take him. I don't think he replicates any of the skills that Amir or Davis bring to the team.

Comment

Thompson would have a long way to go before he is even close to being able to play the 3 spot. He can be called an undersized 4, but his long arms and solid frame will allow him to play that spot at a high level. Milsap, Bass, Boozer, Jeff Green, Blair and others have all done it.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                          Thompson would have a long way to go before he is even close to being able to play the 3 spot. He can be called an undersized 4, but his long arms and solid frame will allow him to play that spot at a high level. Milsap, Bass, Boozer, Jeff Green, Blair and others have all done it.
                          Hrmm... ok. I concede. Still. Trade Amir and take Thomspon. Love Amir but I think the Raps need a hometown kid.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            Hrmm... ok. I concede. Still. Trade Amir and take Thomspon. Love Amir but I think the Raps need a hometown kid.
                            Amir is doing it in the pros right now. Thompson is in his first year at Texas. I wouldn't do that. There are always downfalls with acquiring a hometown kid. Sometimes the pressure is too much to handle. He probably would be better served playing elsewhere.

Comment

Couple more years, and Canada will be a POWERHOUSE.

All we have to do now, is start offering Sports Scholarships, and we'll be able to keep our own Prospects North of the border.

CIA Bounce perfect through three sessions

Going undefeated in the EYBL is no small task. Then again the CIA Bounce are no normal team. Made up entirely of players who come from Canada (although most play high school ball in the states), the Bounce has stormed through EYBL competition while racking up a 14-0 record through three sessions of play.

Leading the way has been the nation's top player in the class of 2014, Andrew Wiggins. The 6-foot-7 wing from Huntington (W.V.) Prep has been a stud in league play and continuously does things that leave you shaking your head. Maybe the most important thing he does is always make up for any mistake he makes. When he takes a bad shot, he has a knack for finding the rebound. When he makes a bad pass, he almost always seems to come up with a steal on the other end. An elite athlete, Wiggins is also much improved as a ball-handler and shooting the ball with much more consistency. At his current stage of development, he looks like he'll ultimately develop into a jumbo-sized shooting guard. Wiggins doesn't typically discuss his recruitment, but is listing Kentucky, Florida State, Syracuse and others.

Wiggins certainly isn't alone in standing out and point guard Tyler Ennis was impressive Sunday and all weekend. A heady floor general, Ennis rarely forces things, doesn't miss open looks and gets others involved. Because he plays virtually mistake-free basketball, defenses get frustrated because they can't rattle him.

On top of Ennis, the Bounce continue get terrific play from shooting guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes and solid contributions from power forward Isaiah Watkins, wing Duane Notice and others.

BIG deal.

http://www.nikeeyb.com/eybl/standings

DIVISION D W L
                              D9 – CIA BOUNCE (CAN) 14 0
                              D4 – HOUSTON HOOPS (TX) 12 2
                              D8 – MEAN STREETS (IL) 12 2
                              D10 – OAKLAND SOLDIERS (CA) 9 5
                              D5 – BALTIMORE ELITE (MD) 8 6
                              D7 – BOO WILLIAMS (VA) 7 7
                              D3 – HOWARD PULLEY (MN) 7 7
                              D6 – SOUTHERN STAMPEDE (GA) 6 8
                              D1 – TENNESSEE TRAVELERS (TN) 1 13
                              D2 – ALL IOWA ATTACK (IA) 0 14
                              Last edited by Joey; Thu May 17, 2012, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X