Toronto's Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto's Options

Everyone seems to have an opinion on which direction the Raptors should go or what Colangelo should or shouldn't do with the expirings, draft picks, and TPE. The options include:

1) Tear it all apart and rebuild with a total youth movement. This would include dealing Jose, Barbosa, Evans, Peja for picks and very young players on rookie deals. The core of the team moving forward would be Bayless, DD, Davis, Johnson, and Bargnani. Decisions would have to be made on Weems, Dorsey, Wright, and Kleiza.

2) Continue on the path they are on with the team they have returning next year plus draft picks and whatever signings are done over the summer. The rookie contract players stay. Bargnani, Calderon, Kleiza, and Barbosa stay. Decisions to be made on Weems, Evans, Dorsey, Wright.

3) The Raptors make the playoffs - forget the future we might all be dead then anyways. Use the TPE and expirings to acquire an established player who has been rumoured to be available such as Gerald wallace, Boris Diaw, Chris Kaman, Andre Iguodala, Nene, or whoever else.

What would you do? Tear it down, stay the course, or forget development, the future is now.

If at all possible, reasons why and the names of players you would like to see here if suggesting tear it down or make the playoffs now.

Please no "Get rid of Bargnani" or "Bargnani is King!" I'm curious to see how Raptors fans around here want the rest of the season to play out.

I've said many times the decisions made over the next 7-8 months are going to shape the franchise for years to come - so no pressure in your thinking!
    Tear it down - bye, bye Jose, Evans, Barbo!
    48.15%
    Stay the course - keep everyone and add a couple of draft picks and free agents.
    37.04%
    Make the playoffs this year, the future is now. AI, Wallace, Kaman!
    14.81%

FWIW, I will post my thoughts later. I'm curious to see others - and I have to go out.

Comment

I think we are rebuilding, so we should make the most of it. Going into the playoffs this year, or in the next 3 would only be to gain experience. If we go for players like Iggy and Wallace we will be stuck in the 8th seed for the next few years, and it will not allow us to improve. I would keep the core tight, with Jose, Bargnani, Johnson, DD, Davis, Wright and Kleiza staying. Use our TPE for an expiring contract and a small, but bad contract. And use our Miami picks to get some young players. So I think we should have a balance between option 1 and 2.

Comment

i say tear it down if we can get some young talent back. we're never going to be a contender if we don't establish a solid core and you do that through the draft/projects.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Everyone seems to have an opinion on which direction the Raptors should go or what Colangelo should or shouldn't do with the expirings, draft picks, and TPE. The options include:

1) Tear it all apart and rebuild with a total youth movement. This would include dealing Jose, Barbosa, Evans, Peja for picks and very young players on rookie deals. The core of the team moving forward would be Bayless, DD, Davis, Johnson, and Bargnani. Decisions would have to be made on Weems, Dorsey, Wright, and Kleiza.

2) Continue on the path they are on with the team they have returning next year plus draft picks and whatever signings are done over the summer. The rookie contract players stay. Bargnani, Calderon, Kleiza, and Barbosa stay. Decisions to be made on Weems, Evans, Dorsey, Wright.

3) The Raptors make the playoffs - forget the future we might all be dead then anyways. Use the TPE and expirings to acquire an established player who has been rumoured to be available such as Gerald wallace, Boris Diaw, Chris Kaman, Andre Iguodala, Nene, or whoever else.

What would you do? Tear it down, stay the course, or forget development, the future is now.

If at all possible, reasons why and the names of players you would like to see here if suggesting tear it down or make the playoffs now.

Please no "Get rid of Bargnani" or "Bargnani is King!" I'm curious to see how Raptors fans around here want the rest of the season to play out.

I've said many times the decisions made over the next 7-8 months are going to shape the franchise for years to come - so no pressure in your thinking!
          The team is a mess that I would not even know what to do. BC created this team, he prepared his bed, so must he lie in it. In my opinion, I trade Bargs, Jose, Peja, Evans, Kleiza, Barbosa for draft picks - even a 2nd rounder and press the reset button on this team.

Consequently, get a good draft scout(from the San Antonio Spurs and OKC Thunder) and sack Jim Kelly, the director of draft scouting(a lot of gaffes in the draft, the DD pick is looking like a head-scratcher, how do you not know that a player has an atrocious defense like he has), take on some sort of large contracts with draft picks.

