Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assessment at the half way point

http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=350111

Jack Armstrong has his 5 points he would change in the second half of the season. What do you think? Would you make any changes?

I'd change the coach. Triano seems to have trouble motivating certain players to do the job they are paid to do, i.e. Bargnani on defense. And he fails to play Julian Wright enough when the team clearly performs better as a whole during games that Wright plays significant minutes. His endgame schemes have never appeared to be very clever. He juggles line-ups as if he's a compulsive gambler searching for his lucky number. Finally, when you see him interviewed post-game, he just seems like he's too nice, too soft-spoken and too sanguine to be an NBA level coach.

Besides, the team has Alex English on staff. Just his name commands respect. I think he could probably motivate the players better, though that's just a hunch. Why this loyalty to Triano? Is it just because he's Canadian? If that's the catch, then go deal whatever it takes to get Steve Nash for chrissakes. But I really can't imagine anyone cares about that.

Comment

The assessment is simple: We're in ping-pong ball mode

We have a realistic shot at finishing in the bottom two in the league. Skew the minute distribution...ratchet up youth minutes and pull back on the vets. More minutes for Ed and JBay etc....less for Bargs and Jose. Not a full out "bench and tank"...just redistribute the minutes...

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
        http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=350111

Jack Armstrong has his 5 points he would change in the second half of the season. What do you think? Would you make any changes?
        Overall it seems to be a well thought out and written piece. I would give it a A-
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Beagle wrote: View Post
          I'd change the coach. Triano seems to have trouble motivating certain players to do the job they are paid to do, i.e. Bargnani on defense. And he fails to play Julian Wright enough when the team clearly performs better as a whole during games that Wright plays significant minutes. His endgame schemes have never appeared to be very clever. He juggles line-ups as if he's a compulsive gambler searching for his lucky number. Finally, when you see him interviewed post-game, he just seems like he's too nice, too soft-spoken and too sanguine to be an NBA level coach.

Besides, the team has Alex English on staff. Just his name commands respect. I think he could probably motivate the players better, though that's just a hunch. Why this loyalty to Triano? Is it just because he's Canadian? If that's the catch, then go deal whatever it takes to get Steve Nash for chrissakes. But I really can't imagine anyone cares about that.
          Triano for sure is no VDN who is showing with the Clippers this season, of course he has Blake and EJ, that he is a very good coach.

Ivaroni who everyone here dumped on because of the Raptors bad defense appears to have the Clippers playing good overall defense especially at home and they too are a very young team.

I am fine with the coaching staff. It seems to me to be more a question of the ability and consistent effort of the players than the coaching staff. PJ has an excellent reputation as a defensive coach throughout his career. He wouldn't have been Pops defensive coach for years if he wasn't good at it.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I think Triano needs some credit. How do you manage having just 7 guys play in the last game with none of them being SG or SF. He's done an admirable job with the injuries. plus let's not forget that at the beginning of the season we were overachieving and talking about playoffs. Defense had improved, guys were playing hard and we were winning. That's not the case now and it's because there's a lack of talent to push us over the edge, not because the coach doesn't know what to do.

Comment

Agreed albertan. Even if you wanted a new coach what would the benefit be of bringing one in now? It would just be cosmetic.

Comment

Well, maybe...

Those are all good points in defense of Triano. I do like him and wish him success, but as I said, I just sometimes wonder if he can motivate his players enough. But, I'm sure he knows a lot more about the sport than I do! Who knows, maybe he is motivating Julian Wright in a positive fashion by using him only sporadically.

Here's hoping Bargs comes 'round and realizes his absent-minded defense is severely costing the team. Maybe Triano will start screaming at him one of these days. Just imagine how many games might have been won had Bargnani simply positioned himself better or grabbed a few easy defensive boards. It's heartbreaking. Doesn't he read the newspaper stories about himself?

Comment

“DeMar’s being spoiled right now with the number of minutes that he’s getting because of our lineup. I told him ‘you’ve got to play every possession like you were on a team where you were only getting 18 minutes a game.’ I don’t want him to form bad habits and ‘Dre’s in the same boat. You have to do other things so that when there are games that you don’t score points, that you are contributing to us in other facets. Those two aren’t alone, though.”
                  This is a quote that I took from Doug Smith's blog. It's Triano and I think anyone could agree that he has less leverage on people right now just because of the multiple injuries

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                    Triano for sure is no VDN who is showing with the Clippers this season, of course he has Blake and EJ, that he is a very good coach.

Ivaroni who everyone here dumped on because of the Raptors bad defense appears to have the Clippers playing good overall defense especially at home and they too are a very young team.

I am fine with the coaching staff. It seems to me to be more a question of the ability and consistent effort of the players than the coaching staff. PJ has an excellent reputation as a defensive coach throughout his career. He wouldn't have been Pops defensive coach for years if he wasn't good at it.
                    100% agree. At the start of the season i was lobbying for Triano's removal but now, you kinda see its not entirely his fault. I think were some moments that he should have been faulted but the more you analyze the situations, the more you see that its because of the player's laziness or carelessness that blundered the play. I think Triano already knows his players and he knows when to use them, its just the players who are not rising up to their capabilities.

Like i always say, its just the desire and aggresiveness to do things on the court. DD had it in him all along, he just recently figured out that hey, i can actually score more points by sticking to my drives.

Comment

at the halfway point, they're exactly where i thought they'd be. on pace to win 25-30 games this season, with a young developing group of players. im enjoying this season.

Comment

Working...
                      X