Raps buying out Peja today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raps buying out Peja today

Thats a shame I would have been down to see him play at least some minutes before this happened ah well
    @STEIN_LINE_HQ
    Marc Stein
    Just filed to ESPN.com: Raptors close to buyout of sharpshooter Peja Stojakovic. Buyout scheduled to be completed later today. Link to come
    via: http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ

I'm not surprised by this. Evans' contract will run out and won't be traded. The TPE won't be used either.

Comment

Yeah, that's how it looks. The TPE was sold on the fans as assets and now will be dropped with little uproar from fans. If the Raptors had only gotten the picks for Bosh in the off-season and not the TPE there would have been a huge uproar. Timing.

Comment

I think the TPE would have been used had we performed above expectations are were a somewhat lock for the playoffs.

This is the right move however. I agree with it.

Comment

What does this do in terms of the salary cap?...not quite sure how it all works...are they still effectively operating as if Peja's full contract still counts toward the cap, or does this put them under the cap?

Comment

What do we gain from buying him out and not trading him? Is it just that Colangelo wants to have financial freedom and doesn't want to take on other contracts in a trade?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Yeah, that's how it looks. The TPE was sold on the fans as assets and now will be dropped with little uproar from fans. If the Raptors had only gotten the picks for Bosh in the off-season and not the TPE there would have been a huge uproar. Timing.
              TPE can't be used all at once and only portions of it can be used as "filler" in a deal. I also wished we got actual functioning players from the Bosh deal, but not using any large amount of TPE is making the deal look like the Raps got hosed big-time on the deal.

T-oilet
              P-aper
              E-verybody!

Comment

I don't the the TPE will necessarily not be used. It just won't be used to do what some people wanted it for, and that was to bring in a half decent veteran who would help the team. I never, ever saw any point in that. It still could be used like Oklahoma used their cap space, and that was to acquire draft picks. That's the only thing I wanted to see done with the TPE.

As for Peja, I'm not surprised. There are plenty of teams that are going to have cap space this summer, and not a lot of premium free agents.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
                  TPE can't be used all at once and only portions of it can be used as "filler" in a deal. I also wished we got actual functioning players from the Bosh deal, but not using any large amount of TPE is making the deal look like the Raps got hosed big-time on the deal.

T-oilet
                  P-aper
                  E-verybody!
                  Didn't the Jazz used all of their TPE (from s & t with Chicago for Boozer) in a deal with Minnesota to get Jefferson?

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                    What does this do in terms of the salary cap?...not quite sure how it all works...are they still effectively operating as if Peja's full contract still counts toward the cap, or does this put them under the cap?
                    He's still showing as on the books, so we're not under the cap. Just means that the rest of his contract has been "bought" out and he's a FA. We have cleared up a space on the roster.

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                      What do we gain from buying him out and not trading him? Is it just that Colangelo wants to have financial freedom and doesn't want to take on other contracts in a trade?
                      I think that he just doesn't want to take on any long term contracts. We either could have let him stay in street clothes and on the bench while he slowly collects the remains of his salary or we just pay him out at once, free up a roster spot and allow him to join another team so perhaps he has a chance to play for a contender - that is, if he's healthy.

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
                        TPE can't be used all at once and only portions of it can be used as "filler" in a deal.
                        Do you have a source for this because I'm inclined to believe it's incorrect...

Comment

I'd say that the TPE does not have to be used all at once. I think there is a bit of flexibility in how they use it. Why people were talking about Peja as a trade chip because of his expiring contract? Given the size of the contract, the Raps would likely be taking a lot of money back and I am not sure we'd get useful pieces in return.

Comment

sillydebate wrote: View Post
                            I'd say that the TPE does not have to be used all at once. I think there is a bit of flexibility in how they use it. Why people were talking about Peja as a trade chip because of his expiring contract? Given the size of the contract, the Raps would likely be taking a lot of money back and I am not sure we'd get useful pieces in return.
                            The TPE doesn't have to be used all at once. The Bayless/Stojakovic for Banks-Andersen-Jack-TPE is a recent example. Colangelo only used a small part of it. I think Colangelo used all of the TPE from the Turkoglu-Barbosa deal for Andersen.

I would say if there wasn't economic uncertainty looming, Peja's contract would have been dealt to a team looking for cap relief for a disgruntled player with a long(er) term contract.

Comment

Apparently Peja wants to play for the Lakers, Mavs, or Hornets.
                              Ugh please not the Lakers. Cmon Peja don't u remember your Kings days???
                              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Working...
                              X