Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is DeRozan's Defense Worse than Bargnani's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, you can argue that every position has tough covers.

The Centre position is VERY tough, come on. Dwight Howard? Shaq? Noah? Bogut? Horford? Those dudes are big bangers too.

Comment

I'd say it's close, but three things that work in his favour are that he's just in his second season and is only 21, he is renowned for being a very hard worker and does try on defense, and he is not a big man, where his poor defense is amplified.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Problem is that DD doesn't even try to defend, so I'm unable to understand if its good or not.

Since last year he got his 22 minutes / game regardless of everything.

That was one of the reason why we haven't been so successfull with CB4 in his prime.

If BC was really trying to build around CB4 he needed to find a serious SG.
        He didn't, Instead preferred to give the start to DD.
        And CB4 left.

And DD, with his 22 minutes regardless of his defence, is not even interested to try hard to play D.
        In fact, he try harder against big names, and got screwed by averages SG.

oh, And please stop saying that he is an Hard worked based on NO FACT.
        AMIR did a pretty good job on shooting this summer and everybody can see it

DD J is the same as last year.
        Last edited by ska; Fri Jan 14, 2011, 05:48 PM.

Comment

In addition to his inexperience and lack of man strength, Demar's got poor lateral quicks and an unimpressive wingspan working against him physically. He needs to work on his quickness hard in the offseason.

In addition to his poor reaction time and general laziness, Andrea just doesn't seem to know what his defensive responsibilities are half the time. Not sure if he has the mental fortitude to fix this.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
            Guys, you can argue that every position has tough covers.

The Centre position is VERY tough, come on. Dwight Howard? Shaq? Noah? Bogut? Horford? Those dudes are big bangers too.
            Top Ten Scoring Leaders
            1. Kevin Durant
            2. Amare Stoudemire
            3. Monta Ellis
            4. LeBron James
            5. Kobe Bryant
            6. Dwayne Wade
            7. Dirk Nowitzki
            8. Derrick Rose
            9. Carmelo Anthony
            10. Eric Gordon

DeMar conceivably could be called upon to guard seven out of those ten. Bargnani on the other hand, two out of ten. By the way there are only four centers in the top fifty scorers.

Comment

Guarding a SG is easier than guarding a C.

On the bright side both guys can only improve defensively.

Comment

666 wrote: View Post
                That is a VERY general statement.
                I can't imagine guarding Kobe Bryant is "easier" than guarding Andris Biedrins.
                Or guarding Monta Ellis is "easier" than guarding Al Horford.

I think they are both different monsters that to be treated as such.
                Both are skills that cannot be picked up over night; but are skills that CAN be picked up over a long period of sustained hard work.
                Which both are not afraid to commit too, I'm sure.

Comment

True but I'd argue there are more Cs than SGs of high caliber in the league.

Guarding a post player in the college level and beyond is like a wrestling match. Physically exhausting. I'd rather chase a guy on the perimeter off screens and make him beat me with a jumpshot then be bodied by a big man.

Yes it is a general statement but take Kobe and Shaq in their prime. Who would you rather guard. Shaq is the tougher guard. No one can defend an elite center. There's more intricacies to guarding a bigman. Fighting for rebounds is a big component that guards don't deal with as much.

Comment

True but I'd argue there are more Cs than SGs of high caliber in the league.

Guarding a post player in the college level and beyond is like a wrestling match. Physically exhausting. I'd rather chase a guy on the perimeter off screens and make him beat me with a jumpshot then be bodied by a big man.

Yes it is a general statement but take Kobe and Shaq in their prime. Who would you rather guard. Shaq is the tougher guard. No one can defend an elite center. There's more intricacies to guarding a bigman. Fighting for rebounds is a big component that guards don't deal with as much.
                    It's been a while, but can you tell me what 1995 is like? And by the way, if you see 1995-me, can you tell me to invest heavily in Apple. Here in 2011, the center position is probably the weakest it's been in decades. There's only one elite center in the league (Howard), only 2 centers in the top 30 in scoring, and the probable starter in the West at center is averaging 10 ppg and 7 rpg. Meanwhile, the SG position has possibly the best player in the game right now, four of the top 10 scorers in the league, and is possibly the deepest position, quality-wise in the league.

And by the way, I'm guessing you have't defended both positions yourself. As a shooting guard, you have to defend all over the floor, not just in the paint, you get run around countless picks, defend players who are some of the quickest and most athletic in the league, can shoot from 3 point as well as in the paint. And you have to defend a player who is incredibly hard to double team, so you mostly have to do it all yourself. A center, for the most part, stays in the paint and can be neutralized easier by throwing double teams at him, as well as packing the paint to prevent him getting the ball.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      It's been a while, but can you tell me what 1995 is like? And by the way, if you see 1995-me, can you tell me to invest heavily in Apple.
                      Get in on Google and gold. Both are going to be hot. Trust me.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        DeRozan is making mistakes due to a lack of experience. He has all the tools to be a very good defender. He has the work ethic and conditioning to make it happen. The better question is to ask how they compare at age 21. Wait, Bargnani was only a rookie who was so weak and lost that Jose Calderon could probably post him up all night long.
                        No its not a better question

It is just a different question.

In the process you avoided answering the question which is your right.

But please lets not try and obfuscate the issue by your not answering the question but rather saying you have a better question

I have seen this trick pulled too many times in my life
                        Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Jan 15, 2011, 12:01 AM.
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Well I mostly played SF which required chasing guys and fighting for rebounds. I'd rather chase people off screens any day of the week. I did not play at a D1 or NBA level so it is what it is though.

About the center position, I think it's only fair to have to introduce some PFs. With SGs you can also add some PGs. SFs can play both but also lean to SG. I think the C/PF group is tougher to defend though. Nothing wrong with some disagreement. We are on a forum.

Sole SGs:
                          Kobe Byrant, Ray Allen, Kevin Martin, Eric Gordon, Manu Ginobilli.

Sole Cs:
                          Dwight Howard, Brook Lopez, Roy Hibbert, Marc Gasol, Will Bynum

Edge: Sole SGs

Mixed SGs:
                          Dwayne Wade, Monta Ellis, Jason Terry, Rodney Stuckey, Gilbert Arenas

Mixed Cs:
                          Amare Stoudemire, Blake Griffin, Tim Duncan, Kevin Love, LeMarcus Aldridge, Zach Randolph, Luis Scola, Chris Bosh, Pau Gasol, Al Jefferson, Al Horford, Nene Hilario, Elton Brand

Edge: Mixed Cs

Overall Edge: Cs

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Get in on Google and gold. Both are going to be hot. Trust me.
                            Once the brakes are put on the Feds printing money in excess and devaluing the dollar gold will crash.

This should start to happen before the end of the year.

I would short gold at this point.

I have no comment on Google at this point.
                            Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Jan 15, 2011, 12:07 AM.
                            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

DeMar: 1 year pro, 1 year NCAA

Andrea: 5 years pro NBA, 4 years pro Euro ball and even still we're debating this?

'Nuff said. Andrea Sucks ass on D.
                              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

On the bright side both guys can only improve defensively.
                                Depends on the player

Who do you think is harder to guard

Dwight Howard or DeMar DeRozan?

or who was harder to guard

Kareem or Alvin Williams?

Or maybe

Shaq when he was under 33 or Jose at any time in his career?

Now if you want to ask who was harder to guard in their prime

Wilt or Michael you will get a heated argument.

Comment

Working...
                                X