The motto for this team should be team reset - draft picks and veterans on large contracts willing to mentor the draft picks(and sold at the subsequent deadline for more draft picks). Get a defensive coach and sack Triano(an assistant coach from OKC, Spurs, Portland will be good since they have good defensive systems).

Comment

MLSE is gonna stay the course, so that means no using of the TPE, no using the Peja expiring, no use of the Reggie expiring. No one knows what next year is gonna look like because of the uncertainty of the new CBA.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
              The team is a mess that I would not even know what to do. BC created this team, he prepared his bed, so must he lie in it. In my opinion, I trade Bargs, Jose, Peja, Evans, Kleiza, Barbosa for draft picks - even a 2nd rounder and press the reset button on this team.
              For a second rounder? Common man. You think THAT helps the team? What a ridiculous thing to say.

(a lot of gaffes in the draft, the DD pick is looking like a head-scratcher, how do you not know that a player has an atrocious defense like he has), take on some sort of large contracts with draft picks.
              A head scratcher? Really? Unbelievable.
              We'll see if you're singing the same tune next year when he's the best pick out of that class.

an assistant coach from OKC, Spurs, Portland will be good since they have good defensive systems.
              You want Bryan to promote ANOTHER inexperienced Assistant Coach to the big seat? Another novel idea.

Why wouldn't the Raptors just fire BC and hire you?!
              Last edited by Joey; Sat Jan 15, 2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I am with Joe on a balance between 1&2 except I am ok with trading Calderon before he gets hurt again, try getting young or draft picks with Reggie and Peja and let the TPE expire or use for a $5M type contract. Keep Barbosa and look to extend at a cheaper rate. No QO for Julian but try to resign for a little over minimum.

Draft focus is wing first (dreaming of Terrence Jones) PG second if we can't get a solid PG through the trades (ideal since BC is prime in trades and marginal in free agency.)

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  i say tear it down if we can get some young talent back. we're never going to be a contender if we don't establish a solid core and you do that through the draft/projects.
                  Amen. Ummm, two, three games out of a playoff spot? That stuff is for suckers.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Keep Barbosa! He's not young but he has an excellent winning attitude. He could be that veteran who helps solidifies guys when they're losing and keeps them together. You want a winning culture and I think he brings something to the table for it.

Comment

I'm all for rebuilding but if u can get players like Kaman, Nene and Gerald Wallace why shouldn't we?! if u wanna have something to say in this league u need veterans like this in your team.

Comment

If we finish with the 6th pick (at present moment we currently hold), we might have to use that Miami first to trade up. I do hope Barbosa picks up his PO for next season.

Comment

Basically we lack guys who can play on both ends of the floor. It's been one or the other for a significant number of seasons now. Our "core" just isn't good enough, and imo won't be getting much better from what they are at this point. So we need better main guys. If that involves dealing away Bargs, Jose, DD, Reggie etc. then so be it.

Amir, Leandro, and Ed are all players I'd like to keep, but don't see them as starters (at least not yet for Ed) on a winning team.

So I say tear it down, but only if we get better players/prospects in return. If all we get are the same one-dimensonal type of players, then what would be the point? If that's the case then I'd rather try and see whether Demar can learn to play defense or pass a basketball, or dribble and finish in traffic without getting blocked/stripped 9/10 times. Or if Ed Davis' only real issue is his bulk.

Comment

I think one of Ed, Amir and Andrea will have to go in the coming years. All three should be playing power foward.

Comment

I want to wait and see how the rest of the season goes and what the new CBA looks like other than saying that the two positions that I think the Raptors need to upgrade the most at this point are SF and PG with SF being way out in front unless the Raptors can get a real impact player and game changer at the PG spot in the upcoming draft.

I would trade Bargnani before either Davis or Johnson if the Raptors could get a real stud SF who can score and defend. Right now the Raptors still need Bargnani's scoring. However if they can add a real stud at SF then I would replace Bargnani at Center with someone who can defend and rebound. In addition if the Raptors add a Center who can defend and rebound that will allow Johnson more opportunities to get out on the fast break because he won't be needed to rebound as much.

Having Johnson teamed up with a Center who can defend and rebound would provide awesome interior defense make the Raptors transition game even that much more potent, could one say devastating?

Yea I think they could. Imagine having a Center who could defend and rebound along with Johnson and a PG like D. Rose. Awesome, truly awesome.

The only reason for keeping Bargnani long term is if the Raptors can not add another big time scorer at the SF spot or get a game changer impact PG.
                              Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Jan 15, 2011, 04:45 PM.
                              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                              X